Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

I know that win % isn't an ideal indicator of success/failure but it's the most easily accessible thanks to Wiki. All the talk of managers relative merits based on previous success at other clubs raised my interest as to whether there was indeed any correlation between a manager who had "done well" at his previous club and his relative success at Motherwell.

With that in mind here's a handy cut out and keep reference of our previous managers and their club records prior to joining Motherwell. Draw your own conclusions;

Baraclough:

Silgo Rovers - 51.16%

Scunthorpe - 23.53%

McCall:

Bradford - 34.59%

Brown:

Preston - 33.96%

Gannon:

Stockport - 43.41%

Dundalk - 36.11%

McGhee:

Brighton - 28.78%

Millwall - 46.01%

Wolves - 40.88%

Leicester - 31.37%

Reading - 43.17%

Malpas:

First managerial appointment

Butcher:

Sunderland (1993) - 30.23%

Coventry (1990-92) - 33.33%

Black:

Davies:

Kampman:

Information not available

McLeish:

• Like 1

Our league same level than Scottish league without having Celtic. But when talking about fun culture difference huge compared to Scottish League. Football not that big thing here in Finland. SJK different kind of club couse we also focus small things and players dont need to worry about anything when being here. Budget now about 2 milion euros and its going to double next season. They are building new football stadium here, its ready next season when hopefully playing Champions League games. Few weeks ago Liverpool send their new Brazilian £500 000 signing our club so we surely has some quality our club. You guys need to be fast before Liverpool contact Simo, prepare giving some cash :biggrin:

I've seen reports stating that Valakari has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave him for free if a club in the UK comes in for him. It might be the case that the clause also stipulates he can't leave mid-season, hence the current wait.

Who were the runners in the press before McLean and mcleish got the job?

If I remember right, Sandy Clark was the rumor when kampmann got it, Ian McCall and Colin lee were touted before black got it. Can't remember the suspects when McGhee was appointed either.

Ladbrokes have stop taking bets on Yogi Hughes going to Dundee Utd.

Mixu maybe hasn't cut the mustard.

As for Finland, they love their acronym's don't they? Valakari's record against the top teams is virtually identical to McCall's last full season where we hardly picked up any against top 6 but took almost maximum against bottom 6.

Hehe yeah and I think foreign people like when we use those. SJK = Seinäjoen jalkapallokerho, HIFK = Idrottsföreningen Kamraterna, HJK = Helsingin jalkapalloklubi :biggrin::offtopic:

• Like 2

It might be the case that the clause also stipulates he can't leave mid-season, hence the current wait.

Or it might just be that his team are 2 games from winning the title, hence the current wait!

Id imagine there must be a clause tho,if we are indeed chasing him then it doesnt make much sense to be waiting a month or more AND having to pay a release fee to get him when we have decent free and available options right now

You would have thought that the club would have been aware that Simo would be unlikely to leave until the end of the Finnish season given their circumstances (added to the fact he's still under contract).

So seeing as they've also gone on record last week as saying they "hope to make an appointment prior to the next game after the international break" (http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/09/30/club-statement-new-manager-update-2/) then that would suggest to me that he's unlikely to be an option and that all the chat that's been flying around is his agent putting his name about.

You would have thought that the club would have been aware that Simo would be unlikely to leave until the end of the Finnish season given their circumstances (added to the fact he's still under contract).

So seeing as they've also gone on record last week as saying they "hope to make an appointment prior to the next game after the international break" (http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/09/30/club-statement-new-manager-update-2/) then that would suggest to me that he's unlikely to be an option and that all the chat that's been flying around is his agent putting his name about.

Maybe the club made that statement without prior knowledge of the various applicants and their individual contract situations. Possibly just voicing a preferred scenario for having a new manager in place ?

Maybe the club made that statement without prior knowledge of the various applicants and their individual contract situations. Possibly just voicing a preferred scenario for having a new manager in place ?

Possibly. Though Valakari's application went in around 24th September https://twitter.com/vatavision/status/647101340271906820 and that statement went out on the 30th. They do say they were spending last week completing the selection process so you may be right.

As I say, I've no idea one way or another. However most of the talk from the club following Baraclough leaving was that we were looking to make an appointment fairly quickly. Unless they genuinely think that Simo is the best candidate by an absolute mile I don't really see us waiting over a month before we're officially able to speak to his employer.

• Like 1

I've seen reports stating that Valakari has a clause in his contract which allows him to leave him for free if a club in the UK comes in for him. It might be the case that the clause also stipulates he can't leave mid-season, hence the current wait.

Simo only coach 3 division team and young academy players before coming SJK. I can not imagine he would get deal he can just leave our club between contract. They would not never hire Simo if he demand something like that. Surely if Liverpool or Tottenham want Simo then its different situation. But it can not be way where same size of clubs are just stealing our players and coaches for free. Hans Backe is our new national team coach and there are rumors that Simo might be his assistance coach. But If Simo goes Scotland and fail then its hard him to get new opportunities from UK. Maybe Simo should practice more and get more experience before going Scotland. I think working with Hans Backe would be amazing opportunity for him.

Edited by SJK

IF Simo is the man for the job, I think it would be worth waiting a couple of weeks.

I'd also think more of Simo if he stayed and won the league with them, than ditched his team at this stage.

If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd all expect him to stay.

He applied for the job, so we're not "stealing" him. He at least views us as a bigger club (and our 130 years of history, exposure to European football, and other facts back this up) or else he wouldn't have applied. He will also see Motherwell or derby as good opportunities to get exposure in the UK.

Whether Motherwell wants him or not remains to be seen, but if we do, it will happen.

Does anyone else feel that this process seems to take too long? I can understand the theory that the club must take time to get the right man but back in November the process was lengthy and it appears now that we got the wrong man.

Dundee Utd have been manager-less for 10 days and could be close, if rumour is to believed in appointing shortly. Liverpool look as though they will take less than 7 days to appointment.

It is now 2 weeks since Baraclough was sacked with no real sign that we will hear news any time soon. It took from Wednesday to the following Monday for the board to even meet to decide the way forward. It just all seems a bit slow.

I know that in business these appointments can take time for a number of reasons, but they say that in football a week is a long time so it would seem that maybe what is an acceptable timescale in business may not be in football.

Maybe I am just getting frustrated by the lack of news but there does seem to be me to be a slight lack of urgency both this time and the last time.

• Like 2

Utd and Liverpool, it would seem, had replacements in their sights before sacking their current managers. We did not.

If there were 75 applicants, it could easily take a week to sift through them all and come up with a short list. I know standard wisdom where I work is that it typically takes 2 - 3 months to fill an open spot. Obviously a little different here, but 2 or 3 weeks doesn't seem like an age, tbh.

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel that this process seems to take too long?

Yes, I do. I'm not saying we should rush matters unduly but as you said last time around we were painfully slow in making an appointment, although there were mitigating factors. Perhaps its because we are doing things by committee where as at Tannadice one man will decide. They also had targets in mind whereas we were not confident enough and decided to wait on applications arriving. Despite the lengthy and seemingly painstaking process last time we still got it wrong big time.

I'm not really sure it can be claimed it's taking ages. The club updated last week and gave a rough timeline of when they hoped to have someone appointed; the end of next week.

To spend a week sorting through applications and use the 2 week international break for interviews hardly seems an unreasonable amount of time.

I'd imagine there may be other factors at play as well; the United job being available may have meant there were applicants in for both jobs (Mixu? Irvine?), if McGhee is in our plans then the upcoming Scotland games may be a factor, while the situation with Valakari is well covered and beyond that raises the question of whether he's such an outstanding candidate that it would be worth our while waiting to try and get him and even then, run the risk of it not happening which would leave us in heading into November without a permanent manager. Given McAllister only left Liverpool on Monday and has been linked with the job before would that maybe unexpectedly come into our thinking. Who knows?

At the moment it's all just speculation and given we've never been a club to play this sort of thing out in the media then it's hardly surprising there's not a lot of news kicking about. I wouldn't expect the club to be sending out updates at every juncture. Beyond making a statement suggesting when they hoped to have someone in place they've been quite right to not run about making statements.

• Like 1

Who were the runners in the press before McLean and mcleish got the job?

If I remember right, Sandy Clark was the rumor when kampmann got it, Ian McCall and Colin lee were touted before black got it. Can't remember the suspects when McGhee was appointed either.

I remember Peter Reid being quoted at some point