Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Two things are becoming very clear from this thread:

1. No one has a clue who the next manager will be.

2. Whoever is appointed, even before his very first game in charge, a section of the 'support' will already have said "No thanks" or "Not for me" and will have decided he is doomed to fail.

I think that is somewhat generalist. Of course nobody knows who will be the next Motherwell manager and of course, this is a fans forum. Put the two together and you will get opinion, conjecture, optimism, debate and dare I say scepticism.

Yes of course there will be some who will not approve of whoever the manager will be and there may even be a few who will voice that opinion on this forum, in the pub or at fir park. But hasn't it always been the case?

I will always remember some of the dogs abuse wee tam used to get but yet he is now revered.

Given the mood on here regarding McGhee, I think that is clear indication of the open mindedness of the majority regarding who the next gaffer would be.

So in essence, if you have an issue with people voicing opinion based on conjecture, perhaps you ought not bother reading this thread anymore so it doesn't wind you up any further.

I think that is somewhat generalist. Of course nobody knows who will be the next Motherwell manager and of course, this is a fans forum. Put the two together and you will get opinion, conjecture, optimism, debate and dare I say scepticism.

Yes of course there will be some who will not approve of whoever the manager will be and there may even be a few who will voice that opinion on this forum, in the pub or at fir park. But hasn't it always been the case?

I will always remember some of the dogs abuse wee tam used to get but yet he is now revered.

Given the mood on here regarding McGhee, I think that is clear indication of the open mindedness of the majority regarding who the next gaffer would be.

So in essence, if you have an issue with people voicing opinion based on conjecture, perhaps you ought not bother reading this thread anymore so it doesn't wind you up any further.

Well said..... If you can't discuss things on a forum, then what's the point in it existing.

I don't know why so many people rate, or would want a caracter like Brown. He only appeared half decent based on what he followed but we didn't move on with him and were in the same position when he left as when he came. A despicable man who was worse than McGhee when it came to tarting himself around. At least you could argue McGhee was at a stage in his career where it was a reasonable attitude to look for a "bigger" club and ones he had some affiliation with. Brown did NOTHING for Motherwell. I'd rather have an ambitious manager who tried something than a pathetic steadying of ship whose only aspiration is to avoid relegation.

I have said it before and say it again. Does everyone know the exact circumstances behind McGhee tarting himself around ?

There is more to it than him looking for a bigger better job.

I would have him back more than most of the names in the frame.

• Like 1

Does everyone know the exact circumstances behind McGhee tarting himself around ?

Looking back, he certainly felt himself a shoe in for the Celtic job, he also had opportunities to go to Hearts and even Scotland, at no point did he say no to any of these posts, despite the Scotland one coming up during the time the club were grieving Phil O'Donnell to which McGhee said "I would only consider the Scotland job with Motherwell's blessing"

Let's hear your "more to it than him looking for a bigger job"

• Like 1

Looking back, he certainly felt himself a shoe in for the Celtic job, he also had opportunities to go to Hearts and even Scotland, at no point did he say no to any of these posts, despite the Scotland one coming up during the time the club were grieving Phil O'Donnell to which McGhee said "I would only consider the Scotland job with Motherwell's blessing"

Let's hear your "more to it than him looking for a bigger job"

Maybe we could not afford to keep him ....

Brown did what any manager would surely have achieved with the squad he inherited as the performances in January (cup excluded) after a shocking December when Gannon was obviously losing it were probably as much about relief from the players as anything else. His tactics were terrible and we scraped top 6 and finished 09/10 badly with Euro qualification down to Utds cup win.

I'll give you Randolph as a positive but then minus Hollis, similarly Blackman loan cancelled out by Casagolda/Gow.

Losing both legs against Odense with only goal scored in injury time is not a "bawhair" from qualification.

Anyway apart from my obvious dislike for Brown, my point is that I don't just want a journeyman to "stabilise" what is I think a reasonable squad with potential, I would prefer a manager with a bit of ambition.

I have said it before and say it again. Does everyone know the exact circumstances behind McGhee tarting himself around ?

There is more to it than him looking for a bigger better job.

I would have him back more than most of the names in the frame.

Well said Iain. I'd take back Mark McGhee before Craig Brown. Contrary to all the internet tittle tattle McGhee played fair by us. Craig Brown is not the amiable avuncular character I originally thought he was.

There's a simple fact that too many of us don't seem to understand and it works for both managers and players.

If we had a winger who had an engine, gave 110%, covered back, footballing brain and was able to land a cross on a 50p piece then he wouldn't be playing for us. We instead get Humphrey/Ainsworth (while both accomplished and have a number of qualities, they aren't fully rounded). If they did have all the attributes then they wouldn't be at Motherwell, it's as simple as that.

That rule extends to the manager. If we want an experienced guy with a proven track record of making silk purses out of sow's ears then we either:

a) can't afford him or

b) he wouldn't be interested in Motherwell

i) unless he's got a reputation to rebuild (scandal/unsuccessful/etc.) or

ii) old and see's it as his last job

Alternative is a young, untested manager keen to make a stamp on things, with this option:

a) we take a gamble with a 50-50 chance of it working

b) respect from players may be an issue unless he has achieved something at a high level (example being a Brian McClair)

Regardless who we get, this forum will bring out the best and worst elements of our support and modern social media. Plenty will run him down before a ball is kicked, some because of any of his previous footballing links, some due to conjecture and hearsay and some purely for his hairdo/outfit he wore in 1995 or name he gave his dug.

One thing is certain, a few will have it in their arsenal to come on here in a few months time and profess their acumen and insight if things don't go to plan. I like to refer to them as the "told you so's".

To be fair I think there's very few candidates out there that we could attract that would get a universal thumbs up from our support.

• Like 5

There's a simple fact that too many of us don't seem to understand and it works for both managers and players.

If we had a winger who had an engine, gave 110%, covered back, footballing brain and was able to land a cross on a 50p piece then he wouldn't be playing for us. We instead get Humphrey/Ainsworth (while both accomplished and have a number of qualities, they aren't fully rounded). If they did have all the attributes then they wouldn't be at Motherwell, it's as simple as that.

That rule extends to the manager. If we want an experienced guy with a proven track record of making silk purses out of sow's ears then we either:

a) can't afford him or

Alternative is a young, untested manager keen to make a stamp on things, with this option:

a) we take a gamble with a 50-50 chance of it working

b) respect from players may be an issue unless he has achieved something at a high level (example being a Brian McClair)

Regardless who we get, this forum will bring out the best and worst elements of our support and modern social media. Plenty will run him down before a ball is kicked, some because of any of his previous footballing links, some due to conjecture and hearsay and some purely for his hairdo/outfit he wore in 1995 or name he gave his dug.

One thing is certain, a few will have it in their arsenal to come on here in a few months time and profess their acumen and insight if things don't go to plan. I like to refer to them as the "told you so's".

To be fair I think there's very few candidates out there that we could attract that would get a universal thumbs up from our support.

Especially now Klopp has taken the Liverpool job.

If we want an experienced guy with a proven track record of making silk purses out of sow's ears then we either:

a) can't afford him or

There are experienced managers out there who would be interested in coming to us, who have a decent track record. The question is at what level? Managers of smaller clubs or clubs of a similar level may well be interested in our vacancy.

The problem is that our level, any guy with experience of management in England who would apply, will have a mixed track record at best. English football being what it is even small clubs ostensibly have cash, out of kilter with their actual size.

Whether or not a candidate has English management experience matters not a jot to me. The fact that someone may have managed in the English Championship is neither here nor there - it should depend on what someone has achieved in that league. Treat each candidate on their merit.

I agree that the successful candidate will not enjoy the universal approval of our support - I would not expect them to. Human nature being what it is, if you ask 10 fans or employees of a company or charity or whatever what kind of managerial candidate they would prefer and you'll get a variety of answers. If our new manager is being selected by committee then its quite possible the individual members will have varying opinions.

Who mentioned England?

Baraclough had a impressive resume from his time at Sligo (albeit in a lesser league), at time has shown the transition to the SPFL was beyond him (as has been proven by a number of League of Ireland managers who have ended up over here).

No one did. However, you wrote "If we want an experienced guy with a proven track record of making silk purses out of sow's ears then we either: a) can't afford him...."

That implies that the candidate in question had managed at a higher/more financially lucrative level. OK you didn't mention England specifically and that qualification could equally apply to say Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands and France for example. However in reality, we haven't appointed many managers from the likes of these countries (can't think of any off hand but I might be wrong). In practice it has tended to be from England (Gannon & McCall).

I agree with your comment about managers who have come from Irish clubs - they have not tended to do well here and may not have been au fait with the level of our game.