Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

I was never his biggest fan first time around. And right now I fear what this will do to our proposed strategy of bringing through young players. Don't recall too many of our own youths getting a chance under McGhee last time round...

Surely our new manager will have been briefed that we have to develop our own talent now and they will be getting the job on the expectation of that being carried out.

Also not convinced that it's McGhee at this stage about 10 months ago we expected Van Der Gaag to be unveiled the following day.

On the basis of hawking himself around first time, it's surely wasn't any worse than what Stephen Pearson and his reps did in his final season at Motherwell and we've all (almost all?) been man enough to forgive and forget that.

As for his actual ability to do the job? That's a different debate entirely.

• Like 1

If it is McGhee, then there's two sides to that particular animal .....

1. The guy that delivered some of the best, slick football ever witnessed at FP, who brought a team back from Austria looking like they could handgliding with Dorito's. Turned Jim Paterson into an adept player.

2. Can anyone remember his last press conference at Aberdeen? Pivoting on his chair with his hands behind his head, arrogant and couldn't give a tuppenny fuck that his team was chronic.

I've pointed out before I think the dressing room has too much influence on affairs and is a tad militant. I think we have enough players of quality there that McGhee could do conjure something similar to his first season. Interesting to see if there's a revolt as he will instinctively lay down the law.

• Like 1

Of all the names mentioned, Mark McGhee is the only one that I would feel an immediate confidence in turning things around.

If nothing else, he'd get them fit, more disciplined and lasting the full 90. Mcghee has the ability of turning the 'small margins' that we have been losing by into draws and wins.

Yeah, the way he went last time did leave a bad taste in the mouth but that is football. What must the SJK fans be thinking about Simo openly applying for the Motherwell job with 2 years left on his contract? Yet not a mention of him being a sell out scummer on Motherwell forums because of course he'd be coming to us and not leaving us.

Time is a healer and results even more so.

• Like 4

Everyone keeps talking about the way he left last time....FFS.

Hawking himself about left, right and centre....

Maybe just maybe there is more to it than that as alluded to in an earlier email.

I would be happy with his return. Not sure it will work out, but every appointment we make is a gamble of sorts.

Better than most names bandied about including Valakari imho

• Like 1

If he starts winning games an gets us playing attacking entertaining football all will be forgiven. If he doesnt he will get about 5mins in the job and could be out the door by the summer.

Folk wanted experience. He has managed at a higher level for longer than any of the other candidates.

Cant say Im doing cartwheels but Im happy to give him a second chance.

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is, MFCs managerial appointments will always split the support. We're never going to hire a proven top class manager; it's a shoot out between young, inexperienced guys who haven't proved anything, to old heads who haven't set the heather on fire - but can provide a steadying of the ship.

Like any fanbase, most of us will have a bleat and moan about the appointments we make, citing the past as a reason to bring down the present.

At the end of the day, every fan, player, manager and employee of the club wants success.

This appointment might not inspire you, infact it might make you fucking raging, but when it comes to a Saturday - we need to all pull in the same direction and get the club off its arse. Let's get behind whoever sin charge on Saturday and get some points on the board.

• Like 1

Agree with all of that welldaft, never really got the hatred thing with mcghee but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

For me I would always rather have a manager leave to go to a bigger club as it means he's done well here as opposed to having to sit through defeat after defeat meaning we have to wait for them to resign or sack them.

Finally on the point on bringing through the youth, there has to be something to develop first. And the evidence points to the fact there isn't much and hasn't been much for years coming through that we can develop. I haven't noticed any of the guys we've released getting big money moves to England which suggests that maybe the youngsters we've had aren't/weren't good enough.

I think he's a safer bet than most of the other runners and riders.

Pissed me off when he headed for Sheep country, but impressed me hugely in the aftermath of Phil O'Donnell's death.

I would agree he had us fit and playing slick football, and I think he will look to impose his discipline from the off. Quash any insurrection in the ranks and not be too bothered about bruising a few of our delicate wee flowers egos.

That said, I'll have to review my thoughts when Pep Guardiola is unveiled tomorrow!