Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

:haha: no chance

We have a side on paper more than good enough to compete for a place in the top half of the table. If McGhee can make a threat out of McGarry, Paterson & Clarkson imagine what he can do with Ainsworth, Johnson, Thomas, Moult, McDonald etc etc!

I think he's a safe pair of hands that'll kick some much needed arse!! I feel more confident he can do a better job than some the names touted about!!

i'm hoping with age and a bit more realism, he's more settled at Fir Park than he was before.

Whatever happens, he deserves respect, even from our most ridiculous fans, due to the way he handled the Phil situation.

We have a side on paper more than good enough to compete for a place in the top half of the table. If McGhee can make a threat out of McGarry, Paterson & Clarkson imagine what he can do with Ainsworth, Johnson, Thomas, Moult, McDonald etc etc!

I hope you are right :)

With McGhee at the helm, I'm feeling fairly optimistic about the season again

Based on? What he did with us eight years ago? Or what he did afterwards with Aberdeen and Bristol Rovers?

He's been out of the club game for three years and his record in the past eight years has been absolutely shambolic if we're honest.

On the plus side he's coming in just in time to get hammered off Celtic, after which he'll give a post-match interview where he gushes over their "Champions League quality", and how we "can't possibly compete with them" and so on.

Mark McGhee will hold his first news conference since returning for a second spell as Motherwell manager and you can watch it live on STV. McGhee arrived at Fir Park with the club's general manager Alan Burrows and will address the media from 5.30pm. You can watch his news conference here.

The 58-year-old, who has been working as Gordon Strachan’s assistant with the Scotland national team, has replaced Ian Baraclough following the Englishman’s sacking last month.

McGhee enjoyed a spell as boss at Fir Park between 2007 and 2009 before leaving to join his former club Aberdeen. The Steelmen finished third in 2007/08 and qualified for Europe in the process with a team containing future Scotland internationals Ross McCormack and Mark Reynolds.

Motherwell sit ninth in the Scottish Premiership table with ten points from their opening ten games but were knocked out of the League Cup by Greenock Morton.

Caretaker boss Stephen Craigan has overseen a victory over Partick Thistle and defeat to Dundee.

Ex-Motherwell midfielder Simo Valakari and former Kilmarnock boss Mixu Paatelainen had both been linked with the vacancy.

Mark McGhee will hold his first news conference since returning for a second spell as Motherwell manager and you can watch it live on STV. McGhee arrived at Fir Park with the club's general manager Alan Burrows and will address the media from 5.30pm. You can watch his news conference here.

The 58-year-old, who has been working as Gordon Strachan’s assistant with the Scotland national team, has replaced Ian Baraclough following the Englishman’s sacking last month.

McGhee enjoyed a spell as boss at Fir Park between 2007 and 2009 before leaving to join his former club Aberdeen, where he finished 9th in his first season before getting the boot the following year after losing 9-0 to Celtic. After that he joined Bristol Rovers where he got the sack after less than a year for taking the club to 23rd in League 2.

Motherwell sit ninth in the Scottish Premiership table with ten points from their opening ten games but were knocked out of the League Cup by Greenock Morton.

Caretaker boss Stephen Craigan has overseen a victory over Partick Thistle and defeat to Dundee.

Ex-Motherwell midfielder Simo Valakari and former Kilmarnock boss Mixu Paatelainen had both been linked with the vacancy.

Just added some more facts to that report there.

. Mark McGhee returns as Motherwell boss

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Mark McGhee returns as Motherwell boss

Motherwell FC is today delighted to confirm the appointment of Mark McGhee as manager.

McGhee was formerly Motherwell manager between 2007 and 2009, when he led the Steelmen to third place in the league table after a sensational debut season, guiding the team back into European football for the first time in twelve years.

Whilst his second season at Fir Park didnt reach the heights of the first, he did again guide the club into the first ever season of the new Europa League.

The experienced coach, who is the current assistant manager at the Scottish National side, has also managed Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall, Brighton, Aberdeen and Bristol Rovers and has signed a deal until May 2017.

The 58-year old was the unanimous choice of the Motherwell Board and will be in charge from Saturdays home match with Celtic at Fir Park.

Commenting, Mark said: I am delighted to be back at Fir Park and Motherwell, a club in which I have a real affection for after some fantastic highs and tragic lows in my last spell.

I was really keen to get back into club management, but the destination was important. Ive had several things put to me over the last few years, but it was important I returned at a club that was close to my heart and was a real challenge.

Ive spoken with the Owner and the Board and the direction and focus to make this club this best it can be was hugely attractive. There is a real drive and determination to achieve our aims and objectives, and I want to help by putting an attractive, winning team on the pitch.

Chairman Brian McCaffery commented: After a rigorous process, Mark was the outstanding candidate and the Board were delighted he has agreed to return. We hope he brings stability and on-field success and helps the club achieve its ambitious goals in the months and years ahead.

Majority shareholder Les Hutchison added: The Football Committee have undertaken a very rigorous selection process and considered over 80 applicants and interviewed a very strong short list of candidates before making their recommendation to the Chairman and myself. I was delighted to talk in detail with Mark about the future plans for the club and he demonstrated a real enthusiasm for the task ahead. I was pleased he was the unanimous choice of the Board and wish him every success in his new role. [\quote]