Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Which is partly the reason I wanted the poll. Often the loudest voices, or the ones we remember the most on here, on twitter, are those in the negative camp. More people will complain than those who come out to be positive.

The poll currently clearly shows a large majority are happy with the appointment which is good for the club, if not a little surprising.

And as he said in his press conference and as I alluded to in earlier posts. Fans saw him hawking himself around other clubs and I myself believed this at the time.

The reality is that Boyle asked him to raise money from player sales (if I recall Quinn and Clarkson ?} and also to look at moving on himself as his contract was becoming a challenge. He did that and I am not saying he should be lauded for it unlike he maybe did in his interview today, but nor should he be vilified for actually trying to (in the end) help the club out.

That's the reality - it may upset some panic merchants on here to know that.

Whether he is successful I do not know and it could be a disaster. Me - I am happy to see if he can do the job and create some stability.

• Like 1

From Mcghee's comments it would appear that he was approached by us rather than him applying for the job. That doesn't say much for the quality of the 80applicants we had despite what the board has said.

If our rigorous selection comes up with him as the best candidate we really are in serious bother. How does his appointment sit with the club's commitment to developing a credible and productive youth system when he has no track record for this particularly given how important that is to the club's future?

The amount of 'recycling' of former personnel is reaching ridiculous proportions. Are we really saying that that is the best sustainable way forward for us?

If our rigorous selection comes up with him as the best candidate we really are in serious bother.

This. Since his spell with us he's been sacked by Aberdeen, sacked by Bristol Rovers and been part of a management team that's failed to meet their objective.

But aye, welcome back.

The amount of 'recycling' of former personnel is reaching ridiculous proportions. Are we really saying that that is the best sustainable way forward for us?

Probably not, however, in our current situation we couldn’t take a risk of employing an untried ‘rookie’ SPL manager. We needed someone who is respected in the Scottish game and knows what it takes to be competitive in the Premier League. Like it or not, Mark McGhee fits that remit. He would not have been my first choice, however, he has been appointed by the board and we should back him.

The reaction to his appointment has once and for all proved we have some utter bellend fans!

Was he my first choice...no. Am I outraged at his appointment to the point where I won't support my team...no.

Folk forget the good work he done with us and the quality of attacking football we were playing. He is most definitely entitled to a bit of time before the utter nonsense starts getting hurled his way.

Fact is, we could go on to have a decent season and folk will still want him out. Utter bangers!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3271427/Mark-McGhee-threatens-sell-Motherwell-players-bad-attitudes-rejoining-club-manager-two-year-deal.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Look past the sensational Mail style headline and a couple of interesting quotes. Certainly does not seem like he will tolerate a bad attitude from any player.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3271427/Mark-McGhee-threatens-sell-Motherwell-players-bad-attitudes-rejoining-club-manager-two-year-deal.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Look past the sensational Mail style headline and a couple of interesting quotes. Certainly does not seem like he will tolerate a bad attitude from any player.

The part about the training & stopwatch and whistle was what caught my attention. I'd mentioned before that one of the key things for whoever got the job was that they needed to be able to actually coach.

The reality is that Boyle asked him to raise money from player sales (if I recall Quinn and Clarkson ?} and also to look at moving on himself as his contract was becoming a challenge. He did that and I am not saying he should be lauded for it unlike he maybe did in his interview today, but nor should he be vilified for actually trying to (in the end) help the club out.

That's the reality - it may upset some panic merchants on here to know that.

For better or for worse thats the truth of the matter.

Absolutely no problem with McGhee returning. If he can get the team performing even half as well as his first season in charge, I'll be happy. No pre-season in Austria this time though, which may mean it will take a while to see an effect, but I'm certainly not going to moan about big Muttley coming back. He may have left under a cloud, but people say there's no room for sentiment in football...what not apply that to the bad, as well as the good?

Clean slate for me, let's give him a chance to turn it round. Lasley, Hammell, and Clarkson were key parts of his team, let's see what he can do with this current crop before judging him.

• Like 1

So it's McGhee then.

I think his appointment brings opportunities and concerns in a broadly equal measure.

The return doesn't bother me unduly. It wasn't particularly nice to have him throw his hat in the ring for other jobs whilst at the club before but I suppose at least what he was doing was in the open. You contrast that for example to the supposed association with an Aussie club Terry Butcher went to the other side of the world to set up. A few months later Motherwell need a new manager as Terry joins an Australian club. Weird coincidence or what! Eh? So he's far from alone as a player or manager in actively consideration a change of scene.

I'm fairly sure his abilities as a coach will enable him to draw more from the current group of players than what we had witnessed under Baraclough which is no doubt a positive thing.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a managerial "aura" about him. I can see that too. With McGhee there appears an unshakable self-belief and confidence in his abilities bordering on an arrogance. I think it was in part those qualities that enabled him to come in before and revitalise a number of our squad and get them playing in a formation and style that McGhee said he had aspired to throughout his managerial career.

Yet it's those same qualities I think can contribute to a potential downfall with him. It is difficult to shake the feeling that no matter who he manages he will always have a burning desire inside to prove he should be managing a better grade of players still at a higher placed club.

I have my concerns that if he can mend, stabilise and improve us he won't again lose interest when that rebuilding job has peaked (or magnanimously decide to walk out and do us a financial favour......ahem!) or if a job he feels is more worthy of his managerial abilities becomes available and tests his resolve once more.

Open to his appointment but cautious and wary at the same is how I'd put my immediate reaction to his return.

• Like 1

Put simply, worst comes to worst for some and he will have us playing decent and in top 3/4/5/6 and another club takes him. Beats the arse off the stress, strain and outright miserable state of affairs of last seasons play off crescendo.

And if we remain as shite as we are then no one will come looking at him and no one needs to worry about that aspect. The only thing to worry about will be relegation and all the catastrophic problems that brings.

• Like 1

Not a problem with Mark coming back. It was sh1te he left us for so called bigger clubs last time round.

But let's see what he can do this time, he a proper footi man, a coach and has loads of experience, and was a decent player as well, which always goes down well with players.

I think this is how most level headed Well fans will view his appointment, however, he has a lot to do to change the opinions of the doubters and the haters.

As far as I'm concerned he starts as any new man would with a clean slate. In our current situation results are more important than performances. That said, I'd like to see us play open expansive football but that might not be possible - many of Tommy MacLean's teams never achieved that. If Mark McGhee does well he'll win over some of the doubters and haters but by no means all. That simply won't happen.

Nae magic powder?

#mcgheeout

No it's not. Simple as that.

Other than Mcghee saying it what evidence is there? How much was he getting paid that it was going to cause us an issue in June 2009?

The club will tell you we're skint as a way to get the fans onside with anything. I sat a meeting where two directors told fans over and over a 12 team league with a play off a relegation spot was impossible due to the financial side, 12 months later it was agreed. I've been told that Boyle's shares could not be sold for less than £1.5m then they were sold for £1. We were told we were on the verge of admin then we signed 18 players this year.

Mark McGhee can't help but talk pish and our board are good at finding versions of the truth that suit them.

• Like 1