Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

OK, so just listened to the pre-match press conference. Apparently he spoke to Skippy in advance of his signing on the phone to give advice as to helping him to move (6 minutes in approx). Not that it's a big deal but I don't see any reason or connection there?

However one other thing I did like, he didn't apologise for Celtic and limit our chances as McCall so often did against the OF, he was relatively tenacious about wanting to contain them but go for the win too.

OK, so just listened to the pre-match press conference. Apparently he spoke to Skippy in advance of his signing on the phone to give advice as to helping him to move (6 minutes in approx). Not that it's a big deal but I don't see any reason or connection there?

It ties in with something he said in that Scotland presser a couple of weeks ago, I had just assumed that the "people who have associations" would have been Craigan or Leitch, he says "a lot of people" so he may well have talked to them as well;

"I've been complimented that a lot of people around me and a lot of people who have associations there have suggested that it would be a good thing for me and a good thing for them.

"The people there know me and if someone was interested in talking to me I'm sure they would get in touch, but that hasn't been the case."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34449702

For what it's worth, it seems fair enough that if he was thinking about taking the job then he'd want to get a decent gauge of how things stood and a bit of perspective about the squad and set up.

Sorry upon rereading it maybe appears my post suggested McGhee spoke to skippy as to the feeling at Motherwell recently. McGhee actually suggested Skippy contacted him (I'm suspecting last Jan/Feb), hence my question where the association flourished.

He also seems to want to put across the narrative that we contacted him rather than he applied, despite him outlining in that article that he was actively seeking a day to day club management role. Maybe his ego needs that or perhaps it was actually the case.

Does anyone think if it was between us or Dundee Utd, he'd be draped in a C&A scarf.

Sorry upon rereading it maybe appears my post suggested McGhee spoke to skippy as to the feeling at Motherwell recently. McGhee actually suggested Skippy contacted him (I'm suspecting last Jan/Feb), hence my question where the association flourished.

They both lived in Glasgow at the same time and McDonald was around the club after Phil's death. McDonald played under his best mate at two clubs and possibly spoke to McGhee about Millwall.

I don't think it's a great mystery.

• Like 1

I wasn't too happy with this appointment, but upon reflection, I'd like to give him a chance.

We have a reputation of players coming back and being better the second time around, I wouldn't mind if we had a manager who did the same.

And if he's managing to tout himself for another job in the future then he'll have to be doing well

Some of the faux-outrage on here is laughable. I don't particularly like McGhee, and I don't know if he'll be the messiah - but I do know I'd rather have him at the reigns to get the most out if these perennial bottlers and under achievers rather than another yes man or someone whose a totally unknown quantity.

Mon the Well!

Mon the Mcghee!

Intae these slimey bassas!

• 2 weeks later...

As unhappy as I was at the appointment, I was open enough to admit that he is probably the right man for the job and exactly what we need to keep us up this season. Writing off the Celtic match given the short period of time he had with the players, there was a marked improvement at Pittodrie and we could consider ourselves unlucky not to take maximum points. If the improvement continues then the board will have justified their decision and naysayers will have to eat humble pie.

• Like 2