Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

Surely though managers are a bit like players - some turn out fine at other clubs, having been a disaster at others and obviously vice-versa (Brendan Rodgers as a prime example, brilliant at both Reading (?) and Swansea, looks to be floundering at Anfield). OK they're style of play might not be to everyone's liking, but what we need now is someone to steady the ship and kick ass, if stories on here are to be believed. With that in mind I wouldn't mind someone from the Scottish Football roundabout.

Yogi for me (though not keen on BooBoo as his assistant).

Your Hughes, McCall and their type, any manager who's just going to fawn over Sevco and Celtic can GTF as far as I'm concerned. As much as Baraclough didn't work out I'm pretty much certain that had we been going into the play-off vs them with McCall in charge then we'd be playing Championship football this season.

Maybe I'm being a bit negative but I'm surprised that names like Mixu Paatelinen and James Fowler are being mentioned. While the former did well at Kilmarnock his spell at Easter Road was far from impressive. The latter has been in management for 12 months only and his taken his side to 6th out of 10 ie mid table. Stephen Craigan is completely untested.

For me, when both McCall and Baraclough were appointed, I had no idea who I wanted as manager. Not all the names mentioned horrify me, but none leap out and say "Aye, he's the one I want". I don't follow the lower leagues closely enough to know if Fowler, Aitkem or Naysmith would do a good job or play the style of football we're needing right now. I don't think we're in a position where we're appealing enough that another SPL manager will want to leave their club to come to us. So we're looking at someone out of work just now or a lower league candidate.

The thing is, despite results so far this season, I think the raw materials are there for any manager coming in. Properly motivated and organised, I believe we have the players to be comfortably mid table. We have strikers that are scoring goals (maybe not enough thus far but the likes of Moult and Fletcher have a good goals per minutes ratio). Ainsworth has 20 goals and 20 assists in his first two seasons with us, he clearly has the ability to be a weapon at this level. The defence as a unit has been unreliable but individually there are qualities in each of them that suggest that there could be a solid defence there with the right organisation. Midfield is more of an issue, but looking at those players as individuals, are they any worse than those at Dundee, Partick Thistle, Hamilton or Kilmarnock? Not noticeably.

For me, we're looking for someone who is a motivator and organiser rather than someone with contacts who'll want to bring in his own players. Who that person is, I have no idea...

He's got his job at BT. It must pay a pretty penny given it was enough to bring him to the table to end his gardening leave.

Souness once pointed out that he was getting paid more as a pundit at Sky than Scotland were offering for the international manager's job so given the money that BT are chucking about these days I think it's fair to say Sally will be on a reasonable amount.

For me, we're looking for someone who is a motivator and organiser rather than someone with contacts who'll want to bring in his own players. Who that person is, I have no idea...

I'll go along with that. There are obviously big personalities in the dressing room and whilst it great to have one, two or more is usually disastrous. The new man will need to command the dressing room, although there are various ways of doing that.

Maybe I'm being a bit negative but I'm surprised that names like Mixu Paatelinen and James Fowler are being mentioned. While the former did well at Kilmarnock his spell at Easter Road was far from impressive. The latter has been in management for 12 months only and his taken his side to 6th out of 10 ie mid table. Stephen Craigan is completely untested.

Far from impressive at Hibs? Left them in the top 6. Hibs was/is a bit of a basket case of a club. My worry when I read last night about his Hibs days was the propensity to fire long balls up to Fletcher but that would be in stark contrast to the decent stuff his Killie side played.

Can't disagree with this. Listening back to Les' Sportsound interview last night I picked up on two things, one obviously was his mention that their strategy remains the same and the other was his observation about man management.

I think that rather than looking for a manager with 'contacts' etc the first thing we should be asking is whether the candidate can actually set up and coach a team. In hindsight with Baraclough's appointment it seems that we've tried to put the cart before the horse and tried to bring in someone based on a broader scope rather than making sure we addressed the primary and core function. Indeed I think Willie Miller maybe alluded to that as much when he said we had possibly been a bit naive in Baraclough's appointment.

Assuming by 'the strategy' Les means being more effective in the transfer market then when it comes down to it it's easier for players to look good and be sellable assets if they're playing well in an organised, well drilled team. In order to do that first and foremost we need someone in charge who can set up a team and is tactically adept. The rest should, hopefully, follow. Miller's point that it takes 10 years to develop a player from youth is similarly something that I think Mr Hutchison should almost certainly be taking on board.

Souness once pointed out that he was getting paid more as a pundit at Sky than Scotland were offering for the international manager's job so given the money that BT are chucking about these days I think it's fair to say Sally will be on a reasonable amount.

Andy Gray knocked back Everton for much the same reason.