Issues With Stewarding On Tuesday Night

David

I have no idea what started it all off on Tues night and yes some of the stewards who pull on a high viz jacket turn into arseholes but that's even more reason not to give them any excuse.

Or even more reason for the clubs to maybe get a handle on the companies they deal with? Why is it that we don't see such behaviour from our own stewards? Do opposing fans face the same kind of nonsense when they visit Fir Park?

So they plan on stopping me sit on my season ticket seat?

I seriously doubt they'll be trying to stop you doing anything. More like asking you to join them in highlighting an issue. If you really want to ignore them and just go about your usual match routine though I doubt you'll face much objection.

In many (if not most) of these incidents, a portion of the blame has to lie with the fans (or fan) who brought themselves to the attention of the police/stewards in the first place.

However what went on at Cappielow, or certainly the response to it was unbelievably disproportionate!

I posted this on another site, an interesting comparison I thought....

Been at "events" the past 2 nights and the contrast in the way the crowd was treated was frightening.

Tuesday night: Morton v Motherwell, Cappielow

Visible police presence from approach to venue, patted down on way into ground, watched by police for 2 hours.

Crowd fairly tame for a cup tie, small section of 20-30 "ultras" singing and clapping, otherwise usual collection of families, small groups of mainly blokes. No alcohol available in the ground and no sign that anyone (although admittedly didn't see everyone) is overly intoxicated, in fact majority seem sober.

One fan is attempted to be arrested/ejected for going over the wall (fair enough) when goal is scored, security staff wade in with the subtlety of a sledge hammer, get folks backs up and a small scuffle breaks out involving several police and security staff and less than a handful of teenage boys.

Event is stopped while every police officer in inverclyde is called to the ground for a minor scuffle that's already been dealt with.

Wednesday night, Kevin Bridges, SSE Hydro

No visible police presence in or around the venue, security staff checking some bags for booze.

Crowd a real mix, but a high proportion of the ned element of Glasgow and a lot of folk who have had a good drink and are heading straight to the bar to buy more.

Small scuffle breaks out during the show (coincidentally about 10 rows in front of me just like the evening before) 3 members of the event security diffuse the situation, everyone is calmed down and put back in their seat. (No need for ~100 police to rush in, no kettling of the crowd in that section, event carries on, without even a glance across)

A guy behind us who has been up and down the stairs several times, every time looking more like he is going to fall down the stairs as he sways from side to side goes for more drink (which he clearly had no problem getting served, i presume ordered by pointing, as I doubt he could speak!) anyway, he is actually helped (virtually carried) back to his seat by the security staff then handed his 2 pints for the last 20 minutes of the show.

:shocked:

Really makes me wonder why we accept being treated like animals, criminals and a massive inconvenience when we go to watch football, particularly away games.

• Like 1

I was at the game and to be honest haven't a clue what kicked it all off despite being about 40 feet away.

But as far as I was aware any steward employed at a football match has absolutely no right to eject or forceably remove anybody from the crowd. They can ask you to go with them but if you refuse they can do F**k all about it. They can ask the police to remove people from the crowd but if they attempt to do it themselves they are open to a charge of assault. ? Is this not the case. If this is correct the next time anything like this happens take pictures of the culprit on your phones which can then back up your statement.

Some people on here are blaming the young guys for bringing it on themselves but I don't agree. Anytime I have been near them at away games they are only trying to create a bit of atmosphere. The problem as I see it only really applies to one company who supply stewards at games i.e. the ones employed by St Mirren and now as we know Morton. The young guys don't seem to have a problem at Hearts/Partick/Kilmarnock etc. Maybe we should be asking this company to be looked at by the powers that be rather than trying to put the blame on young guys enjoying themselves at a football match.

Anyway Mon the Crags. Mon the Dossers

• Like 3

I was at the game and to be honest haven't a clue what kicked it all off despite being about 40 feet away.

But as far as I was aware any steward employed at a football match has absolutely no right to eject or forceably remove anybody from the crowd. They can ask you to go with them but if you refuse they can do F**k all about it. They can ask the police to remove people from the crowd but if they attempt to do it themselves they are open to a charge of assault. ? Is this not the case.

I always thought this was the case

Was at game with my 9 year old son. We moved section not to get away from noisy but enthusiastic drumming but from "adult" fans who progressed from a distinct lack of imagination in their adjectives to even more offensive nouns.

I didn't see what started things off but the police response looked totally disproportionate to whatever was going on.

Even if the steward was drunk on power there were several testosterone hyped younger police officers who should be better trained and supervised. I take previous poster's point comparing football to gig and think that yes this is the best match to "positively" protest the way football fans are perceived and treated.

Couldn't really see what happened from where I was but the steward getting led away was holding his face.

It's not really surprising the bois get special attention due to the smoke bombs etc and the fact they keep singing my old man. As if singing a daft song about Stanley knifes and spanners won't draw attention.

I like what they do in the most part

Can we just pin this thread...we seem to visit this argument a few times a season!

Along with pinning....happy clapper/critic conversations, the new manager 'out' thread with 'imposter' comments, ex old firm players being baddies and root of all evil chat, Sutton would have finished that bantz

Cheers!

• Like 2

Couldn't really see what happened from where I was but the steward getting led away was holding his face.

It's not really surprising the bois get special attention due to the smoke bombs etc and the fact they keep singing my old man. As if singing a daft song about Stanley knifes and spanners won't draw attention.

I like what they do in the most part

Probably never spent all their money on muff diving gear as well, the little scamps.

There seems to be two sets of fans on here:

1. The 'Well Bois are fantastic and everyone is out to get them. Boo hoo.

2. The 'Well Bois are wee dicks and that's why they keep getting into trouble.

In reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I have seen (and been direct victim of) over-zealous stewarding/policing many, many times. It definitely goes on, more obvious in some stadiums than others, but it's not always without cause.

There are an element of the young lads who push the boundaries everytime and the one obvious failing of the 'Well Bois is that there is no obvious self-policing like you see at Scotland games, which is the best example of boisterous fans creating at atmosphere without overstepping the mark that I can think of.

Having meetings with the club is all well and good but it seems to me that any line of compromise that is drawn in the sand will soon be overstepped. I'm not trying to be too harsh on the Bois- I love what they do- but we must remember that a good number of them are little more than children and if kids are encouraged, they'll eventually go too far, and it's happened countless times with the Bois already.

I would agree that some form of petition/protest should be carried out to reduce the presence of yellow jaikits at football matches, and the stewarding companies should be managed more closely by clubs to ensure they behave appropriately but Motherwell fans are not in a strong position to be the force behind any movement at the moment due to our own very recent history of bad behaviour so my suggestion would be to get our own house in order first.

The sight of messrs Marshall and Burrows parading round the touch line on Tuesday night was almost as embarrassing as our performance on the park and until the 'Well fans accept some level of responsibility for the ongoing situation then progress will never be made.

• Like 4

Imagine being young and over boisterous.... going to the match on a Saturday and having a bevvy with your mates who you haven't seen all week because you have been at your work grafting to try and get yourself a few quid as you want to get the latest clobber or gutties......acting the goat, playing up and even trying to show off a wee bit to look like one of the boys.....pushing back when you get harassed and chastised by those in authority who think you are nothing better than a piece of shit on their shoe.....getting criticism from your elder peers who have no time for your childish and immature behaviour as you don't fit into their stereotype of how young people should be.

SOUND FAMILIAR TO ANY OLDER GUYS ON HERE????

Give the lads your support and remember that everyone was young at one point.

Can't make the game on Saturday but good luck with the Demo BOIS!!!

• Like 5

The young bois have actually made a lot of the games that have been pish, reasonably enjoyable. It looks like they are being forced out though and I think a couple more games where they are treated like shit, they will give up.

So it looks like we can go back to the days of silence for 90 mins apart from the few seconds after we score a goal and we get the odd few hundred singing "well well, super well".

• Like 2

The Rangers game was the best time ever to take the moral high ground and look down on the Glasgow scum. But immaturity and a rush of blood had them on the pitch goading yes they were goading the Rangers fans. Despite the club pleading with them to stay off the pitch "argue all you want just because it happened in the past does not mean you have the right to keep doing it" so on troop the horses and our cards well marked. Damage at ndp and repeated flares and smoke bombe we aren't just sticking our head above the parapet, it's more like jumping up and down saying fuk you.

So we want the club to understand but we won't stay off the pitch when asked ?

We want the polis to leave us alone but we goad away fans.

We want not to be patted down and stewards to leave us alone. But we let off flares and smoke bombs.

We want the stewards to stop watching us and there not to be so many. But we can't even restrain ourselves from running on the pitch.

• Like 11

The Rangers game was the best time ever to take the moral high ground and look down on the Glasgow scum. But immaturity and a rush of blood had them on the pitch goading yes they were goading the Rangers fans. Despite the club pleading with them to stay off the pitch "argue all you want just because it happened in the past does not mean you have the right to keep doing it" so on troop the horses and our cards well marked. Damage at ndp and repeated flares and smoke bombe we aren't just sticking our head above the parapet, it's more like jumping up and down saying fuk you.

We want not to be patted down and stewards to leave us alone. But we let off flares and smoke bombs.

We want the stewards to stop watching us and there not to be so many. But we can't even restrain ourselves from running on the pitch.

• Like 1

Flares comment didn't specify a night but that it happens and ok il say hamilton away for example.

Rangers pich invasion didn't involve us govener.

But I'm a sad boring cnt please add in old cnt to make me feel more at home,

God I long for the days of the real casuals again instead of weans feet in there being picked on by the big boys.

Paper casuals.

I'm a big supporter of the Bois and all they have done for our support but I find myself agreeing with a lot of what Gilmor has said.

If people think the stewards and police were reacting solely to what happened at the game on Tuesday night then they are being very naive. Our card has been well and truly marked for our previous indiscretions and we now have a reputation a certain element of our support will have a hard time shaking off.

The bois will always tread and fine line and I understand that's part of the appeal but I hope the senior members of the group can reign in some of the antics that are simply a red rag to a bull when it comes to stewarding and policing. The fact that the opening statement in this thread doesn't even acknowledge we have had genuine problems in the past suggests to me that the group are somewhat in denial.