Issues With Stewarding On Tuesday Night

David

john_M_F_C, on 19 Oct 2015 - 5:51 PM, said:

Weird that everybody has an insight into the Green Brigade's motivation, yet seem to find them utterly repulsive, what's going on there? bit odd.

Have you seen some of the banners they put up at the smelly ground ? Maybe that's why some find them "utterly repulsive "

Have you seen some of the banners they put up at the smelly ground ? Maybe that's why some find them "utterly repulsive "

You're wasting your time with this guy.He's right and we are all out of step.

It's quite telling though,that 3 days later,he is the lone voice defending what went on.

The point I was making is, that with so few people agreeing with anything they stand for, they all seem to have a fair idea of what they're all about, seems to be a lot of empathy with people that seem to be ideologically opposed to a lot of posters on here.

You're wasting your time with this guy.He's right and we are all out of step.

It's quite telling though,that 3 days later,he is the lone voice defending what went on.

Most of the folk in the section can't be bothered with this site, rightly so, full of bed wetters.

The point I was making is, that with so few people agreeing with anything they stand for, they all seem to have a fair idea of what they're all about, seems to be a lot of empathy with people that seem to be ideologically opposed to a lot of posters on here.

Most of the folk in the section can't be bothered with this site, rightly so, full of bed wetters.

The Green Brigade call other Celtic fans who don't share their views 'corporates' on here its bed wetters.

I don't think there's any empathy for the Green Brigade at all here.

I know what David Cameron is all about, doesn't mean i've got any empathy with the prick.

• Like 1

Weird that everybody has an insight into the Green Brigade's motivation, yet seem to find them utterly repulsive, what's going on there? bit odd.

By all means protest against the legislation if you feel justified. But let's not pretend that The Green Brigade are driven by the same good intended motives as The Bois. The Green Brigade wish to be allowed to legally display their vile, sectarian banners and to openly celebrate murderers and terrorists. By standing beside them the Bois will be looked upon by many as supporting their cause.

And in direct answer to your comment, It's not odd at all. it's just that most folk who know anything about football in Scotland know exactly what the Green Brigade are all about.

• Like 3

I'm pretty disappointed with that remark actually.

I've no issue with you at all arguing the point with individual posters over differences of tactics, opinions and whatever else but given that the section have been happy enough to take advantage of this site on a few occasions in the past for fundraisers and publicity it's pretty poor form to be so dismissive of people who have put their hands in their pockets to back you.

Maybe you'll find the next time you are looking for people to chip in for something some of them "can't be bothered" too.

• Like 3

I completely agree with you Andy.

I think most involved with the group would be the first to tell you they are extremely grateful of any donation we have received in the past from 'Well fans from this forum and fans who have donated in person. What's important to note is that we often put our hands in our own pockets for displays and when we are in need of funding we usually try to specify exactly what it's for.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread I can completely understand why people don't like the idea of "standing side by side with the Green Brigade". The reasons, like mentioned in here by many forum users, are obvious as to why people don't like the Green Brigade. What's being overlooked here is this isn't just the Well Bois standing side by side with them, in fact it's far from it. Rangers have openly spoke out about the act, when we've called for unity we've seen St Johnstone, Hibernian and others display banners, I'm sure this won't be the last "joint action" between sets of supporters over this.

I'm massively against this bill as I believe it's dangerous. The conviction rate highlights how much of a joke it is. More than half of the cases fail and those that deliver a guilty verdict are often found guilty straight away as young supporters are encouraged by police and lawyers to plead guilty just to get it over with. Most fans that do challenge it often see the charges overturned but it's the legal fees, time off work, names printed in papers that can be emotionally draining, time consuming and often career threatening. I'm not daft, I know some people act like clowns at the football but many don't. Not every supporter wants to sit in silence and watch the game. Some like to push the boundaries and openly display their passion, especially teenagers or young adults. Aside from the bill I think there needs to be a complete overhaul in the way that football matches in this country are policed. There's a real inconsistency which varies from stadium to stadium. Heavy handed policing and stewarding alongside rising ticket prices are driving people away from football, clubs should be doing more to cater for fans.

• Like 1

Dee, Most fans of all teams...certainly those who attend games on a regular basis...would agree wholeheartedly with much of what you say. The heavy hands stuff is spot on and the actions of some stewards and some police at some clubs are excessive. So by all means highlight that fact. However, the Legislation itself was not brought in to stop you guys banging your drum or supporting your team through thick and thin. The legislation was brought into being to specifically address the vile behaviour of groups such as The Green Brigade.

You are protesting against the same legislation but with a different end picture in mind. By all means join forces with right thinking fans of other clubs, but please do not associate The Bois name and that of Motherwell Football Club with such a poisonous group.

Dee, Most fans of all teams...certainly those who attend games on a regular basis...would agree wholeheartedly with much of what you say. The heavy hands stuff is spot on and the actions of some stewards and some police at some clubs are excessive. So by all means highlight that fact. However, the Legislation itself was not brought in to stop you guys banging your drum or supporting your team through thick and thin. The legislation was brought into being to specifically address the vile behaviour of groups such as The Green Brigade.

You are protesting against the same legislation but with a different end picture in mind. By all means join forces with right thinking fans of other clubs, but please do not associate The Bois name and that of Motherwell Football Club with such a poisonous group.

The legislation wasn't brought in to stop us from banging a drum, you are spot on there. It was rushed through parliament following the "Shame Game" when Lennon and McCoist were head to head on the touchline to try and look like the Scottish Gov were actively tackling sectarianism. The reality is the lack of thought behind the bill has resulting in the legislation being so vague that you can be criminalised for almost anything at all as long as someone finds it "offensive".

It's clear not everyone will agree and thats the joys of democracy but as a "group" we would most likely side with fans of all clubs; Rangers, Celtic, Accies, Airdrie etc. if it meant highlighting the draconian measures that a certain demographic of society have to face when travelling to watch their team. It's not always going to be popular and it may result in some being disappointed with our actions. That's not easy for us, we want our fans on side but it's an issue we are determined to bring to light. Was it the correct way to go about it? Debatable. What I can say though is when there was the silent protest at Fir Park a few weeks ago the main stream media completely ignored it. Saturday's incident has been covered by The Evening Times, The Herald and STV. It might not make any jot of a difference to those currently reviewing the act but it has certainly got people talking about it again.

Had not seen any of the newspaper reports regarding the protest so just had a quick search online.

Sadly, the impression given in the three examples I read is that the Celtic fans (supported by supporters of Motherwell) were demonstrating against a Bill trying to eradicate Bigotry from football. I know that is not an accurate description and doesn't tell the true picture, but many people reading the articles will get entirely the wrong impression of The Bois' intention. I did not see any mention of over enthusiastic stewarding/policing or criminalisation of people for very minor offences. Nor did I see any explanatory comments from a Bois' representative. You are not going to get a fair hearing from the Media following such a protest and in fact I fear your justifiable cause may have been damaged.

As for everyone talking about it. On this Forum I would suggest most people are talking about your bed partners rather than the particular complaints you wanted to highlight. In fact, most posters are already aware of the way fans are treated and witness it week on week. Also, you may well have given the Authorities more ammunition to use against you.

Genuine causes for complaint. But I fear the demonstration did more harm than good on several fronts. I also get the horrible feeling you guys have been "used".

• Like 3

I wonder if there would have been the same over reaction if it was sevco fans.

The team the fans support is completely irrelevant. It's nothing to do with whatever club they follow.

It is 100% about a cross section of the population who are notoriously under-policed, under-stewarded, who time and time again breach legislation, laws, decency and morality, flaunting it at every opportunity with untouchable arrogance..... standing protesting against heavy hands. It's the utter hypocrisy of the whole thing.

Say you are a guy who was being forced to do extra hours at work, and was being disciplined if you were 5 mins late or if your lunch break over-ran by 2 minutes. Another boy who works there continually swans in whenever he likes, goes home early, and takes as long as he wants for lunch, but gets offered a pay rise.

One day he comes to you and says "me and you should get together to protest about how badly we are treated here, I'm fed up with it". If your answer was anything other than "Piss off!! You wouldn't know badly treated if it smacked you in the face! You should be sacked for the shit you get away with while I'm bursting my arse!", then I doubt many would believe you. And that's the message that should be sent to the Green Brigade, and why this joint protest has rubbed everyone up the wrong way.

Funny thing is, if that situation happened in a workplace, no-one would make allowances for the guy who was genuinely being mistreated, the opinions would be drawn to the guy that takes advantage and both would be tarred with that brush. Even though the good guy's grievance was completely justified and genuine, they would forever be known as "those two guys who take the piss doing nothing and then moan about it", purely because of the other guys reputation. As I said earlier, you are judged by the company you keep. Choose carefully.

• Like 1

Without wanting to defend the green brigade, I'm very glad we don't get the treatment they get.

The level of policing they get is mental, all for singing songs that some folk don't agree with.

If that's what it boils down to for you, then I reckon a lot of peoples' discussions with you will probably end here, and along with it any public, vocal or financial support they may have offered previously, or in the future. Which is a shame.

However mental it may seem to you, if the level of policing the Green Brigade get was enough then their wouldn't be a Green Brigade.

• Like 3

Without wanting to defend the green brigade, I'm very glad we don't get the treatment they get.

The level of policing they get is mental, all for singing songs that some folk don't agree with.

The GB get that level of policing because of the damage in the South Stand, at Tynecastle, Pittodrie etc. not because of the fact they break a football behaviour law. Not to mention their "song book" consists of song that would break other, more serious laws if Police Scotland, Celtic FC and the other clubs had more of a backbone

The fact you can't see that the GB will use this as a "see, nothing wrong with our Pro-IRA song book/signage. The fact they're using you for their own end and you can't see it is tragic.

• Like 1