Issues With Stewarding On Tuesday Night

David

Same reason we often close the bottom tier at Fir Park, I guess. The fact that your first thought is what it looks like on TV shows how pathetic the fan situation is. I don't attend games at the moment, for work reasons but my concern is still that we have less fans than some non-league sides in England- not the fact that the tv pictures compliment this fact. Probably paying the same wages as well.

I was at the game,my first thought was that I'd rather sit down the front than up the back.

I watched the highlights this morning and thought the empty stand looked terrible.

I was at the game,my first thought was that I'd rather sit down the front than up the back.

I watched the highlights this morning and thought the empty stand looked terrible.

Was not a dig at you, was a complaint about the general attitude to football nowadays. How the support is perceived takes priority over the support itself.

Same reason we often close the bottom tier at Fir Park, I guess. The fact that your first thought is what it looks like on TV shows how pathetic the fan situation is. I don't attend games at the moment, for work reasons but my concern is still that we have less fans than some non-league sides in England- not the fact that the tv pictures compliment this fact. Probably paying the same wages as well.

That's undoubtedly, true. However, a lot of those non-league sides are based in areas with much larger populations. The % of people from Motherwell who go to games is pretty much in line with other towns and cities.

My local non-league team used to be Forest Green Rovers. Their cheapest season ticket this year is for the terracing - 280 quid for adults, 240 quid if you bought it before June 30th. It's a nice wee ground - holds about 5,000 - and a good day out, but definitely not cheap.

The following teams over the last month have had higher attendances than yesterday's at Killie.

National League (Conference)

Tranmere Rovers

Wrexham

Grimbsy Town

Chester FC

National League North

Stockport County

A lot of the other teams have had between 2000 and 2500. That is balanced by pothers only having 600.

The following teams over the last month have had higher attendances than yesterday's at Killie.

National League (Conference)

Tranmere Rovers 10 x population Motherwell

Wrexham population 2 x Motherwell

Grimbsy Town population 3 x Motherwell

Chester FC population4 x motherwell

National League North

Stockport County 4 x population Motherwell.

A lot of the other teams have had between 2000 and 2500. That is balanced by pothers only having 600.

All figures based on Wikipedia, for reference, Kilmarnock has a bigger population. Than Motherwell. 46,000 to 30,000

I think we suffer in Scotland from trying to compare our game to our neighbours in England.

Absolutely. Ok I would debate Motherwell's population as I'd draw a larger catchment to include the likes of Craigneuk, Wishaw, Netherton etc, but the point remains the same. On a population basis, settlements like York and Gillingham should be capable of supporting teams big enough to be able to rival and perhaps exceed teams like Dundee United and Aberdeen.

I know its easy to be brainwashed by wall to wall coverage of the English game but we really need to move on from that. Scotland is what it is.