Issues With Stewarding On Tuesday Night

David

You do know there is a difference in the use of flares & smoke pellets? Bore off with the rest who are tapping into something you prejudice without having a grasp on what has actually happened.

Are they not both banned? Regardless, Gilmour mentioned previous fixtures at Accies. The last one i was at (not last week) had a real flare.

• Like 1

Complaints about stewarding or policing at football grounds are totally pointless and will change nothing. A supporter v the Police / Steward will always come second,even if totally innocent. Like rip off prices,being herded like cattle and freezing yer arse of in the winter , it's all part of the "matchday experience" in Scotland. You pay your money , you take your chances.

• Like 2

Despite being relatively close to where whatever happened occurred on Tuesday it was near impossible to see what actually occurred.

Nobody is saying the lad who ran on the park was anything but daft, but the reaction from the police and stewards was extreme to say the very least - I don't understand what the need was for the stewards to conduct a search amongst the crowd - surely it could have been dealt with after the game and as a result cause minimal disruption?

The club owe a lot to the Bois for enhancing the atmosphere both home and away. In many ways they've been a victim of their own success, as they've grown a few hangers on have appeared. Urging the need to self-police is all well and good but I'd assume that is far easier said than done, if a wee arsehole wants to act in such a manner he more than likely will.

It's a tough yin because the statement is open to scrutiny and for behaviour previously to be pointed out, but certainly the 'Heavy Hands Empty Stands' campaign is one that I support, but I do think there might need to be some come and go for it to be a success.

Same argument here every time and people getting their back up on both sides. Its fucking boring.

Frazzie hit the nail on the head a few posts ago.

If we take 'the bois' out of it and lets just look at it as everyone as 1 group of fans.

If you think the stewarding is fine, you are naive, as often it is not and is heavy handed.

But, if you think some, not all, but some of the behaviour that is clearly visible is fine...and the fans are without fault...then you are naive also.

Movement on both sides required.

• Like 2

I'm with the Bois on this, but as is being highlighted in this thread, there is a point blank refusal to accept any responsibility for the treatment they receive.

Yes, a lot of the stewarding and policing is way over the top.

Yes, the way we as away fans are treated (more generally) is a disgrace and we shouldn't just accept it.

Yes, they really add to the match day experience for me and many others.

BUT sometimes the Bois (or folk who attach themselves to the main group, I'm not sure on the politics?) need to acknowledge they are not entirely blameless and do little to help themselves.

Flares, smoke pellets, running on the pitch etc. will attract unwanted* attention.

*i say unwanted, but let's not kid on some of the guys don't love it!

Flares comment didn't specify a night but that it happens and ok il say hamilton away for example.

Rangers pich invasion didn't involve us govener.

But I'm a sad boring cnt please add in old cnt to make me feel more at home,

God I long for the days of the real casuals again instead of weans feet in there being picked on by the big boys.

Paper casuals.

I think the bolded statement there is perhaps more telling than anything else. A lot of dislike for the young lads today is a result of certain people getting on a bit and not liking that fact, resulting in the old "ach, it was better back in my day" pish.

They simply lash out at the kids of today, forgetting that they were once that age.

Also, how the fuck can you condemn the lads of today for using flares and running on the pitch, yet yearn for the golden era of casuals who did a lot worse than anything todays boys are capable of?

• Like 1

I think the bolded statement there is perhaps more telling than anything else. A lot of dislike for the young lads today is a result of certain people getting on a bit and not liking that fact, resulting in the old "ach, it was better back in my day" pish.

They simply lash out at the kids of today, forgetting that they were once that age.

Also, how the fuck can you condemn the lads of today for using flares and running on the pitch, yet yearn for the golden era of casuals who did a lot worse than anything todays boys are capable of?

Ah the misty eyed nostalgia of running terracing battles every week in the late 70s
  • Like 1

There seems to be two sets of fans on here:

1. The 'Well Bois are fantastic and everyone is out to get them. Boo hoo.

2. The 'Well Bois are wee dicks and that's why they keep getting into trouble.

In reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I have seen (and been direct victim of) over-zealous stewarding/policing many, many times. It definitely goes on, more obvious in some stadiums than others, but it's not always without cause.

There are an element of the young lads who push the boundaries everytime and the one obvious failing of the 'Well Bois is that there is no obvious self-policing like you see at Scotland games

This is pretty much the case but my view on it is who do you expect to act more responsibly? Some daft laddies or the police? Or some daft laddies or stewards?

I went to games in the 80's and 90's and there is nothing even approaching that level of hooliganism today. It's not even close.

I'd rather fans didn't run on the pitch or throw flares and don't condone either but the bigger picture is that I'm much more worried about the scandalous press sensationalism or the actions of police than I am about the actions of our supporters.

Does anyone genuinely feel unsafe at a football these days?

This is pretty much the case but my view on it is who do you expect to act more responsibly? Some daft laddies or the police? Or some daft laddies or stewards?

I went to games in the 80's and 90's and there is nothing even approaching that level of hooliganism today. It's not even close.

I'd rather fans didn't run on the pitch or throw flares and don't condone either but the bigger picture is that I'm much more worried about the scandalous press sensationalism or the actions of police than I am about the actions of our supporters.

Does anyone genuinely feel unsafe at a football these days?

Agree with that, particularly the last bit.

The last time I felt unsafe in a ground was a game at Easter road around 1989.

The fact the 10 year old ball boys behind the goal on Tuesday were completely unphased by what was going on says a lot about how minor it was.

The stewarding companies and the Police have a financial interest in their being bother at the football so it's not a surprise they escalate things.

• Like 2

The last time I felt unsafe in a ground was a game at Easter road around 1989

Most poisonous atmosphere i can remember recently was "skippy sunday" but i think if Rangers had been allowed a full support at Fir Park in the play-off , all hell would have kicked off. Didn't feel unsafe as such but the threat of real violence seemed very possible at both games

Point well made by the Bois today.

Love them or loath them you cannot argue that the atmosphere today was much better in the second half than first.

Heres hoping they can find a way to communicate positively with the powers that be in order to maintain the positive aspects that they bring to the matchday experience.....

Point well made by the Bois today.

Love them or loath them you cannot argue that the atmosphere today was much better in the second half than first.

Heres hoping they can find a way to communicate positively with the powers that be in order to maintain the positive aspects that they bring to the matchday experience.....

I didn't realise there had been a protest till today, when I read this thread.It was only then I thought , they had been quiet yesterday.I sat near them last Saturday , I find the constant banging of the drum a pain...but I am probably in the minority there.A lot of them were trying to noise up the stewards and cops last week and they, I am sure , just find them immature wee boys

Don't know when we got to the stage when we had to create an artificial atmosphere.....good football , bad refs , etc etc can create an atmosphere all of their own.By all means get behind the team and sing etc , but we don't need any more bad publicity and/or fines

Mind you I moved to nearer the Hamiton guys in the second half , their songs made the well Bois look like Poets

I didn't realise there had been a protest till today, when I read this thread.It was only then I thought , they had been quiet yesterday.I sat near them last Saturday , I find the constant banging of the drum a pain...but I am probably in the minority there.A lot of them were trying to noise up the stewards and cops last week and they, I am sure , just find them immature wee boys

Don't know when we got to the stage when we had to create an artificial atmosphere.....good football , bad refs , etc etc can create an atmosphere all of their own.By all means get behind the team and sing etc , but we don't need any more bad publicity and/or fines

Mind you I moved to nearer the Hamiton guys in the second half , their songs made the well Bois look like Poets

"Don't know when we got to the stage when we had to create an artificial atmosphere"?

Have you been going to matches smacked up out your tits? The place is like the waiting room at the clap clinic when those young scamps aren't singing and banging their drum

• Like 4