Fir Park Pitch

decorator

Pitch looks great.

Is that Jim Gannon in picture 4? A team bus in the background and it would feel like deja vu!

Good pictures. Cheers.

Going by that article it sounds like Jim Gannon too! Had there been any attempt to blame Hugh Dallas and i would say that it definitely was Jim Gannon.

*Bump*

Sowing the seeds of success: A Motherwell groundsman's vision for Scottish football

5130612.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

Motherwell FC groundsman Paul Matthew at Fir Park, Motherwell..... (Photo by Kirsty Anderson/Herald & Times) - KA.

1 day ago / Scott Mullen, Group Sports Writer

The main word that kept coming up for Matthew was that of respect. It is something he believes is badly lacking as groundsmen up and down the country are left exposed as they attempt to protect their beloved pitches. From slack protection rules to dismissive and abusive opposition staff, Matthew insists improvement must be needed.

“It’s about respect. That’s the first thing. Why are the rules not governed and enforced by the SPFL delegate? He or she should be down pitch side. There is a certain amount of teams in our league that seem hell-bent on dismissing you as an individual for what you are trying to do, and I’m talking about dismissing you in an appalling manner.

“I’m out there preparing that surface for their guys to play on. I don’t expect to get the abuse that I receive when I ask an individual to stick to a certain rule. I’m left hung out to dry out there. I need the delegate with me to enforce the rules and take that away from me.

“The rules are loosely termed and they need tightened up. We are being filled with excuses game after game.

“Down south it was seamless, the players were regimented. But that comes from the coaching staff. The players are just told what to do.

“If we don’t protect our pitches, our football becomes a backwater. Players don’t want to come up and play on a poor pitch.

Some outspoken comments there! I'm assuming Paul means abuse from people within football who know nothing about the difficulties of preparing a good playing surface? Although, what does he mean about sticking to certain rules etc ? I'm confused

Some outspoken comments there! I'm assuming Paul means abuse from people within football who know nothing about the difficulties of preparing a good playing surface? Although, what does he mean about sticking to certain rules etc ? I'm confused

My guess is he is referring to the league rules below

Pitch Protection

H9

In order to protect the pitch and unless otherwise agreed between both participating Clubs, the following procedures shall be adopted by Players and Officials in the periods immediately before and after and at half time during a League Match or Play - Off Match:

H9.1

the pitch shall only be used for warming up or warming down by Players named on the lists of Players provided to the Referee not less than one hour before the time of kick-off;

H9.2

pre-match warming up by either team shall not commence until at the earliest 45 minutes before the scheduled kick-off time, shall not last for more than 30 minutes, and shall end not later than 10 minutes before the scheduled kick-off time;

H9.3

if portable goals are provided they shall be used for all goalkeeping drills other than crossing practice;

H9.4

the goalmouth area shall be used by goalkeepers only if portable goals are not provided or for crossing practice and then only for not more than 20 minutes;

H9.5

for the purposes of warming up and warming down each team shall use only part of the pitch between the edge of a penalty area and the half way line or as otherwise directed by the groundsman;

H9.6

all speed and stamina work shall be undertaken off the pitch parallel to the touchline opposite the side to be patrolled by the assistant referee or, in the absence of sufficient space at that location, in that part of the pitch described in Rule H9.5 or as otherwise directed by the groundsman;

H9.7

Players using the pitch at half time shall give due consideration to any other activity or entertainment taking place on the pitch at the same time;

H9.8

the Home Club may water the pitch at half time provided that it gives reasonable notice to the referee and the other Club that it intends to do so and that any such watering is carried out evenly over the entire length and width of the pitch;

and

H9.9

any warming down after the conclusion of the League Match or Play-Off Match shall last for no longer than 15 minutes and for that purpose neither penalty area shall be used.

from: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthespfl_1375800603.pdf

• 1 month later...

My first game at Fir park this season during the week.

Pitch was looking fantastic in what were fairly dreadful conditions.

Praise certainly due for the decision makers and staff delivering one of the best surfaces in the league

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

pitch is immaculate but there have been some international breaks and then the winter break and it has been a relatively mild winter which have all been good for the pitch and that combined with 2 superb groundsmen = a lot of the other spfl managers complimenting our playing surface

Tynecastle has had all the same benefits above yet was absolutely awful on Wednesday night which suggests to me it is hard work, having the right people in situ and a bit of investment. Hopefully when Celtic come back after the split they may realise why we have been incredibly protective of the goalmouths.