Motherwell V Celtic Sat 17 Oct 12:00

Yabba's Turd

A bit puzzled by Louis Laing in midfield even moreso by Mark McGhee's post match comment along the lines of "We were unexpectedly forced to play Louis Laing in midfield" - does anyone know what was behind that remark?

I missed the 'forced to play' bit. Mcghee also said he sees an excellent midfielder in Louis Laing so we may see a lot more of him in that position regardless of who is available.

Celtic were to a man a class above us on every level.

Just out of interest who in that Celtic team do you think played well? Gordon had nothing to do, the back four looked suspect at the merest hint of pressure (unfortunately thats all we could manage), Commons looked overweight and unfit, Armstrong was never in the match, I didn't think Rogic had a good match and Biton went off injured. That leaves you with Brown, who played well and Ciftci who took his chance.

Far from a great Celtic team I'd suggest. Even if you look at their recent form, they lost to Aberdeen, drew with Hearts and scraped a narrow win over Hamilton. Yesterday they only managed to beat a poor Motherwell side 1-0 and didn't do much in the 2nd half. You are right to say they were a class above us but I think the point is, they shouldn't have been.

If Celtic didn't play well as your post suggests then how come we hardly get out our own half in the first half of the match

Because we hardly made any attempt to get out our own half, played with a 'get a 0-0' mind set even after we were 1-0 down and constantly gave the ball away.

It ended 0-1 but Ripley did not have to pull off 5 or 6 great saves. He didn't even have to pull off 3 or 4. Celtic passed the ball around but we made it easy for them by giving them 70% of the pitch to play in.

2nd half when we played a bit better, Celtic looked pretty ordinary.

If Celtic didn't play well as your post suggests then how come we hardly get out our own half in the first half of the match

A fair bit of that would be the inability to pass to a team mate.

And Around 8 of our team being camped out in our 1st quarter of the pitch with almost no option to pass forward

• Like 1

I watched this match in my local (Celtic pub in Lenzburg.) If you think this Celtic team is of decent quality, you need to seriously have a word with yourself.

They believe it's one of the worst during their time following them.

The other comments made yesterday, was why did Motherwell not make any attempt to try and rescue a point and attack a poor Celtic defence.

We did look set up for damage limitation and at no point looked capable of anything offensive.

MCGhee tried to take positives from his post match comments. However, I'm sure he has already weeded out the dross already.

Another unbalanced squad of even lesser quality than before.

Massive restructure ahead!

A fair bit of that would be the inability to pass to a team mate.

And Around 8 of our team being camped out in our 1st quarter of the pitch with almost no option to pass forward

Must've been contagious . Celtic spent the second half putting easy passes straight out of play or to a Welll player .

It was a shit game, but I saw nothing in the opposition that had me in awe. Ridiculous % possession stats but that means hee haw.

see Mourihnos Inter robbery against Barca for details.

Much to be concerned about but panic is a long way off for me.

We'll get rapidly sharper, fitter and better organised in a short space of time . Then make a judgement

• Like 1

Just out of interest who in that Celtic team do you think played well? Gordon had nothing to do, the back four looked suspect at the merest hint of pressure (unfortunately thats all we could manage), Commons looked overweight and unfit, Armstrong was never in the match, I didn't think Rogic had a good match and Biton went off injured. That leaves you with Brown, who played well and Ciftci who took his chance.

Far from a great Celtic team I'd suggest. Even if you look at their recent form, they lost to Aberdeen, drew with Hearts and scraped a narrow win over Hamilton. Yesterday they only managed to beat a poor Motherwell side 1-0 and didn't do much in the 2nd half. You are right to say they were a class above us but I think the point is, they shouldn't have been.

I appreciate your opinion mate but Celtic never came out of 2nd gear because they didn't have to. They were passing the ball about like a training drill, one touch football and failed to score more than once because we had 9 men in our defensive third.

Gordon never had a save to make and although it may not be a vintage Celtic team they would beat is 9 times out of 10 given our current predicament.

Celtic may be shite, but were 10x shiter, and I think all the bed wetters on here who are having a go at our line up need to get a reality check.

Interesting team selection from McGhee yesterday

I didn't believe a word of his 'it the best team based on what he had seen in training'

he was simply using the game as trail for the players he doesn't know

he had nothing to lose and he knew it would give him some good insight into the players

I did note that in the second half he made some changes which had positive results

I'd like to see who is in his 'best team' in 3 or 4 weeks time

On wards and upwards

Oh before I forget Celtic were rank, that was the slowest Celtic team I have seen in years how they are at the top of the league I don't know (apart from all the dodge decision with go in their favor and a team full of hacking diving divas)

On the basis of Saturday, his best eleven should not include McDonald or Johnson right now, that is clear.

For me Grimshaw did reasonably well although his distribution could have been better on occasions. Kennedy has potential, even if he has a few rough edges. Ainsworth is one player who seems to be playing to close to his potential this season. Just wish he'd be a bit more disciplined in staying wide rather than drifting infield. Like the look of both Moult and Fletcher despite them being starved of service this season. Sadly neither looks cut out for playing wide in a 433 so most weeks, it'll be one or the other. 433 should also consign McDonald to the bench. Not a player to lead the line. As someone has said elsewhere, may need to look at addressing the imbalance in the squad in January.

More negatives. For anyone who likes to point out Hammell's flaws (and we know he has some), any time anyone comes in to play left back in his absence be it Angol, Straker, Chalmers, they never look half the player he does. Is he perfect? Not at all, but he's still the best left back at the club by some distance. Chalmers is young but right now looks far from ready. Johnson, as others have pointed out, looks half the player he did last season or even in preseason against PNE. McGhee will have to try and figure out what is wrong with his head and/or fitness and address it. Even in poor form this season, he's scored a goal, has an assist and won a penalty. More than some have contributed. Which brings me to the guy that missed that penalty. For those who said McDonald was being played out of position, I ask why that prevents him from passing to a Motherwell man ten yards away (I know he's not alone in this, but he's our "star player" that I suspect we've pushed the boat out for) or controlling a football? For me dropping him on Saturday wasn't a bold decision. On form, it was the obvious decision. Moving on, Laing in midfield may work long term but is the middle of a relegation battle the place for him to learn the position?

McGhee may not know who's his best eleven after Saturday's game. But he probably has a better idea of who's not in it...

For anyone who likes to point out Hammell's flaws (and we know he has some), any time anyone comes in to play left back in his absence be it Angol, Straker, Chalmers, they never look half the player he does. Is he perfect? Not at all, but he's still the best left back at the club by some distance.

Are we going to see much more of Stevie Hammell? In terms of his injury record, this season is fast turning into the same as the last one and he's a year older.

Are we going to see much more of Stevie Hammell? In terms of his injury record, this season is fast turning into the same as the last one and he's a year older.

I don't disagree but the fact that his latest "replacement" is no more ready for the job than previous deputies was more the point I was trying to make. If we could squeeze one more season out of Hammell while hopefully our coaches (and watching Hammell) helps Chalmers improve, then that'd help. Having said that McGhee helped turn Jim Paterson into a passable left back so maybe we shouldn't write off Chalmers too soon..

I don't disagree but the fact that his latest "replacement" is no more ready for the job than previous deputies was more the point I was trying to make. If we could squeeze one more season out of Hammell while hopefully our coaches (and watching Hammell) helps Chalmers improve, then that'd help. Having said that McGhee helped turn Jim Paterson into a passable left back so maybe we shouldn't write off Chalmers too soon..

Charmers is more than capable on the ball - he's just painfully slow off the ball

Oh yes, I don't disagree that he's probably the best we have, although I've never been his greatest fan. I think Chalmers' biggest weakness is his lack of pace and that won't change. Jim Paterson for all his faults was very fast - one of the fastest players on our books at that time although many fans didn't realise that. Depending on how Luke Watt progresses we could be looking at bringing in one or possibly two new full backs next season.

The remarkable talent Stevie Hammell has for winning headers despite being five foot nothing.

I still have nightmares Big Weegie about the 2005 Scottish League Cup Final when the former Rangers kept pumping high balls over Stevie's head and caught us out time and again.

As much as the team selection raised eyebrows, as has been said, it was a free pass and nothing more than a training session/trial.

It just seems to me that McGhee has inherited a team entirely bereft of confidence. Although it is not on display terribly often, there is some ability there and I would guess that is why he was asked to come in and do something with it.

Yes, there really is an imbalance in the squad but given that the majority of those "on the books" have longer term contracts and the loanees go in January, it doesn't give much scope for a cull at the end of the season and a there's a ticking clock towards January.

Therefore McGhee has no choice but to do the best with what he's got, and seek to transform some of his surplus ie defence and attack. It makes sense that Laing and Moult (who are on longer contracts) should be tested on their flexibility cos quite simply, going out and buying a quality combative midfielder is not an option for the time being.

We won't go down and I'm happy to wager that we will also avoid the playoffs.

I still have nightmares Big Weegie about the 2005 Scottish League Cup Final when the former Rangers kept pumping high balls over Stevie's head and caught us out time and again.

Granted he had an aberration that day, but his heading ability generally belies his stature.

On a side note, I have a football signed by one Mr Partridge. A ball signed by a chap who scored in a final for the 'Well . A rarity by any stretch methinks , shame we got pumped. As they say however it was a right good day out at Hampden.

One thing that might not sit well on here, I actually thought Josh Law had a decent game on Saturday. Certainly far from the worst of performers.........

And our best chance came from his cross

I get that people say he's not good enough, I don't get how he's at the top of that list, when there are a few others that imho are worse both in capability and effort, a few that get MOM votes regularly