Best Well Game You've Attended

StipeIsGod

I had almost forgotten the St Mirren cup game. I have never been in a more packed Fir Park, think the crowd was stated as 21000 but it was way way more than that,literally couldn't breathe. Huge accusations of us having kicked St Mirren off the park, big bully tactics. I did some business with the Buddies Bobby Torrance 20 years later and he was still unbelievably bitter about that day.

Think it was actually 27,000 +. Had never seen it so busy - other than when the OF came calling. Think it's fair to say, we looked after ourselves that day and Fergie's 'darlings' never knew what hit them lol. Think I've quoted it before but Doug Baillie's opening comment in the Sunday Post the following day was along the lines "...as the gladiators entered the arena, the roar could be heard at Glasgow Cross" always had a little exaggeration and poetic license in his musings.

There's a few memorable ones. The CIS cup semi against Hearts was a bit special. The celebrations when Fizzy scored the winner were incredible.

The Hibs 6-6 game was a mental evening. One of those occasions where an equaliser feels like a winner. Also the way the equaliser was scored was a bit special.

The 3-0 Kilmarnock game away from home. I believe it was just after we went in to administration. Faddy absolutely ran the show that day.

Think it was actually 27,000 +. Had never seen it so busy - other than when the OF came calling. Think it's fair to say, we looked after ourselves that day and Fergie's 'darlings' never knew what hit them lol. Think I've quoted it before but Doug Baillie's opening comment in the Sunday Post the following day was along the lines "...as the gladiators entered the arena, the roar could be heard at Glasgow Cross" always had a little exaggeration and poetic license in his musings.

Aye, Fergie had that team playing dirty, niggly football. They were just upset we beat them at their own game.

By far the biggest crowd I've experienced inside Fir Park.

It was reported as a 27 000 crowd. Definitely 30 000+.

However after getting crushed in the choir section, I moved behind the goals before getting crushed again. Ended up 6 feet up the flood lights at Knowetop school side.

Let's just say that we were combative that day and dished out a lesson to Fergies lot.

Anyone remember the half time entertainment that day and the subsequent singing Lol?

Great reading this thread!! 81/82 season full of brilliant memories as was the cup run of '91, but the start of that run up in Aberdeen was probably.... The most memorable game for me as the sheep were cup holders and nobody gave us a chance. I drove up from Sheffield and picked up my pals en route. The Beach end was jumping that day and tbf, when Kirky came on my pal Floydo said he's gonna score from this free kick... Aye right! Then boom! Fantastic night spent in Edinburgh that night!!! Even got a kiss of a WPC guarding is in the Beach end at the final whistle... Great times!!!

• Like 2

Too many to mention but apart from the 1991 Cup Final its probably the 1976 Scottish Cup replay against Hibs at Ibrox which we won 2-1. The game should never have been played and Tom Hart got his just desserts.

Another memory jogged

Going absolutely mental as we scored the winner. Surreal moment to think we were in the"Rangers" End at Ibrox beating Hibs , back in the days when terracing was black ash and railway sleepers. The cloud of ash when we scored, looked like I'd been down a coal mine when I got home. Another odd memory, in the Fir Park tie I watched a guy get lifted and marched round the track - with a dart embedded deep in his skull- yes an actual Crafty Cockney Dart. Surreal, he was completely oblivious!

BigWeegieDosser, on 21 Oct 2015 - 6:47 PM, said:

Another memory jogged

Going absolutely mental as we scored the winner. Surreal moment to think we were in the"Rangers" End at Ibrox beating Hibs , back in the days when terracing was black ash and railway sleepers. The cloud of ash when we scored, looked like I'd been down a coal mine when I got home. Another odd memory, in the Fir Park tie I watched a guy get lifted and marched round the track - with a dart embedded deep in his skull- yes an actual Crafty Cockney Dart. Surreal, he was completely oblivious!

One of the first games I can remember going to with my dad ,all I can remember was the guy walking round the track with the dart in his head .

As some of you have already said, it's funny how the mention of certain games jogs the memory.

In that 3-2 game v Celtic at FP, I remember standing behind the goal and a Well fan was been looked at by the first aiders on the trackside.

Then Wiilie P scores the third and he jumps up and down like a madman

Great reading this thread!! 81/82 season full of brilliant memories as was the cup run of '91, but the start of that run up in Aberdeen was probably.... The most memorable game for me as the sheep were cup holders and nobody gave us a chance. I drove up from Sheffield and picked up my pals en route. The Beach end was jumping that day and tbf, when Kirky came on my pal Floydo said he's gonna score from this free kick... Aye right! Then boom! Fantastic night spent in Edinburgh that night!!! Even got a kiss of a WPC guarding is in the Beach end at the final whistle... Great times!!!

I listened to this game on World Service in my bed when I was working in Burma (now Myanmar). Kept fading in and out and when Kirky scored it had just faded back in and my cheers woke everybody up in the staff house. Got up for a few whiskies to celebrate!!!

One of the first games I can remember going to with my dad ,all I can remember was the guy walking round the track with the dart in his head .

That was the Hibs match at FirPark. Think it was the first match of 3 which we eventually won 2-1 at Ibrox.

Another brilliant match was against Kilmarnock at FirPark 1976-1977 season.

We were down 2 or 3-0 at half-time and looked well beaten. Jim O'Rourke came on as a sub that day and played a blinder scoring 3 or 4 goals before eventually winning 5-4.

The forwards we had back then were class acts. That team should have won silver wear, no doubts!

• Like 1

That was the Hibs match at FirPark. Think it was the first match of 3 which we eventually won 2-1 at Ibrox.

We were down 2 or 3-0 at half-time and looked well beaten. Jim O'Rourke came on as a sub that day and played a blinder scoring 3 or 4 goals before eventually winning 5-4.

The forwards we had back then were class acts. That team should have won silver wear, no doubts!

Scorers that day

O'Rourke, 51,61,65 mins ; Pettigrew, 71mins ; Davidson, 74mins

Fallis, 5, 13mins ; Maxwell 67 mins ; Smith 68 mins

Dead and buried 0-2 at half time.

O'Rourke hat-trick 3-2 within 20 mins of coming on.

A quick double for Killie 3-4

Pettigrew and Davidson double 5-4

What a match!

• Like 1

Scorers that day

What a match!

And McVie seeing a red card in the 2nd half. Which apparently was for a 2nd bookable offence, despite everyone who was at the game (including myself) swearing years later it was a straight red for deliberate handball. That's how legends are formed.

Didn't Stuart Rennie suffer concussion during this match as well and played on with a bandage "a la " Butcher?

Didn't Stuart Rennie suffer concussion during this match as well and played on with a bandage "a la " Butcher?

Remembered the game, thinking we are beat, then it's in the bag, then everything swapping all over again.

Can't remember anything about McVie getting sent off or a Stuart Rennie incident.

However, I do remember Rennie bandaged up in old pictures. Could be this match but not sure?

Scorers that day

What a match!

Another fantastic memory, only tainted by the fact that that was the only game , home and away, that I missed that season!
  • Like 1

The Dundee Utd cup game at Tannadice 2-1 down into injury time. Big Softie fires home an equaliser after a penalty box stramash.

Cue unparalled joy and mayhem in the enclousure celebrating.

Course we lost midwek replay 0-1 as is our want.

The stramash and mayhem were equalled outside the ground that day.

I seem to recall the facial injury he received was the reason he grew a beard.

This was a great game, I also think that we started with, I think, Colin McAdam at right back and he got subbed off soon after we went two down.

Most of the best game I've attended have been mentioned but one which I don't think has was Motherwell 3-1 Celtic towards the end of the 2012/2013 season, and I think the win guaranteed us Europe(?).

We went 1-0 down from a Hooper goal from a rebound but after that we tore Celtic to shreds and the destruction on the counter attacked and dominance we showed all night was amazing. Goals from Ojamaa, a Higdon pen and an OG I think sealed the win, but Humphrey tormented Izzagueire (sp?) all night, Higdon bossed it up top and Ojamaa was on fire.

We could have honestly won that game 6/7-1 without a doubt! Great game.

The Dundee Utd cup game at Tannadice 2-1 down into injury time. Big Softie fires home an equaliser after a penalty box stramash.

Cue unparalled joy and mayhem in the enclousure celebrating.

Course we lost midwek replay 0-1 as is our want.

I remember that one.

Me my dad and grandad had just left but I sneaked back in and seen the goal.

Started shouting to everyone outsidevwe scored.

Just catching up on this after a few weeks away...great thread, and hard to answer.

Cup Final, Nancy Away (for the occasion), 6-5 Aberdeen (for the bewilderment), 6-6 Hibs, Skippy Sunday, the play-off games all favourites for me.

Only one of note that I haven't seen mentioned that stands out for me is the abandoned game against Hearts in 1999/00 (?) season under Billy Davies. Was horrific weather and game somehow went ahead, much to the delight of the many Bayern Munich fans who had came to the game as it was night before they faced Rangers and they had occupied the East Stand section next to the Cooper. They were singing and dancing all the way through the game.

Gilles Rousset was sent off early in the game for a horrific challenge on Goodman (?) and we took a 1-0 lead against our biggest rivals for 3rd. The game was abandoned at before the start of the 2nd half, yet the majority of fans stayed in the ground and joined in the songs with the Munich fans. They lead us on a chorus of "stand up if you hate Rangers"

I'm sure we lost the rematch - which ultimately costs us 3rd place - but really fond memories of that (half) game.

Also, loved the final game that season when we had to beat Champions Rangers and hope Hearts dropped points to Hibs. We hammered Rangers 2-0 at a packed Fir Park.