Best Well Game You've Attended

StipeIsGod

Too many to mention but apart from the 1991 Cup Final its probably the 1976 Scottish Cup replay against Hibs at Ibrox which we won 2-1. The game should never have been played and Tom Hart got his just desserts.

We eventually crawled over the line on the 3rd attempt Dave.

Probably my fav team and gutted they never won anything. Bad luck, fate and even a certain referee conspired against us back then.

Don't remember the score, but it was Summer 1984, it was against Partick Thistle. My big brother took me, I was 6. It was my first ever Motherwell game.

That's my favourite game

I was thinking the same

My first games was in 1994 an we lost 2-0 against Dundee and it will always be a special game for me

other games that sticks out stopping 9 in row, helicopter Sunday, 6-6, Heart semi at Easter Road

I would also added the CIS and Scottish Cup finals okay we lost both but watching the Well in a cup final is a special thing

What a great - and timely - thread. Who wouldn't buy the compilation DVD of that lot!?

Of the games I've attended, it's the '91 final for me, just edging out the 4-2 semi that preceded it. The games someone mentioned earlier where McClair scored 5 to win consecutive home games against Rangers then Celtic were pretty memorable too.

Finally, a special mention for the entire 1981-2 season. The pre-match walk up Airbles Road never felt so good as that season progressed, the only concern being whether we'd score 6 that day, or only 5. Do you feel lucky, punks? Well, do ya?

91 semi replay, like most people.

Not the game itself, but the manner we won the game and the rage it caused. 1-0 against Rangers at the at the start of Souness' reign.

Beating Forfar away 2-1 in the old first when Forfar had been unbeaten at home for some time including games against Rangers and Celtic. Just knew then that we would be coming back up.

Beating Brechin at home the same season to win the league.

Dortmund away

Albania away, just because I was there.

The best football I ever saw us play was the day Phil died.

Unbelievable going forward, tore United apart.

I was talking to my mate the other day about this game. Still get goosebumps for the best hour of football I've seen in my 25 years of supporting this team. 3-0 in the first 17 minutes against a pretty decent United side, could've been 5 or 6 at that point alone. The guys on the park played some of their best football for the club that day.

Sadly the game will never be truly remembered for that. Still miss the captain to this day.

• Like 1

This was a great football that I will always remember. No OF agenda, nothing particularly at stake but I think that almost makes it better. When I'm on my death bed this is probably the Motherwell game I will remember.

Check out John Clark booting Dougie Arnott off the ground after the penalty award, wouldn't get away with that these days!

• Like 3

Thought I’d add to this thread to try and alter my viewpoint on all things Motherwell which is at as low an ebb as I can ever remember. 15 months of solid ineptitude on the pitch will do that….Anyway…..

All the usual suspects would be in there for me also. The cup final in 1991, the semi-final replay in 1991, semi-final v Hearts in 2005, semi-final v St Johnstone in 2011, play off games v Rangers, last game of the season at Pittodrie, Skippy Sunday, any victory over either of the Old Firm actually.

2 favourite yet possibly slightly less obvious games hold a special place for me though. 2-1 v Aberdeen at Fir Park near the end of season 2007/2008 when victory all but clinched 3rd place and European football for the first time since 1995. I remember the build up to the game, the emotion surrounding everything that had happened with Phil O’Donnell earlier in the season and how it was “meant to be”. I was at absolute fever pitch before the game and they had let kids in for free meaning in was packed. Aberdeen hadn’t been having a great season but had hit a bit of form in the recent weeks so it was far from a forgone conclusion. I don’t remember too much about the game due to the stress: I can scarcely remember wanting to win a game as much as I did that day and when Darren Smith poked home the opener my wee pal at the game later said I had made a noise ”like a dinosaur”!! Aberdeen equalised but we scored a great winner. I remember Hughes crossing it and I looked to see who was in the middle and it was Porter. “He’s not going to miss” and he didn’t. The whole passage seemed to happen in slow motion! I remember Aberdeen hitting the underside of the bar and it bouncing of Craigans knee into Graeme Smiths arms. I don’t want to contemplate how I would’ve felt if that had sneaked in! There was a torrential downpour after the game and I remember dropping to my knees outside the stadium into a river of burst drains, arms in the air, like Andy DuFresne in “The Shawshank Redemption” after he’d crawled through the sewage pipe to escape!! I’m not a religious man, but I’m certain that was Phil sending his approval.

The other game that always stands out for me was beating Hearts 3-1 in the Scottish Cup in season 1998/1999. Not long after John Boyle had declared his ambition for Motherwell to be the “third force” in Scottish football and had brought in players like John Spencer, Ged Brannan, Tony Thomas and I think this game was Andy Gorams debut for us also? The results had been a bit inconsistent but I remember feeling that this team had enough quality to go far in the cup. I remember absolute bedlum at Ged Brannans belter of an opener and although Hearts (who were actually cup holders at the time) equalised we played great, were always in control and eventually went ahead through Coyle before Tony Thomas made the game safe. It of course proved to be another false dawn……

• Like 1

What about the game at Imverness when me and my Mrs left at 2-0 down. Heard a roar thought shit it's 3-0. Was told it's 2-1. then 5 minutes later heard another roar shit it's 3-1. Nope we've equalised it's 2-2 by the time we got to Inverness town centre we'd scored again 3-2. AMAZING.!!! Also left the famous Hibs 6-6 game when were 4-1 down. So there's the best Well games i've MISSED...

This was a great football that I will always remember. No OF agenda, nothing particularly at stake but I think that almost makes it better. When I'm on my death bed this is probably the Motherwell game I will remember.

Check out John Clark booting Dougie Arnott off the ground after the penalty award, wouldn't get away with that these days!

What a great season that was to watch, feel quite sorry for the younger generation that missed it. Tommy Coyne and wee Dougie were just phenomenal. I was always convinced if we had a keeper that year we'd have won the league!!

• Like 3

milo, on 18 Oct 2015 - 1:34 PM, said:

Thought I’d add to this thread to try and alter my viewpoint on all things Motherwell which is at as low an ebb as I can ever remember. 15 months of solid ineptitude on the pitch will do that….Anyway…..

All the usual suspects would be in there for me also. The cup final in 1991, the semi-final replay in 1991, semi-final v Hearts in 2005, semi-final v St Johnstone in 2011, play off games v Rangers, last game of the season at Pittodrie, Skippy Sunday, any victory over either of the Old Firm actually.

2 favourite yet possibly slightly less obvious games hold a special place for me though. 2-1 v Aberdeen at Fir Park near the end of season 2007/2008 when victory all but clinched 3rd place and European football for the first time since 1995. I remember the build up to the game, the emotion surrounding everything that had happened with Phil O’Donnell earlier in the season and how it was “meant to be”. I was at absolute fever pitch before the game and they had let kids in for free meaning in was packed. Aberdeen hadn’t been having a great season but had hit a bit of form in the recent weeks so it was far from a forgone conclusion. I don’t remember too much about the game due to the stress: I can scarcely remember wanting to win a game as much as I did that day and when Darren Smith poked home the opener my wee pal at the game later said I had made a noise ”like a dinosaur”!! Aberdeen equalised but we scored a great winner. I remember Hughes crossing it and I looked to see who was in the middle and it was Porter. “He’s not going to miss” and he didn’t. The whole passage seemed to happen in slow motion! I remember Aberdeen hitting the underside of the bar and it bouncing of Craigans knee into Graeme Smiths arms. I don’t want to contemplate how I would’ve felt if that had sneaked in! There was a torrential downpour after the game and I remember dropping to my knees outside the stadium into a river of burst drains, arms in the air, like Andy DuFresne in “The Shawshank Redemption” after he’d crawled through the sewage pipe to escape!! I’m not a religious man, but I’m certain that was Phil sending his approval.

The other game that always stands out for me was beating Hearts 3-1 in the Scottish Cup in season 1998/1999. Not long after John Boyle had declared his ambition for Motherwell to be the “third force” in Scottish football and had brought in players like John Spencer, Ged Brannan, Tony Thomas and I think this game was Andy Gorams debut for us also? The results had been a bit inconsistent but I remember feeling that this team had enough quality to go far in the cup. I remember absolute bedlum at Ged Brannans belter of an opener and although Hearts (who were actually cup holders at the time) equalised we played great, were always in control and eventually went ahead through Coyle before Tony Thomas made the game safe. It of course proved to be another false dawn……

My eyes are dazzled looking at your post

Loved reading through this thread. My own personal favourites, in no particular order, are KIlmarnock away after we went to admin. Never seen so much emotion at a game in my life. The well fans were amazing that day and showed what a special club we have.

Have to mention skippy Sunday aswell, the fact there was so many of the great unwashed around me was priceless! The way it happened was superb!

Also the ibrox play off game, Aberdeen on the last day of the season, beating rangers on the last day at fir park to narrowly miss out on finishing 3rd. And the semi final at Easter road

Looking up at the clock at halftime and seeing Rangers 0 Motherwell 2. Total disbelief, said to my dad "keep it tight, if we get away with a 2-0, 2-1 then it's all to play for on Sunday!!!" Then Ainsworth has the audacity to score again! I thought I was going to wake up. After all the shite we'd taken all week that we'd be getting hammered and sent down this was as sweet as it will ever get. To ram the words back down the media and Rangers fans throats was just incredible.

• Like 1

I remember the Texaco cup games against Stoke and Spurs in 70/71? great games and fantastic atmosphere. Gutted to loose to Hearts in the semis after ref played about 25 minutes injury time!!!

I also remember a game against Celtic in in the 70's when we were 2-0 down and Pettigrew tore them apart in second half to win 3-2(or am I just dreaming that one).

1991 cup final was great and very emotional.As was seeing team in Katowice after travelling all the way over from Yemen where I was working.

Beating Aberdeen at any time.

I remember the Texaco cup games against Stoke and Spurs in 70/71? great games and fantastic atmosphere. Gutted to loose to Hearts in the semis after ref played about 25 minutes injury time!!!

I also remember a game against Celtic in in the 70's when we were 2-0 down and Pettigrew tore them apart in second half to win 3-2(or am I just dreaming that one).

1991 cup final was great and very emotional.As was seeing team in Katowice after travelling all the way over from Yemen where I was working.

Beating Aberdeen at any time.

Pettigrew game was on Sportscene last night.

I have a soft spot for the Falkirk game in '91. Really decent crowd, end to end football and some great goals. Coop was majestic that day and even managed to tease a goal out of Joe McLeod! Big Cusack was immense as well.

As mentioned the Semi Final replay against Celtic was unbelievable. Wee Dougie tore them apart and Psychos goal was just the icing on the cake.

Conversely I never enjoyed the Final. Stomach was in knots all day. Couldnt relax until it was all over.

The Katowice game at home was pretty special. Fir Park was rocking under the floodlights for our first ever home game in Europe. Great battling display with some great football between Russell and Cooper. Just a shame the away goal killed it and it was too little too late at the end.

Motherwell 3 Celtic 2 cup match.

Every Texaco Cup game.

All the matches mentioned earlier.

I'll throw in the Motherwell v St Mirren (Fergie) cup match at FirPark. Crushed inside FirPark that day and they did have half the support that day. Approx 15-16k supporting each team. Great atmosphere!

I had almost forgotten the St Mirren cup game. I have never been in a more packed Fir Park, think the crowd was stated as 21000 but it was way way more than that,literally couldn't breathe. Huge accusations of us having kicked St Mirren off the park, big bully tactics. I did some business with the Buddies Bobby Torrance 20 years later and he was still unbelievably bitter about that day.