Mcghee Haters

prideoflanarkshire

As someone who has backed Mark McGhee throughout his time at Motherwell, I have to admit now that I'm worried.

I can understand, to an extent, that a manager might not be fully aware of what his best XI is 10 games into the season. What I struggle to understand, and accept, is a manager seemingly not having a scooby how he wants his team to play, or what tactics he wants to use, 10 games into the season..

The transfer policy he's overseen also leaves him very open to criticism...

Resigning Samson? Mistake. Why sign two average goalkeepers? Spend the budget on one very good one, with a kid backup.

At the back, Tait & Heneghan look decent enough (but certainly not the greatest).

McHugh is a very unfortunate case.

Clay? Released from Grimsby, and I can see why.

Lucas & Belic? Answers on a postcard please.

If Bowman & Blyth were targets one and two for a new striker, I dread to think what the rest of the list looked like.

McGhee has gone through bad spells at Fir Park before, but in three seasons at Motherwell, he's finished 3rd, 7th and 5th. That's good going. I've believed McGhee is the best man for the job, however, if Mark McGhee no longer believes that or is losing the desire to be Motherwell manager, then it's best if he moves on.

Whatever it may be, it will have to come from the man himself, because he's certainly not getting punted by the men in charge at the football club. Our next three games are Ross County (h), Dundee (a) and Partick Thistle (h). Huge.

• Like 3

I am not a McGhee hater and not bothered he came back. I also am not sure how many people are 'staying away' because of him? I don't think we will suddenly see an extra 1k on the gate every week when he leaves.

However, I am not hugely impressed with a couple of things. He does not have a plan B and by default takes too long to try and change things. Some of the signings this summer were also very questionable.

The next 2 or 3 games could be very important with the league still relatively tight but starting to stretch out.

All I can say is that by this point last season, my eyes were starting to bleed reading 'Baraclough' and 'imposter' in one sentence.

McGhee is getting a relatively easy ride on name value alone.

McGhee has a pretty good track record as a Motherwell manager. Do you want to list all the other Motherwell's who's lowest league position in a season was 7th? It'll be a short list.

Comparing McGhee to Baraclough based on a spell of bad form is, well let's just say misguided.

It's obvious our costs are being slashed as the club has to survive on its own generated revenue at the same time as player wages are constantly rising, meaning the quality of player we are attracting is plummeting.

And this is speculation on my part, based though on various comments that have come out of the club, but I believe that McGhee has not even been given a proper player budget, rather drip feed small amounts of cash to build the squad throughout the transfer window. Financially we are down to the bone.

That means that managing Motherwell is going to be a tough, tough task for anyone in the foreseeable future.

Clubs like Dunfermline and Falkirk (by nearly 1,500 so far) get higher average home attendances than us in the Championship than we do in the Premiership. As long as huffy fans stay away the clubs hands are tied. With 3,000 supporters coming to matches we are operating at what is close to the bare minimum for a professional club at this level.

Look at St. Mirren, it could easily be us in a couple of seasons so let's try and do everythng we can as fans, to make sure that doesn't happen. Be as positive as possible and help the club, instead of throwing toys out the pram, staying away, slating the players and manager etc.

• Like 4

With the budget being as tight as it is why are we wasting money on Blyth, Bowman, Belic and Lucas?!?!

4 players contributing absolutely zero and from the limited minutes we've seen of 3 of them, looking less than capable to say the least!

One decent left sided midfielder or attaching midfielder is what is required. Not 4 donkeys that won't bring anything to the team.

As fans we're probably more aware of budgets than we ever were and what are the above costing us a week in wages to contribute nothing. It's money down the drain.

With the budget being as tight as it is why are we wasting money on Blyth, Bowman, Belic and Lucas?!?!

4 players contributing absolutely zero and from the limited minutes we've seen of 3 of them, looking less than capable to say the least!

One decent left sided midfielder or attaching midfielder is what is required. Not 4 donkeys that won't bring anything to the team.

As fans we're probably more aware of budgets than we ever were and what are the above costing us a week in wages to contribute nothing. It's money down the drain.

Hindsight get is great but I am guessing we saw something in Blyth and Bowman and we did need cover and options up front. Belic is an odd one but as a loan I guess we don't know how much if anything we are paying. Lucas makes sense as cover in centre midfield given its only to January and McHugh is out on his arse.

That said! If we aren't going to even give some of them a proper go in the team then it really is pointless.

That's a valid question.

I'm absolutely convinced there is something going on, perhaps a deal with an agent, that means we basically we get Lucas for nothing or next to nothing. Otherwise I don't understand why we have signed him twice and not used him.

Bowman had a good record at the same level as Moult and that's obviously why we brought him in. Any transfer is a risk and its not worked out so far but may do in the future, bit early to judge but he's not had a great start, then again we haven't created a lot and nothing has really fallen for him either.

Blyth and Belic. We've signed far too many crocks over the last two or three seasons.

McGhee has a pretty good track... ...manager etc.

A good point well made. In terms of my own, I more meant to suggest that for all of the 'McGhee haters', and I must admit, I'm not his biggest fan, he's still getting a relatively easy ride from the fanbase as a whole based on being a known face. Not so much comparing him to Baraclough in particular as saying that, in isolation, as opposed to looking at his previous reign, (again, the recognisable face, as opposed to an unknown 'outsider') his performance recently has been dire, with no sparks to suggest an imminent improvement.

Keeping in mind, of course, that this forum can occasionally be a petri dish for the more...extremely opinionated fans.

What an absolute embarrassment to post that after today's game.

We've actually got fans who hate McGhee more than they love the club.

I said it in jest you fuckin idiot, wind your neck in.

And I'll never hate anyone more than I love our club, honestly I despair with some people on here

• Like 1