Mcghee Haters

prideoflanarkshire

It doesn't feel like that

Absolutely. However it depends what you're looking at. If you lump all the results together then it looks fine as that % obviously includes last season and league cup games so in the league he won 12 in 28 so 42.65%. This season though he's only 3 wins in 11 so 27% which is clearly less impressive.

However in terms of points per game;

PPG last season: 1.42

PPG this season: 1.09

I suppose the win ratio over his whole period as manager goes out the window if he loses x amount on the bounce and I think we were getting pretty close to the type of form that would have seen his (or any other managers) jacket being on a shoogly peg.

Win ratio over a whole tenure is a good indicator of what sort of average we are looking at but can be skewed depending on long-running winning or losing streaks.

Hes won 19 out of a possible 46 = 43%...it probably doesnt feel like that because of the amount of abuse he takes when things aren't going well

I get that but the three games against Stranraer, East Stirling and Annan skew things a little. What's more concerning me is our performances against those with similar budgets and resources which doesn't make pretty reading. I'm also not convinced he has been responsible for bringing anyone in who is sellable this far.

Feel he's been a bit hamstrung this season between injuries and how ridiculously stop/start the season has been. Has he even been able to field his best 11 yet?

In truth I'm not actually sure he's known what his best XI has been. He's been trying to make his 433 work and just hasn't been happening.

It's worth mentioning that in a general sense the disruption the LC group stages seem to have caused to pre-season has impacted on the fitness side of things, not just for Motherwell. If you bounce about other clubs forums there's been a recurring theme of fans commenting on the apparent lack of fitness of players.

I was all for McGhee coming back last season. I think in the way he left last time he was always going to be a panto villain when he was Aberdeen manager to some extent, but the levels our support take it to are extremely precious.

When we were looking for a manager last season, I couldn't have named you someone better we could have had to take over. Last season had peaks and troughs for him and people seemed to look out for excuses to criticise him. There were derogatory chants about him when we beat St. Johnstone at Fir Park just after Christmas last year and then one of the offenders argued on twitter with me that he wasn't in the wrong singing them (the same chants heard at Pittodrie in 2009) about his own manager. Utterly baffling. He claimed that it was okay to support Pearo as he had been humble in his return. Was beginning to think the East Stand was turning into an episode of loose women. Also, at McDiarmid Park in February, I was utterly ashamed at how our support were willing him to fail so badly. People also used the angle that his appointment was a stagnation in youth development, yet when he trusted Cadden and Hall to start, week in, week out, they were left to question that one. Not McCall nor Baraclough could have claimed to do that.

This season I have questioned some of his tactics, some of his decisions and some of his signings. Some of the recruitment I have questioned (see my post in the Inverness thread for greater detail) but how I tend to rationalise his decisions that I don't agree with seems a million miles away from those who'd be bringing pitchforks if they could get away with it. The league table and the game were as bleak as each other last Wednesday, but at this stage of the season it's far too close to call anything. From the depths of despair on Wednesday to Saturday's great win we jumped two places alone. I thought after the Inverness defeat it was a big three games coming up, we've already won one of them.

Considering if McGhee does well then we do well, then I'm all for getting behind him. As people say, he does have his flaws, but if he didn't he wouldn't be managing us. He took us from one week away from relegation to our highest finish for thirteen years, followed by finishing a comfortable 7th the following season. It was disappointing not to get top six that season, but we struggled badly when Craigan and Clarkson were injured for a fair chunk early on in the season and the defeat to St. Mirren to cost us it was poor, but a club our size should be reasonably pleased with finishing there. Then upon his return he streamlined Baraclough's poor squad and took them to a 5th place finish, a very credible turnaround from being 11th in February. This season his budget and has been cut and I don't think all of it has been used too wisely, as I've alluded to, but it's far too early to think about his position for rational reasons.

I want a football manager of the club I support to be a good manager first and foremost. He might not be the "nice guy" Baraclough was perceived as, he might not be "one of the lads" like McCall was perceived but if he does a good job I don't give two hoots.

I don't think many of the things he gets criticised for are specific to him and I think that he gets a far worse time for it than previous managers did. For what it's worth, I think the way he left the last time was nowhere near as bad as the way Craig Brown left.

• Like 4

People also used the angle that his appointment was a stagnation in youth development, yet when he trusted Cadden and Hall to start, week in, week out, they were left to question that one. Not McCall nor Baraclough could have claimed to do that.

I fully agree with the rest of your post, Joe, but this bit in particular absolutely winds me up something daft, generally added with a 'aye, but apart from them' caveat. Morons.

A bad result. But i'd give the current time management team until Christmas. The league will be tight.

This. 100%

Given he took us to a very unexpected top 6 finish last year, he has until Christmas before any calls for him to go can be justified. Even more so when the league is so tight.

That all said, things need to be consistently better.

Does McGhee's contract not expire at the end of the season? If so I'd expect him to see it out while retaining our premiership status before Craigan steps up.

Craigan coming in would be a gamble. I might be in the minority but not sure I really want Craggs in charge. I couldn't cope with the press conferences and post match interviews for one. I just wouldn't have enough time.

Small margins in a lot of cases.

It was three or four goal pumpings every week and we were detatched then I think we'd be right to panic.

Of course there have been a couple but in many cases the margins between defeat and a point, or even a point and a win have been slight.

Think of the last minute goal at Ibrox, the disallowed goal (wrongly) at Firhill, the game changing deflected goal right on half-time that gave Hearts the lead and here we have another goal that could have changed the course of the game at Dens today.

There's much he can do better certainly but for me it's by no means anything like a sacking case at the moment.

• Like 1

Craigan coming in would be a gamble. I might be in the minority but not sure I really want Craggs in charge. I couldn't cope with the press conferences and post match interviews for one. I just wouldn't have enough time.

As with most internal promotions at a football club, it would be a huge risk but Craigan just seems like an obvious successor to me. Yes it's a big step up but he has the u20s well drilled and will be familiar with the majority of players that we plan to have in the first team 1-2 years from now. Regarding press conferences, yes he can blether but he generally provides very good insight.

Today we could easily won today if we didn't have absolute whallopers as officials. We were much the better team in the first half and we lost a goal at the worst possible time right before HT.

Second half wasn't good enough but most teams, not just us fold at 1-0. It's almost coached into players these days because of the emphasise put on getting the first goal.

Right I know McGhee isn't popular but it gets boring that every time we lose he must go. However........why he starts hammell is beyond me and he has been a legend but it's now a season too far for las. McGhee does himself no favours but remember we were top 6 last season so what exactly do folk expect?. I think w will be fine this season but let's all get together and support team....COYW