Aberdeen V Motherwell Sat 24 Oct 15:00

Yabba's Turd

So are we hiding our heads in the sand by enjoying the 2 great threads on best game and best performance or just scared to think about the upcoming match? It's Thursday already and yet the match day topic is way down the board.

I'll go for 2 - 1 to the 'Well based on nothing other than optimism and the hope that McGhee as sorted out a few things during the week.

COYW

I think you'll probably see the 3 who dropped down to the bench last week start tomorrow. Question is whether or not he sticks with Law at right back, Laing in midfield and Moult on the left of the front 3 and how many changes he's willing to make.

For me Dom Thomas is a much more obvious fit for that inside left role offensively but he doesn't have the work rate of Moult, who despite not being particularly suited to that role will still run all day. Suppose it's a question of which is more important re: Moult, his effort or playing him in a position that better suits him overall.

Could see us going with something along the lines of;

Ripley

Grimshaw - Kennedy - McManus - Chalmers

Lasley - Laing - Pearson

Ainsworth - McDonald - Thomas

Interesting question is, was McDonald rested last week or was he not picked due to poor form..?

Definitely. Though I've suggested he might start in that post above I think that both Fletcher and Moult are probably better fits for the central position in a front 3 with Ainsworth and (if he ever finds form again) Johnson on either side.

Interesting question is, was McDonald rested last week or was he not picked due to poor form..?

The same could be said for Ainsworth and Lasley. Officially, all three were rested or dropped (delete as appropriate) as Mark McGhee said that he knew what they could do and he wanted to observe players about whom he knew little. He did not single out any one of the three.

McGhee said he needed to see guys play that he hadn't see play before, so he gave them a run out. Guys like McDonald, he said he already knew about.

Of.course, that might just be some spin, but does make some sense as he will need to evaluate the squad asap.

McGhee said he needed to see guys play that he hadn't see play before, so he gave them a run out. Guys like McDonald, he said he already knew about.

Of.course, that might just be some spin, but does make some sense as he will need to evaluate the squad asap.

I'm probably reading too much into it but there's also a psychological element to it. As poor as Celtic are they're still top of the league, I could imagine there was an element of using last Saturday as a test to see which players actually looked like they had any sort of motivation to turn up and compete against a "bigger" side.

Essentially asking a question of the mentality of the players he hadn't seen much of.

• Like 2

Ainsworth and hammell injured, other than that a full squad to pick from.

2 players you want fit. With the exeption of Pearson we wouldn't miss pretty much anyone else! Typical.

What's up with them? There's been next to no word on the extent of Hammells injury and he's been out for ages. And that's after missing most f last season.

Hammell went to get an op on the other groin. Baraclough was saying when you get a groin op, they usually do the other one as a preventative measure so both are the same strength. But last year Hammell only got the one done.

Ainsworth, dunno, but McGhee said he hadn't trained most of the week and may not travel.

I'd bite your hand off for a point.

You'd like to think we might start to see a bit of improvement but realistically still too early to hold McGhee to account.

The blame is all on the door step of the players, Barraclough and the board for our predicament.