Most Memorable Individual Performance In A 'well Shirt

fizoxy

Since the best game thread is going well, I thought it might be interesting to see what people view as the best individual performance they have seen in claret and amber.

I missed most of Davie Cooper's tenure, so I'm sure there were some games where he absolutely roasted the opposition. I'm guessing faddy might feature in a few submissions too but I can't for the life of me pick out one game that stands out.

I'll add an honorable mention of Davide Fererre, who (as I recall) came on as a second half sub against Hibs, either cracked the bar or narrowly missed from about 40 yards, then scored the exact same goal three times (played in on the right hand side of the box, one touch to set up, then drilled across the goal under the keeper). I'd put about 80% of this down to how terrible Hibs were, and he did nothing after that, but still one to remember. Don't think it's on youtube, which is a shame.

Colin 'Psycho' O'Neil - 09/04/1991 Scottish Cup Semi-Final v Celtic...The goal. The performance...What a team, full of fight, spirit and skill. I actually cream myself when I watch that video. I was there and loved that strip. I wore it until it actually fell apart with wear.

• Like 3

Paul Lambert in Dortmund

Cooper against Aberdeen at Fir Park around 1992....total humiliation of the Dons defence (who were good at the time) for 90mins.

I know its laughable but Neil Simpsons debut against Airdrie at Broomfield sticks out, incredible performance......unfortunately never played very well ever again for us.

Johnny Gahagan around winter 1981 against Kilmarnock at Fir Park.

I'm sure i'll remember many more from the past.........I live my life in the past.

Well Well, on 19 Oct 2015 - 5:52 PM, said:

Colin 'Psycho' O'Neil - 09/04/1991 Scottish Cup Semi-Final v Celtic...The goal. The performance...What a team, full of fight, spirit and skill. I actually cream myself when I watch that video. I was there and loved that strip. I wore it until it actually fell apart with wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR

Never tire of watching this , still got my top too .

On a serious note, everyone will remember strikers and attacking players quite naturally in threads like this, but Shaun Hutchisons last game for us up at Pittodrie was pretty superb.

Goalkeepers will surely feature?

i'd offer some suggestions to match names like Maxwell,Dijstra, Marshall, Ruddy and Randolph,

but my memory needs a jolt when it comes to matches in the past.....

Goalkeepers will surely feature?

i'd offer some suggestions to match names like Maxwell,Dijstra, Marshall, Ruddy and Randolph,

but my memory needs a jolt when it comes to matches in the past.....

Ally Maxwell '91 Cup Final.

How he never won man of the match in that game after being clattered by big John Clark I will never know.

Spent a week in hospital with a ruptured spleen after it.

Remarkable performance.

• Like 1

Ally Maxwell '91 Cup Final.

How he never won man of the match in that game after being clattered by big John Clark I will never know.

Spent a week in hospital with a ruptured spleen after it.

Remarkable performance.

What really got to me was the accusations afterwards by embittered United fans that Ally Maxwell was trying to con the ref and match officials in an attempt to blacken the name of John Clark and gain an unfair and unsporting advantage.

A bit of topic, but I was flicking through yon "Well Again" book the other night. I didn't know this, but we only won 1 game in 19 at one point during the season we won the cup and our form in the league only really picked up when we went on our cup run.

1 win in 19?!?!?! Bloody hell!!!! Very few (if any) managers would survive a run like that these days! And probably rightly so!!

A bit of topic, but I was flicking through yon "Well Again" book the other night. I didn't know this, but we only won 1 game in 19 at one point during the season we won the cup and our form in the league only really picked up when we went on our cup run.

1 win in 19?!?!?! Bloody hell!!!! Very few (if any) managers would survive a run like that these days! And probably rightly so!!

Like I posted in one of the Baraclough Out threads, Tommy McLean's stats in the SPL are pretty grim reading by recent standards (but not by the standards of when he took over)

After winning the First Division in the 84/85 season we managed:

85-86: 9th out of 10 - saved by league expansion from 10 to 12 teams

86-87: 8th

87-88: 8th

88-89: 9th

89-90: 6th

90-91: 6th

91-92: 10th

92-93: 9th

93-94: 3rd - First time we finished in the top half of the SPL under McLean

No way he'd have lasted that long in the current environment.

Back on topic, I remember John McKeever's winning performance against an excellent Dundee Utd team that had the Daily Record tagging him as the next Gerd Muller.

• Like 1