Player You Thought Would Make It, But Never Did

fizoxy

Since talking about the past seems to be more popular than dealing with what's being served up currently, I was thinking about players I thought were going to be a big deal, but ended up falling by the wayside.

This stemmed from watching the Flamurtari highlights the other day, and seeing Mchugh, Slane and Forbes all score.

I never thought Mchugh would amount to much, but the other two looked like they were going to join the production line of top left footed players form MFC, but Slane went to Celtic and turned out to be a total banger, and Forbes just didn't have the pace to compete in the top division.

From an earlier era, I thought that we'd done a great piece of business getting Stevie Nicholas from Stirling Albion. He had just recently roasted Hibs, and it looked like we were going down the route of picking up the best from the lower leagues (Derek Adams was signed around the same time after scoring a barrow load for Ross County in partnership with Neil Tarrant). The guy always showed flashes, but it just it just didn't click.

If he had a bit more pace and a better engine, he could have, but nature only gifted him a wand of a left foot!

The curse of the Scottish game. Running about better rewarded than footballing skill.

Remembering my post in another thread, John McKeever looked a prospect at one stage. Then there was that season in the First Division when the players were raving about how Paul Mills had a great future if he just kept his head screwed on (which I assume was code for "he needs to screw the nut"). Was never seen again.

• Like 2

Plenty of 'well young players i thought would push on to bigger and better things, but Slane is the one i thought was going to be real top class level. The way he broke through andvthe way he could skin players seemingly with his head down i honestly expected to see him playing for a BIG english team.i've not been as impressed/ excited by a 'well prospect since Faddy

The curse of the Scottish game. Running about better rewarded than footballing skill.

Remembering my post in another thread, John McKeever looked a prospect at one stage. Then there was that season in the First Division when the players were raving about how Paul Mills had a great future if he just kept his head screwed on (which I assume was code for "he needs to screw the nut"). Was never seen again.

Not just Scotland.........there really aren't that many maverick footballers around theses days. Pace and power with a smidgen of skill are valued above all else.

I agree about Forbes & Slane.

I thought when Ian Ross broke through he'd go far in the game. Bags of ability.

I remember Greig Denham winning man of the match in one of his first games in a Sky live game during a 0-0 draw against Rangers (knee injuries set him back big time though).

Big Innes Ritchie looked like he'd have a good career in the game without necessarily progressing beyond us.

Then there was that season in the First Division when the players were raving about how Paul Mills had a great future if he just kept his head screwed on (which I assume was code for "he needs to screw the nut"). Was never seen again.

Paul Mills was the name that sprang to mind when I saw this thread. Played some great games as a sweeper pre-season but rarely featured apart from a notable sub appearance at Dunfermline where he came on for the injured Joe Wark and scored a last minute winner. Seem to recall he played for Falkirk after us before completely disappearing.

Paul Slane definitely, massive disappointment........utter bellend of a human.

I always like Forbes but the lack of pace and more importantly a real lack of confidence was the reason his career slipped, Craig Brown continually dropping him didn't help the lads belief.

I remember Paul Mills also, great talent but from a dodgy family and I believe he hit the drink.

a couple of players from the 80s, early 90s, Stevie Bryce, another boy with great talent just confidence knocked out him from Tam Forsyth and wee McLean and Marty McBride, just ended up a ned waster from Blantyre.