Player You Thought Would Make It, But Never Did

fizoxy

I'm sure I read he was at Troon but that was a few years ago.

Haven't used his company services in a while. His employer was the financial backer at Troon. There was a loan move to a team in the Ayrshire District last year, Last I spoke to him he was looking to finish up as an injury was taking it's toll.

Forbes came on to the scene and looked a player, but within 10-15 games it was clear he had a good left peg at dead ball situations and nothing else.

Pretty much agree with that. Craig Brown said at an AGM that when he first burst onto the scene he was a relative unknown to opposition managers (didn't say much for them did it?) and they weren't quite sure how to play him. However after the first round of fixtures they got his measure and worked out how to snuff him out.

You can't simply put it down to one incident but I always felt a turning point in Forbes Motherwell career was the missed penalty/penalty save at Accies around the November of the season he broke through.

His confidence seemed to be dented by that and whilst he was far from finished at that stage he never reached the same heights at Fir Park again.

Two guys I used to watch in the reserves in the 80's that I thought were great but never made it were Jim Gardiner and Mark Caughey. I remember Caughey scoring a hat-trick against Celtic and he was on fire that day. I spoke to Jim Gardiner years ago when he was playing for Swansea and he wasn't very complimentary of wee McLean. Said it was him that never really give him a chance in the first team,

Was that not a reserve League Cup final? I certainly mind being at that reserve game he hit the hattrick.