1991 Milk Cup Semi-Final V Man United

Infamous Wee Grafter

During the 1991 Milk Cup, we played a Man Utd side (featuring the likes of Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Keith Gillespie & Robbie Savage) in the Semi-Final and drew with them, before losing on penalties.

Does anyone know who all played for Motherwell during that game?

What age group was it?

We had some pretty decent youth teams around that time. The Scottish Youth Cup was known as the BP Youth Cup at that time and I think we got to a Final, perhaps two, and certainly a couple of Semi-Finals.

These were the days when perhaps my obsession with MFC was at its greatest and it was nothing out of the ordinary to head to places like Greenock or Dundee with the old man to watch these Cup games.

I could be completely off the mark but as well as the obvious ones like Paul McGrillen and Phil O'Donnell who progressed into the first team I remember names like Mark Burke, Scott Kinross, Jamie Picken.

Prior to that there were guys like Mark Reilly, Martin Melvin, Stevie Cadden (Chrissy Cadden's old man if I remember rightly), Jamie Dolan involved but I think that year's group would be too old for the match you are referring to.

Certainly there used to be match programmes produced for some of the Semi Finals and Finals of the BP Youth tournament. If you were somehow able to get your hands on one of those from around 1990/1991 it might give an idea of who was involved.

Reports say it was an under 18's United team with 16yr old beckham as captain that won it v hearts

Beckham receiving the 1991 Milk Cup.

article-2325558-001B719700000258-1_608x4

Of course it would be rude not to mention that in 1983 Motherwell won the inaugural Milk Cup.

​“Scottish stars Motherwell were the name on everyone’s lips that year after Irish FA president Harry Cavan declared the tournament open. Stephen Connors was the young lad to emerge with all the plaudits, scoring 12 goals for the Scots, three in the 5-0 win over hosts Coleraine in the final.”

500-motherwell-first-winners-19.gif

The only programmes that I have from the Northern Ireland Cup International Youth Football Tournament are seasons 1983 (1st season), 1984, 1985, 1986 (renamed the Northern Ireland Milk Cup) and 1988.

Motherwell Squad listed in 1983 as;

Gordon Henderson, Paul Smith, Gary Harrison, Derek Halliday, James McLean, Derek Walsh, Robert Kennedy, Stephen Aitken, Paul Tracey, James O'Hare, Stephen Connors, Martin McBride, Kevin McKeown, Mark Reilly, Ronald Findlay and Cameron Young.

They beat Coleraine in the final, were awarded the Tyrone Crystal Award given to the most successful team from outside Northern Ireland and the Player of The Tournament was Stephen Connors,

1988 under 16 Squad;

David Wright, Steven Nugent, Colin Nisbet, Andrew McVicar, Allan Brand, Philip Campbell, David Edgar, Paul Burke, Philip O'Donnell, Kieran Brady, Mark Dickson, Gerard Mitchell, Colin Wilkie and Chris Lambe. Team Official, Bobby Jenks.

1988 under 14 Squad;

Stuart McIntosh, David Arbuckle, James Fullerton, Andrew Wright, John Lavery, Anthony Smith, Nicholas McDonald, Marvin Wilson, Ryan Gallagher, Alex Burns, Brian McLaughlin, Steven Smillie, James O'Neil, David Patterson, Mark Dunn and Robert Bellingham. Team Official, Bobby Jenks.

Sorry no info on the Manchester United squad.

Hope all the above is of interest.

• Like 1

Motherwell Squad listed in 1983 as;

Gordon Henderson, Paul Smith, Gary Harrison, Derek Halliday, James McLean, Derek Walsh, Robert Kennedy, Stephen Aitken, Paul Tracey, James O'Hare, Stephen Connors, Martin McBride, Kevin McKeown, Mark Reilly, Ronald Findlay and Cameron Young.

They beat Coleraine in the final, were awarded the Tyrone Crystal Award given to the most successful team from outside Northern Ireland and the Player of The Tournament was Stephen Connors,

1988 under 16 Squad;

David Wright, Steven Nugent, Colin Nisbet, Andrew McVicar, Allan Brand, Philip Campbell, David Edgar, Paul Burke, Philip O'Donnell, Kieran Brady, Mark Dickson, Gerard Mitchell, Colin Wilkie and Chris Lambe. Team Official, Bobby Jenks.

1988 under 14 Squad;

Stuart McIntosh, David Arbuckle, James Fullerton, Andrew Wright, John Lavery, Anthony Smith, Nicholas McDonald, Marvin Wilson, Ryan Gallagher, Alex Burns, Brian McLaughlin, Steven Smillie, James O'Neil, David Patterson, Mark Dunn and Robert Bellingham. Team Official, Bobby Jenks.

I wonder just how many actually went on to play at a decent level? I notice Phil’s and Alex Burns names in the 88 squad, however, what became of the rest?

I wonder just how many actually went on to play at a decent level? I notice Phil’s and Alex Burns names in the 88 squad, however, what became of the rest?

Paul Tracey was the guy I was desperately trying to think of in the "Never made it" thread. He was supposed to be the next big thing and, from memory, made a few appearances in the first team when he was 16 or 17.

Is the Paul Smith in the 83 squad the same one who played up front with Andy Walker in the mid 80's? I always thought he was older but everyone was old to me at that point.

I wondered that as well but the Paul Smith that played in our first team apparently played his youth football elsewhere...

The name James O’Hare rings a bell as well from around season 84-85.

James O'Hare works in a concrete plant in Motherwell...dont think he got near the 1st team, or played at any level after leaving Motherwell

What age group was it?

We had some pretty decent youth teams around that time. The Scottish Youth Cup was known as the BP Youth Cup at that time and I think we got to a Final, perhaps two, and certainly a couple of Semi-Finals.

These were the days when perhaps my obsession with MFC was at its greatest and it was nothing out of the ordinary to head to places like Greenock or Dundee with the old man to watch these Cup games.

I could be completely off the mark but as well as the obvious ones like Paul McGrillen and Phil O'Donnell who progressed into the first team I remember names like Mark Burke, Scott Kinross, Jamie Picken.

Prior to that there were guys like Mark Reilly, Martin Melvin, Stevie Cadden (Chrissy Cadden's old man if I remember rightly), Jamie Dolan involved but I think that year's group would be too old for the match you are referring to.

Certainly there used to be match programmes produced for some of the Semi Finals and Finals of the BP Youth tournament. If you were somehow able to get your hands on one of those from around 1990/1991 it might give an idea of who was involved.

Martin Melvin works as a surveyor for a Road Surfacing company in Bellshill

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

This one from a few years ago made me chuckle.  I actually played on that team and played in that game.  I remember a few of the boys from that team but no idea where they are now.  I was #7 and played on the right hand side.  Here is what I remember. 

Willy McLean and Bobby Jenks were in charge of the team.

GK - James ??? (played club football in Edinburgh, played for us in Milk Cup and the following year in BP Youth Cup), RB - Jon Combe (I think, another Edinburgh lad), CB Paul Doyle (signed YTS after tournament), LB - Tam Augatis (sp.) also signed YTS after that tournament.  Me at RM, CM - A lad called David Gemmill, Up front were 2 Bathgate lads. Paul Ferguson was one (was a YTS signing), the other was a lad called Les Malone (I met Les a few years later, I was studying at Heriot Watt, he was also studying in Edinburgh.  I roomed with a guy called James Mulgrew (Dixie), I think he went on to become an attorney.  The others I can't really recall.

We played Colraine at their home ground in opening game and won.  I remember the Man United game the most.  It was 0-0 after extra time.  Beckham had a penalty saved in the 90 minutes.  We lost on penalties and walked off with Nobby Stiles arm around me.  The other United coach was Brian Kidd.

That was good team.  I signed YTS after that summer and played the following year.  We had a good BP youth team that year too and went to the semi final.  Losing against His at Easter Rd.  Alex Burns was in that team, Innes Ritchie, Paul Lavery, and a few of the boys I mentioned earlier.  

Best I can do.  Brought back some great memories.  I wish I had the program.

IMG_0702.jpg

• Like 7