Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 7 Nov 15:00

Yabba's Turd

What a character he is - we had the pleasure, albeit very briefly, of a chat after the game and he's a hoot. I thought he was a terrible appointment for caley when he got the gig but he's done a great job there and they played some decent stuff the first half hour today

In a game where there are many average players and managers whose talents are overestimated by the media, Yogi's talents seem to fly under the radar. His record holds up well against his peers.

To order a retake of the penalty I'll grudgingly agree with as the main encroacher was first to the rebound and cleared the ball. Never a penalty in the first place though. Second goal should have been Ripley's ball when the aimless through-ball went into the box but he didn't move, put pressure on Law and he fluffed his clearance. Great goal by Vigurs but any reason why Ripley didn't even bother having a go at saving it? Wouldn't be surprised if we appeal the red again and win. First yellow was a great tackle but the second yellow is the one that matters and it certainly looked like the boy was feigning injury to me.

Can't appeal a yellow card, even one that results in a red.

Law's encroachment was as a result of shadowing his man who moved into the box, possibly technically a correct decision but it was a poor interpretation of what happened.

Having read the rules, both teams encroaching mean the kick should be retaken whether it was scored or not.

Having read the rules, both teams encroaching mean the kick should be retaken whether it was scored or not.

Fine if that is the case, but was never a penalty in the 1st place. As you have a rulebook nearby does it not have to be deliberate handball for a penalty or stopping goal scoring opportunity. McManus did neither. Thomson is a charlatan and has done us few favours if any ever !!!

• Like 1

Jacol, on 07 Nov 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:Jacol, on 07 Nov 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

In that case the retake should have been re-taken as players from both sides encroached.

Na mate, you are dead wrong, I have freeze framed both and the second one was about half a yard if that, in real time barely visible. The first was defo retake, no argument. Ref is still a bias arsehole though, no question.

. Second goal should have been Ripley's ball when the aimless through-ball went into the box but he didn't move, put pressure on Law and he fluffed his clearance. Great goal by Vigurs but any reason why Ripley didn't even bother having a go at saving it? Wouldn't be surprised if we appeal the red again and win. First yellow was a great tackle but the second yellow is the one that matters and it certainly looked like the boy was feigning injury to me.

It was Mcmanus that fucked up for the second , no one else, cleared it straight to a ICT player

He was an integral part of the joint highest placed Motherwell team in living memory and was one of the best a bad bunch in the next season before being dropped.

Sure, clapping opposition goals might be a tad cringeworthy -but not nearly as much as people abusing the guy for two years and then booing him for no apparent reason when he came back. Probably the same type that insist he "stole a wage" tbh.

I didn't abuse him for two years, or boo him today. Nor have I even said he's a bad player- he had a few great moments for us- but his work ethic was questionable and he is one of four culprits responsible for us being papped out of Europe by a bunch of fishermen. And even if I had never heard of the guy I'd still be raging about the a'Well fans applauding the goal, as brilliant as it was.

I didn't abuse him for two years, or boo him today. Nor have I even said he's a bad player- he had a few great moments for us- but his work ethic was questionable and he is one of four culprits responsible for us being papped out of Europe by a bunch of fishermen. And even if I had never heard of the guy I'd still be raging about the a'Well fans applauding the goal, as brilliant as it was.

You're right. Sportsmanship is going to be the death of our game.

• Like 1

Watching the game from the Cooper Stand I felt at the time it should never have been a penalty.The ball was headed back towards McManus from a couple of feet away and it hit his hand.Not only was it at point blank range, he had his back to the player and didn't see the ball coming towards him, never mind move his hand in the direction of the ball. There is no way that should be construed as deliberate handball and the highlights only confirmed that for me. Thomson's probably got the re-take decision right though.

Watching the highlights, McManus's second booking looks very soft and a nothing incident, certainly I couldn't see a swinging elbow. I thought his first booking was for the challenge in the centre circle midway through the second half where the Motherwell player looked as though he won the ball as I hadn't appreciated he got booked for the penalty. Was that Kennedy's booking?

I thought we played some decent stuff at times but, as with last week, decision making and the final ball is letting us down. We've certainly played a lot worse this season and at least the forwards now look as though they've met each other before which didn't look the case earlier in the season. I thought all our link up play went through McDonald and we missed that badly when he went off with us back to playing as individuals.

Also, what the hell was going on when it looked as though Jake Taylor was about to come on?

I didn't think we deserved the win last week or the defeat this one so 3 points from the two games is better than the two draws we probably merited.

• Like 1

Bizarrely I really enjoyed the game today despite the loss.

Sure, many of our usual failings were on display but they will take some time for Mchee to get to grips with.

The main thing for me is the body language of the players. Its so much more positive, no ones hiding and the players kept going right to the end.

With the exception of Chalmers, everyone seems to be playing with renewed confidence.

But for some bad luck, bad refereeing and admittedly poor decision making by us in the final third, that result could easily have gone the other way.

There were some signs that the nice interplay which defined McGhees initial spell at the club were returning.

Disappointing to lose the game but I havent felt that positive after a loss for a long time.

• Like 3

Was it a pen in first place?defender is jumping for header ,hands naturally go up for leverage,and hits him with his back to ball.....that's my recollection anyway.... Might look different when I see it again

never made the game so never saw the pen award so dont know if it was justified in the 1st place. only saw higlights of the retake

I know I've ranted about this before, but Motherwell fans applauding a goal against us, especially by a player that stole wages for a big chunk of his time here, really does my nut in.

Och away you go. Vigurs was a cracking player, ruined by a manager who didn't know how to use him. A group of fans who didn't appreciate him , who would rather he backtracked than got forward and done what he done yesterday didn't help either.

Watching the highlights, McManus's second booking looks very soft and a nothing incident, certainly I couldn't see a swinging elbow. I thought his first booking was for the challenge in the centre circle midway through the second half where the Motherwell player looked as though he won the ball as I hadn't appreciated he got booked for the penalty. Was that Kennedy's booking?

McManus wasn't booked at the penalty, his first was that challenge in the middle.

To be fair I would have clapped that whoever had scored it. Not only was the finish superb, how many times will they have tried that in training and the guy hitting the corner will have overhit it or hit the first man.

Okay it's not ideal that it was against us but how many times a season do you see goals like that in the flesh. My natural reaction was just to clap it and not anything to do with it being vigurs who scored it

I'm not much of a Vigurs fan but I naturally applauded his sublime strike, as well as the cross from Tansey.

In a league that is bereft of quality I'll applaud or acknowledge a fine piece of skill in a run of the mill game regardless of what shirt they are wearing.

Regarding the pen I thought it was a stonewaller at the time due to how high McManus hand was. Watching it back it's a soft award but can see why it was given. The retake is also the correct decision.

Seeing the highlights this morning reaffirms my initial feeling of positivity coming away from Fir Park. Show that commitment and belief every week and we'll comfortably finish mid-table.

I was totally unsure of yesterday's performance, after listening to McGhee's pre match interview.

Yes, we had plenty of possession but I think the tactic back fired.

First thing I noticed was the off the ball movement was poor, with no one showing for passes or to support one another. How many times did the left back have space on the wing with no out ball, other than checking and coming back.

In contrast, I.C.T. had triangles and movement all over the pitch.

However, the ref was shocking! What at an arsehole he is!!!

Message to linesman - how the fuck can you call for a booking on McManus. He knew he fucked up and similar to ref in rugby match ran straight up the tunnel. Bellend!

Lopez - typical foreigner. You are a disgrace to your sport! Cheating bastard!

3000 miles to see match and wasted by a couple of bellend trumped up officials. Useless twats!

I hope the management team are reading this as their performance yesterday was worse than the teams, and I don't mean the coaching staff.

We are a club struggling to make a profit and we are being begged to contribute more and more to the club through the well society and by spending more within the club.

So why was there no half time draw tickets sold yesterday.

That must have lost the club a good few hundred pounds which is a lot of £5 & £10 contributions.

Now I know the money from this draw does not go to the well society but its still money into the club.

Same thing goes for opening the South stand for this game to accommodate the huge travelling support of 100 people.

I counted 6 stewards in the bottom of the South stand plus at least 3 catering staff as they left with about 15 mins to go.

Why was the South stand open when we have successfully accommodated them in the POD before.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

So in these days of the club asking us give more cash they seem to be throwing cash down the drain.

Not good enough IMHO.

I appreciate that Chalmers has been pretty dire, but for those who think an ageing Hammel, on the back of most of the last two seasons out to injury, will come in a save all is a step too far. He's only slightly younger than Lasley, who sine on here would have papped into a nursing home at the end of last season.

• Like 1

First thing I noticed was the off the ball movement was poor, with no one showing for passes or to support one another. How many times did the left back have space on the wing with no out ball, other than checking and coming back.

In contrast, I.C.T. had triangles and movement all over the pitch.

However, the ref was shocking! What at an arsehole he is!!!

First point. Totally agree. As much as we harassed Inverness at times they passed and moved and always got themselves out of trouble by doing so. They always dropped short and showed for it and always managed to find space. And that was an Inverness team decimated by injuries! On the other hand we were, and have been for as long as I can remember static, predictable and constantly tried to thread the ball through the eye of a needle! Chalmers is a terrible signing but in his defence quite often when the ball was played to him there was no one showing, dropping short of making and sort of run! He's not got the skill of pace to go by his man from a standing start (it's too risky anyway) so what are history options? Go back the way or punt it into an area. Same with Law.

Everyone knows that Ainsworth and Johnson are only effective if the ball is played in front of them yet for the while game they seemed to be marking the full backs or received the ball with s defender closing them down.

Point 2. Ref was utterly incompetent. Booked McManus for a strong tackle in the middle which I'm not even sure was a foul, second yellow for something equally innocuous but didn't book their player for a bad foul on Johnson in front of the Bois or even give a foul for a lunge on Johnson on the other side. The penalty was soft as fuck and retaking it was a joke. How many times do you see penalties being retaken regardless of players entering the box? Having watched the highlights the penalty was never a penalty in the first place and if it had to be retaken for encroachment the first so should've the the retake! McManus 2nd booking wasn't even a foul!!

• Like 3

To be honest I'm not despondent after yesterday still lots to work on but clear progress. We have tightened up defensively and formation- wise. Still not quite there up front though, Moult is the one guy I would say merits a start, he's scoring regularly and his work rate is miles beyond the other forwards. Robinson has obvious pace, Fletcher obvious strength , Skippy has the guile but is clearly off the boil, and Clarky.... He once scored for Scotland !

So the obvious second man is.....?

I'm surprised to see the outpouring of despair in the posts immediately after the final whistle. Not saying yesterday was brilliant, but we looked far more cohesive than we have for most of the last 18 months. Bizarrely I never felt we were completely out of the game until about the 80th minute.

• Like 1