Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 7 Nov 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Fine if that is the case, but was never a penalty in the 1st place. As you have a rulebook nearby does it not have to be deliberate handball for a penalty or stopping goal scoring opportunity. McManus did neither. Thomson is a charlatan and has done us few favours if any ever !!!

Just to add to add to the ineptness of the ref. Since he gave the penalty he should have booked McManus for deliberate handball

• Like 1

Regarding the pen I thought it was a stonewaller at the time due to how high McManus hand was. Watching it back it's a soft award but can see why it was given. The retake is also the correct decision.

Technically correct maybe, but the referee blew his whistle for the penalty to be taken when the players involved were already in the box. At the very least the referee has to make sure all players are outside the 18 yard box before the penalty is taken.

What Thomson has basically said there is "the rules only matter if the penalty is saved".

Technically correct maybe, but the referee blew his whistle for the penalty to be taken when the players involved were already in the box. At the very least the referee has to make sure all players are outside the 18 yard box before the penalty is taken.

What Thomson has basically said there is "the rules only matter if the penalty is saved".

From the highlights, when he blew the whistle, everybody was outside the box, or on the line at worst:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2016.19.

It also didn't look like he was going to signal for a retake until he'd seen what happened with the rebound. Given that Josh Law, who was virtually in line with the ball when the kick was struck, then cleared it out the park, I don't see that he had much choice.

Penalties would be more interesting if everyone could run in once the whistle goes. Would also stop those stupid run ups.

I thought those stutter step ups were supposed to be stopped, rule change was introduced just before the World Cup, mind you prob just be made to retake. Just stomached the highlights again, really harsh pen to give, noticed that Thomson didn't bother blowing the whistle until after it was saved and cleared, was in the Stevie O'Reilly book of refing that performance. After Grimshaws shot hit the bar just felt like it wasn't going to be our day seeing that they seemed to be getting there share of good fortune.

Also don't get the Vigurs love in on here. Fantastic goal no doubt, but it seemed each week people were discussing what a marvelous player he can be, still waiting to see that. Surprised he never treated to us to his usual pirouette which was generally followed by losing possession.

Still feel Vigurs is a good player when used to his strengths. He's a 'midfielder' overall, but when he's being asked to be part of a 2 man midfield, or worse, on the wing, looks rotten, as he plays best just behind the strikers.

It's equivalent to playing Scott McDonald as a target man because he's a 'striker'

Just to add to add to the ineptness of the ref. Since he gave the penalty he should have booked McManus for deliberate handball

I did wonder about that. Watching the highlights I thought it looked as though he had booked him and wondered if he had actually booked him three times or if the booking for the challenge in the centre circle (which I thought was ok) was for someone else.Watching again it appears his hand is up to indicate handball and he isn't showing a card as I first thought.

Also don't get the Vigurs love in on here. Fantastic goal no doubt, but it seemed each week people were discussing what a marvelous player he can be, still waiting to see that. Surprised he never treated to us to his usual pirouette which was generally followed by losing possession.

I think that's because ICT's style of play is based on first touch or touch and go passing rather than dwelling on the ball. Again, possibly showing our style of play didn't particularly suit him although injuries prevented us from seeing the best of him.

Other than a wonderful goal (which we know he's capable of) I though he had a pretty quiet game and I'm not sure he'd be starting if it wasn't for their injury problems.

I hope the management team are reading this as their performance yesterday was worse than the teams, and I don't mean the coaching staff.

We are a club struggling to make a profit and we are being begged to contribute more and more to the club through the well society and by spending more within the club.

So why was there no half time draw tickets sold yesterday.

That must have lost the club a good few hundred pounds which is a lot of £5 & £10 contributions.

Now I know the money from this draw does not go to the well society but its still money into the club.

Same thing goes for opening the South stand for this game to accommodate the huge travelling support of 100 people.

I counted 6 stewards in the bottom of the South stand plus at least 3 catering staff as they left with about 15 mins to go.

Why was the South stand open when we have successfully accommodated them in the POD before.

Seems like a waste of money to me.

So in these days of the club asking us give more cash they seem to be throwing cash down the drain.

Not good enough IMHO.

I have wondered why the south stand gets opened for teams who bring a really poor support, st johnstone, ross county, ict, etc, it must cost quite a lot of money for stewards, food kiosks and other general stuff.

These teams could easily be accomodated in the Pod stand.

Message to linesman - how the fuck can you call for a booking on McManus. He knew he fucked up and similar to ref in rugby match ran straight up the tunnel. Bellend!

Spot on Al as we said at the game.

Overall, it was just one of those days and no matter what team Inverness put out, or what we did they were always going to win - call it fatalism if you like. A frustrating game that you get once or twice a season. There wasn't much between the sides and whilst we were better on the ball they were much superior off it. Not a great performance from us but not that bad. Early good fortune in various guises for Inverness completely turned the course of the game. To their credit they worked far harder than us whilst we were in possession and had the capability of using 2 men to close down our player in possession in virtually any area of the pitch. I felt a bit sorry for Moult and Macdonald as its doubtful if they received more than 2 balls ahead of them all game - the constantly had to come short with 2 brutes of defenders wrestling with them from behind - just not their game. For whatever reason Peraon did not play his usual game of running up and down to support the strikers. All that said, we did play some decent stuff at times and it isn't easy when faced with 5 or even 7 defenders. Just a pity Dom Thomas wasn't on the bench - the second half was made for him. I thought too Louis Laing might have been brought on later on - if we're going to rely on lumping high balls into the box against towering defenders then he's your man to ruffle them up.

A series of controversial incidents turned the game. The penalty - never one in a million years. I'm surprised that Thompson even saw it amongst the welter of bodies. There was a fair bit of jostling with the ball bouncing around and eventually it hit McManus on the arm. The penalty retake - nothing short of ludicrous. You see this week in week out with no action taken and then on Saturday.... Its like foul throws - you see 100 per season with perhaps one being randomly punished per year or the police pulling up the 73rd car in a line of 382 travelling at the same speed for speeding.

By half time I feared that we'd receive a red card but didn't know who the recipient would be - it could have been anyone; as it turned out the unlucky "benefactor" was McManus. I agree entirely with Milo here. McManus' first card was absurd - it was a perfectly good well timed tackle with his boot on the ground connecting with the ball. His second one, right in front of us was shocking. A tussle at worst with the objectionable Lopez play acting. The linesman put his flag up and that was that. As Catweazles RP commented he shot off PDQ at the end to the jeers of the fans. I felt so sorry for McManus.

The game would have turned out very different had the penalty not been given; the retake had not been given; Storey's shot had not taken a wicked deflection; and Lopez been red carded for a shocking tackle on Johnson or his lashing out at Grimshaw off the ball. All if and buts though.

Vigurs' once a season strike was a great finish but how awful was our defending of the corner?

• Like 2

I wasn't there but it looked like one of these days even from the brief highlights.

To be honest on balance I think it was a penalty, McManus's hand was so high he gained a huge advantage but I do get it was only there from the leverage from the jump before.

The encroachment is so unlucky. Law follows the forward in, which you would because you wouldn't be confident that a referee would penalise them for it. But on the way in he overtakes him and then heads the ball clear which highlights to Thomson he was in the box early. Given where the ball was and the sequence of events he couldn't not notice it. And for all he was right, it does seem annoying it happened because we followed their guy in and only did it because referees fail to penalise 99 times out of 100.

I didn't feel I had any complaint with the second yellow. For all it was a nothing foul it broke up such a promising attack I don't think you could fail to caution in the circumstance and the time was such McManus should have let him go. He's old enough to know better and I think he really let us down.

But Dingwall is a new game and hopefully we get the breaks and can do the business.

I wasn't there but it looked like one of these days even from the brief highlights.

To be honest on balance I think it was a penalty, McManus's hand was so high he gained a huge advantage but I do get it was only there from the leverage from the jump before.

The encroachment is so unlucky. Law follows the forward in, which you would because you wouldn't be confident that a referee would penalise them for it. But on the way in he overtakes him and then heads the ball clear which highlights to Thomson he was in the box early. Given where the ball was and the sequence of events he couldn't not notice it. And for all he was right, it does seem annoying it happened because we followed their guy in and only did it because referees fail to penalise 99 times out of 100.

I didn't feel I had any complaint with the second yellow. For all it was a nothing foul it broke up such a promising attack I don't think you could fail to caution in the circumstance and the time was such McManus should have let him go. He's old enough to know better and I think he really let us down.

But Dingwall is a new game and hopefully we get the breaks and can do the business.

Never a penalty , if he's using his hands for leverage , how can he avoid the ball hitting his hands.None of the two yellows were justified imo, took the ball cleanly for the first and the second was a nothing incident, especially when in the last seconds.....so apart from that ref wasn't too bad

Does it not have to be deliberate hand ball to be a penalty? Or are there other clauses in that rule that would apply?

It's a long time since I read the rule book.

correct, law 12 states that a pen is awarded if the player handles the ball deliberately,but with a fud like Thompson in charge it was always going to be given