Sportscene

McCusker

Im not sure if anyone is as annoyed as me about the coverage of our game versus Killie on bbc sportscene, 21secs of footage, 11secs of which was game time, that is utterly disgraceful.

apart from an overated celtic, a pish aberdeen and a championship team, the media do not give a shit about the rest of us, its a total spunk fest over these teams and ignore the rest

no wonder our game struggles, our media is pathetic.

Sportscene directly and indirectly irritates me on a number of levels.

As for what is currently served up, it's actually poorer coverage than what we were getting in the late 1980's. At least in the 80's you actually got your highlights on Sportscene on a Saturday night rather than after 10pm on a Sunday.

The excuse was at one stage in the shambolic history of TV deals agreed by the SPL they somehow incredibly allowed themselves to be tied in to a contract where they had to wait until after 6pm on a Sunday to broadcast internet highlights of games - which in itself almost rendered Sportscene completely pointless - with no TV highlights until a Monday. I mean honest to fuck! if you had a midweek fixture on a Tuesday by Monday you were focused on that and Saturday was long since forgotten about. That we can now get highlights on a Sunday night after 10pm - whoop-de-fucking-do!!

When goals are now on Sky Sports News within an hour of full-time, when club internet highlights packages blow Sportscene's 5 minute internet highlights packages completely out of the water by mid-Saturday evening it's still a day too late night.

Between the SPL as it was and the BBC they allowed what was an anchor of the Saturday night TV schedule in this country to be marginalised and tarnished to the point it's arguably an irrelevance. The schedule in Scotland on a Saturday night should be Sportscene as was - not Match of the Day. End of. You can show your Match of the Day after it, you can show it on your red button, watch the re-run on a Sunday morning (we've paid so much to produce it we have to show it twice) cut to it after Sportscene as they sometimes did in years gone by but, if Sportscene is to have any real credibility and to try re-establish Scottish football on the public service broadcaster in Scotland on a Saturday when it comes to any highlights show it should be Sportscene.

Match of the Day itself is a huge part of the issue in that the budget devoted to Sportscene for a full season is probably the equivalent to about 3 Match of the Day shows.There I do have some sympathy for Sportscene as what they have to play with clearly isn't sufficient. But that sympathy is only slight when you see what can be done in terms of coverage of live Scottish sport by Alba with their Scottish football coverage and excellent coverage of Glasgow and Edinburgh rugby.

I'm probably just getting old, bitter and twisted but to me it is a nonsense and total irritation when you see things like English FA Cup draws or English womans football getting airtime on BBC Scotland schedules when you don't even have a highlights package of Scottish Cup games on TV until the "big" teams come in. I don't give a shit if they are village or junior teams in Scotland I care more about East Kilbride or Forres Mechanics than I do about Braintree Town or Canvey fucking Island. Piss off with your live coverage of English non and lower league sides on BBC Scotland when you can't even show highlights of your fucking national team or Scottish top flight before weans are in their beds for school on a Sunday night,

But back to the show itself for me it does now rank with the likes of your Clyde One phone in and Daily Record. It annoys me that I get so annoyed when people get annoyed each Sunday at Sportscene. It's like putting on Clyde and expecting balance and insight, or picking up the Daily Record and being surprised at the shite journalism you find. It gets shown up and has been getting shown up by other shows devoted to the game in the UK and beyond for years. There is clearly no will to change this when you see how amatuerish a show and how piecemeal the coverage is in comparison.

You want a good highlights show of Scottish football? You're certainly not going to find it in the tired pale imitation of what was a much loved and anticipated staple of a Saturday evening until attitudes and budgets change at BBC Scotland, the SPFL and at the risk of being a little over-dramatic dare I say the governance and direction of Scotland as a nation in general.

• Like 11

Glad I don't have to put up with it anymore. Sounds like it has gotten even worse in the year or so since I left Scotland.

It was better when we had both BBC and STV covering football and each with just highlights of one game. Montford and Crampsey were giants compared to the nobodies they have covering the game today. Live games midweek were few and far between. European finals and big internationals only. The current situation where you can watch a game every evening is true lily a case of more being less.

Scottish football coverage is abysmal on many levels and Andy covers that well further up. It is however easy to use the off switch, although publicly funded BBC coverage is perhaps a slightly different point. Sky/Virgin/BT coverage - unsubscribe or don't subscribe end of. Very costly and dismissive of the Scottish game.

Couldnt really care less about Sportscene. Highlights are online on a Saturday night! That's all you need. No need to froth at the mouth.

No one frothing at the mouth that I can see.

We pay a license fee the same as our English neighbours and,while I don't expect the sane investment,there is no excuse for it being so poor.

• Like 1

Scottish football coverage is abysmal on many levels and Andy covers that well further up. It is however easy to use the off switch, although publicly funded BBC coverage is perhaps a slightly different point. Sky/Virgin/BT coverage - unsubscribe or don't subscribe end of. Very costly and dismissive of the Scottish game.

I doubt many, if anyone pays for Sky or BT Sports because it has Scottish Football.

Biggest problem is that a lot of folk in Scotland are happier paying £10+ a month to Sky to watch English football than pay a premium to watch Scottish football but not to worry cause in the independent utopia that will be Scotland we will All be able to watch the best TV coverage in the world along side every other great thing that's going to happen - truth is Scottish tv channels coverage was shite in the '70's, '80's, '90's, '00's, today and in the fuckin future it will remain the same!

Biggest problem is that a lot of folk in Scotland are happier paying £10+ a month to Sky to watch English football than pay a premium to watch Scottish football but not to worry cause in the independent utopia that will be Scotland we will All be able to watch the best TV coverage in the world along side every other great thing that's going to happen - truth is Scottish tv channels coverage was shite in the '70's, '80's, '90's, '00's, today and in the fuckin future it will remain the same!

Holy fuck that's a mess of a post.
  • Like 2

Couldn't have put it better Andy P.

I think that to say that there is content online is kind of missing the point of a programme like sportscene. Personally, whether I agree with the pundits or not, I like to hear them discuss our games and I like to get an idea of whats going on elsewhere. People are always going on about needing to talk up the game more and here's an ideal platform. To show 15 seconds of highlights or whatever isn't really cutting it and with all the other rubbish on telly I don't really see why it has to be that way.

What the Fuck is that? You seemed to have started a point, then went full BritNat rant mode.

What the Fuck is that? You seemed to have started a point, then went full BritNat rant mode.

Was a (slightly) tongue in cheek reply to Andy P's conclusion

".....You want a good highlights show of Scottish football? You're certainly not going to find it in the tired pale imitation of what was a much loved and anticipated staple of a Saturday evening until attitudes and budgets change at BBC Scotland, the SPFL and at the risk of being a little over-dramatic dare I say the governance and direction of Scotland as a nation in general"

One of the best things Motherwell have done recently is their youtube channel. Highlights are always up at night and its usually a good 7-10 minutes of the game. Highlights of the all the U20 games is great as well, as it gives you a chance to see how the next generation are developing.

• Like 4