Sportscene

McCusker

I think we used to enjoy Sportscene on a Saturday night (or Wednesday night) because we had no expectation of ever appearing on it. 90% of the the time it was OF vs A N Other. So there was never any disappointment at meager highlights - there just weren't any. Same with Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon.

Article from Scott Mullen about Sportscene in the evening times (I think) today.

My mate does some of the graphics on Sportscene and even he says it is a shambles. No budget at all. Even the Saturday scores show they manually hire someone to put in all the scores live...whereas the match of the day version on a saturday afternoon has software that does it all automatically. Sportscene also dosnt get to use the same graphic software for match analysis or the big hanging badges you see the camera move through etc as per match of the day.

Article from Scott Mullen about Sportscene in the evening times (I think) today.

My mate does some of the graphics on Sportscene and even he says it is a shambles. No budget at all. Even the Saturday scores show they manually hire someone to put in all the scores live...whereas the match of the day version on a saturday afternoon has software that does it all automatically. Sportscene also dosnt get to use the same graphic software for match analysis or the big hanging badges you see the camera move through etc as per match of the day.

BBC use 'cost per viewer hour' to justify spending nearly 70 million on MotD and around 1 million on Sportscene .One program gets UK wide coverage,the other gets an audience of 5 million to target.

Does anyone give a fuck what Billy Dodds,Pat Bonner etc think about the days games?

Bin the Google eyed presenter and guests and give us a half hour of highlights.

To me the biggest frustration with the BBC is that regularly they will debate on Sportsound on Radio Scotland about the problems with Scottish Football they will put the blame at clubs, authorities even fans. Yet if they gave Scottish Football a platform on a Saturday night at a fraction of the money they spend on MoTD then that would probably do more for SPFL than anything else.

It's easy for kids growing up in Lanarkshire to watch Man U or Chelsea on tv, to see 15 secs of Mothewell they need to stay up late on a Sunday night.

• Like 3

Good post Jacol. Whats as frustrating for me is the nonsense thats spouted on Radio Scotland Sportsound. When I recently heard score updates from La Liga that summed it up for me. All too often its reminiscent of some half cut mates having a laugh and boozy discussion in a pub about their pet subjects, with the listener left feeling like an unwelcome eavesdropper.

Poor poor show from the BBC.

Good post Jacol. Whats as frustrating for me is the nonsense thats spouted on Radio Scotland Sportsound. When I recently heard score updates from La Liga that summed it up for me. All too often its reminiscent of some half cut mates having a laugh and boozy discussion in a pub about their pet subjects, with the listener left feeling like an unwelcome eavesdropper.

Poor poor show from the BBC.

I think sportsound gives pretty good coverage of s or Scottish football, the radio coverage is something they do well.

When you compare the relative crowds at SPFL games, the fact they cover anyone outside the old firm is quite impressive.

I hate myself for saying that, but it's true.

It's important to us, but we are a niche market. How many people actually care about Motherwell v Kilmarnock?

I think sportsound gives pretty good coverage of s or Scottish football, the radio coverage is something they do well.

When you compare the relative crowds at SPFL games, the fact they cover anyone outside the old firm is quite impressive.

It's important to us, but we are a niche market. How many people actually care about Motherwell v Kilmarnock?

I'd go as far to say Sportsound on R.Scotland is excellent and has been for some years. TV coverage poor to say the least.

Show highlights Sat night 10.30pm then show MOTD...simples.

I'd go as far to say Sportsound on R.Scotland is excellent and has been for some years. TV coverage poor to say the least.

Show highlights Sat night 10.30pm then show MOTD...simples.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, some of the pundits on it are awful, and they do tend to always have a love in with Aberdeen, Dundee United or anybody but Motherwell, but they are covering our games, pretty much any midweek if there's games on, they put on a show.

True, but niche markets are exactly the markets a public service broadcaster is supposed to cover. (Plus, football would be pretty boring if you only ever heard about your own club).

In terms of the regression of the coverage provided by the BBC let's not forget that the likes of Andy Dow, Karl Ready and David Kelly were still playing for Motherwell when the BBC provided live coverage of each top flight game on the internet. That was in something like 2001!!!

Given that few of our games tend to be selected for live radio commentary coverage of your standard Motherwell game consists of little more than grunts and wails of the likes of "urrgh" "oooooah" "wooooahhh"and the very occasional "gooowall" through their painful attempts at re-creating Soccer Saturday through Open All Mics. It's hardly expansive coverage.

Chick Young can single handedly ruin Sportsound depending on what type of mood he's in.

He retires after the Euros,can't come soon enough.

You get the feeling some weeks Richard Gordon and Willie Miller barely tolerate him.