Josh Law

StipeIsGod

I can't help but feel that he is a good, solid, sprightly full back.

He's no world beater, and he makes errors, but why is he subject to such oppobrium from people who ostensibly support Motherwell?

He was arguably our player of the season last year and has worked at a thankless task behind Ainsworth, an attack minded winger if ever there was one, in trying to protect our right flank, despite some bizarre managerial efforts to shoehorn him in elsewhere.

I'm clearly not naive enough to suggest he matches Kaiser (one of my all time Well favourites) or even Quinn as a top class right back, but I can't help but wonder why his every move seems to be under a harsher spotlight than the average Well player.

Is it due to his brother, his McCall link, or am I just mad in believing that he is a good, honest workhorse who has been played out of position by a clutch of poor managers, and should be classed as being unfit to wear the shirt ?

• Like 1

Since day one I've thought that Josh Law was out of his depth. I agree that he gives 100% every game and doesn't hide at any time. However, his distribution down the line generally finds touch and his positional sense is poor. He certainly seems to have improved recently and I hope that he continues to do so. I voted him our MotM yesterday.

I've never been a fan but his performances are improving.

He is however playing at Right Back, the easiest position on a football park, Due to the modern game he gets away with (as do many other full backs all over the world) not being able to defend, tackle, header a ball, but if you can play a pass, have a good engine and support the midfielders you'll get away with it.

All the best to him, seems a decent lad, if McGhee can improve him, excellent!!

He wasn't the worst player on the park yesterday but is still clearly rotten. That much was clear after half a dozen games into his Motherwell career. To make matters worse Barraclough saw fit to offer him a 2 year deal, and that was after working with him for 6 months!! Criminal! To rub salt in the wounds he then signed Chalmers who is one of the worst players I've ever seen pull on the jersey. We have probably the 2 worst full backs in the league and possibly even the championship. Barraclough and the board have a lot to answer for.

Josh Law was IMHO our best player yesterday so I dont think you are mad. It was difficult to defend some of his performances under Barra as he was extremely poor on more than a number of occasions but then again so were the majority of the team towards the end.

With the benefit of hindsight (which is a wonderful thing) it looks like certain players were being exposed more than others by tactics they either didnt understand or werent suited to.

Look at the difference in body language across the team yesterday. Johnson didnt have his best game but he was head and shoulders above the shirt carrier weve watched since the beginning of the season.

I dont think that Law is a world beater but with some careful considered coaching and support (remember that?) he can become a more than capable right back in this league.

As for Chalmers, he seems so short of confidence in himself. Forever turning back inside to lay off the ball when your begging for him to overlap or play it first time. I think there is a player in there but whether McGhee will be able to build him up like he has with Law I have no idea.

I've never been a fan but his performances are improving.

He is however playing at Right Back, the easiest position on a football park, Due to the modern game he gets away with (as do many other full backs all over the world) not being able to defend, tackle, header a ball, but if you can play a pass, have a good engine and support the midfielders you'll get away with it.

All the best to him, seems a decent lad, if McGhee can improve him, excellent!!

Easiest job on the park for me is in the slot behind the strikers. Space, time and if you make a mistake, you get applauded for trying instead of slated.

He wasn't the worst player on the park yesterday but is still clearly rotten. That much was clear after half a dozen games into his Motherwell career. To make matters worse Barraclough saw fit to offer him a 2 year deal, and that was after working with him for 6 months!! Criminal! To rub salt in the wounds he then signed Chalmers who is one of the worst players I've ever seen pull on the jersey. We have probably the 2 worst full backs in the league and possibly even the championship. Barraclough and the board have a lot to answer for.

You been watching all the championship games, aye?

Not seen a huge amount of them but the right backs at Thistle and County are not better than Law or Chalmers in my opinion. Sean Dillon at Utd? He is brutal! So there's three for a start. Wasn't impressed with Caley Thitle's right back either. All at least on a par with Law and Chalmers (who is our second choice remember).

I've always thought Josh Law has been a solid right back, especially at the tail end of last season. His use of the ball is generally good and he can definitely whip in a dangerous cross. I would agree that he needs to improve in a positional sense, but it doesn't help that Ainsworth and Johnson offer little to zero cover and he's often left to mark two men. Coming from the sixth tier in England, I think he's done very well - definitely no worse than Hately or Ramsden.

I've always thought Josh Law has been a solid right back, especially at the tail end of last season. His use of the ball is generally good and he can definitely whip in a dangerous cross. I would agree that he needs to improve in a positional sense, but it doesn't help that Ainsworth and Johnson offer little to zero cover and he's often left to mark two men. Coming from the sixth tier in England, I think he's done very well - definitely no worse than Hately or Ramsden.

No worse than Hateley? Deary me...

Don't agree although law has been decent of late, Hately was better and given an unfair time of it at Motherwell more probably to do with who is father was. He was a very capable full back. The fact he is playing at a higher level now tells you all you need to know. I hope I'm wrong but despite the recent improvements I think law is English conference standard and no more as is Ramsden

imo Law gives 100% every time he pulls on a motherwell top BUT its plain to see that he isnt very good.

i have been vocal in my dislike of his general play, he has zero positional sense, is always far too far off the opositions winger when a cross is whipped in and if u look back at all the highlights of the games this season alot of the oppostions goals have come from his side.

As for Chalmers, he doesnt look comfortable at all and appears to be nervous evertime he goes on the park.

If any Motherwell fan is happy with either of these guys in our first team then it says a lot about standards which are now accepted.

• Like 1

I think Law is decent, and consistently one of the few to get pass marks, particularly last season and last few weeks.

Chalmers looks like he doesn't want to be here! Maybe it's a confidence thing as others have suggested, but to me he looks raging he's at Motherwell instead of playing for Celtic.