Ross County V Motherwell Sat 21 Nov 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Les doesn't invest, he lends.

One positive from today is McGhee's post match interview. Straight talking and well reasoned.

Whatever he does, January is the time to do it. The current squad aren't cutting the mustard so some change is required and that should involve new personnel within the squad. Taylor Grimshaw and Ripley, being on loan, are easy to get shot of. Are any of them worth keeping? If McGhee can get more out of McManus, Lasley, Hammell, Pearson and McDonald then we well on the way, but it would be optimistic in the extreme that he will be able to rejuvenate all five of them. Whether it be age or attitude, there is currently something lacking in all of them. I also think that in the likes of Ainsworth, Johnson, Moult, Kennedy, Laing and even Samson, there are players of SPL quality who should be doing more, so there is material to work with. Unfortunately, the chances of them all coming good at this stage seem remote, so changes in terms of bringing in better quality and freshening up the squad are a necessity.

Can't believe that people still think McGhee will get us out of this. Clueless morons

Presumably then a significant proportion of our support are "clueless morons". A very harsh view of many of your fellow Well fans.

There are a lot of things on the playing side that Mark McGhee has yet to change by his own admission. Time will tell.

• Like 1

clueless, gutless & useless. why did we bother to travel/make the effort when the team cannot be bothered? I have still not calmed down for that poor showing today. my last away game until the team look like they are interested enough to play football, & not the rubbish on show at present. have they no pride !!!!!!!!

Just watched the TV highlights and yes we were very poor. I feel sorry for the fans who travelled north and had to endure that torture. Hopefully everyone arrived home safely. I've heard Mark McGhee speak a few times now and he won't tolerate players not performing consistently. Maybe not the type of manager to shout and roar but he'll know who is pulling their weight and who is not. By his own admission he still has a lot of changes to make and hopes to bring in one or two new faces. It seems defence and central midfield have caught his attention.

I'm not sure how much McGhee can achieve right now. The slide started under McCall with a few average players replacing what we had. Baraclough was brought in to re-address things and given enough rope to hang himself financially, which he done in spectacular style. His signings appear to be less than average SPL and below and this is what McGhee (or any appointed manager) would have to work with. I'd reckon McGhee right now just wants to grind out any results he can to stay in an acceptable 'starting point ' come January. Where by then he hopefully can send some of the loans home and bring some capable players to get us out of trouble (probably just and no more by the way things are going).

You never know, some of the people that come in may be German. :-)

We're now in a worse league position than when McGhee took over. Coincidence? The goals against column is now getting worse conceding 3 goals in 2 consecutive games after innitially keeping it tight. Something we hadn't previously done this season. There certainly hasn't been any "new manager bounce"!

We simply can't underestimate how much trouble we are in and how bleak the future looks. We have a manager of nothing of note since 2007/2008, a squad of players who are either past it, not interested or miles out their depth and a board that saw fit to releases funds in the summer to sign a 6th striker and a 3rd goalkeeper!!

• Like 1

Whatever he does, January is the time to do it. The current squad aren't cutting the mustard so some change is required and that should involve new personnel within the squad. Taylor Grimshaw and Ripley, being on loan, are easy to get shot of. Are any of them worth keeping? If McGhee can get more out of McManus, Lasley, Hammell, Pearson and McDonald then we well on the way, but it would be optimistic in the extreme that he will be able to rejuvenate all five of them. Whether it be age or attitude, there is currently something lacking in all of them. I also think that in the likes of Ainsworth, Johnson, Moult, Kennedy, Laing and even Samson, there are players of SPL quality who should be doing more

Samson cannot do more if he's not first pick so feel its harsh on him to suggest otherwise Unless you mean should Ripley move on in January

Thistle and Utd in particular.

We absolutely cannot lose either of those games.

We have been like a wounded animal since McCalls final season in charge. In hindsight, Baraclough’s appointment was like sticking an elastoplast on a severed leg. It’s still early, however, it is looking like McGhee will also struggle to stem the flow of blood that has been pishing out of us since McCall’s departure. Eventually, the teams around us will start to smell blood and at this present time I have no faith in the players at McGhee’s disposal. We are fortunate that Mixu appears to be having a similar problem at United and ultimately it will come down to which manager can stem the flow first.

We have been like a wounded animal since McCalls final season in charge. In hindsight, Baracloughs appointment was like sticking an elastoplast on a severed leg. Its still early, however, it is looking like McGhee will also struggle to stem the flow of blood that has been pishing out of us since McCalls departure. Eventually, the teams around us will start to smell blood and at this present time I have no faith in the players at McGhees disposal. We are fortunate that Mixu appears to be having a similar problem at United and ultimately it will come down to which manager can stem the flow first.

I agree with that but we can't finish any lower than 10th as 11th and the play offs will just delay the inevitable, and prolong the agony!

A straight fight with Utd to avoid 12th place will be a bit like the end of Spartacus where you win the fight to the death.....and are then crucified!!

Three months into the season and we're at the bottom end of a very tight pack that starts in 5th and ends in 11th. It isn't going to take a huge momentum swing for us to move away from the bottom. Although yesterday sounds like it was brutal we were a lot of players down. Hard game next week but one we shouldn't be scared of.

I wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on performance and I'd certainly agree the team selection looked a recipe for disaster the minute but I'd say there's argument that Dingwall was McGhee's first real "costly" mistake if you want to call it that.

Celtic was awful yet we only lost 1-0. You can make a case that a bit more ambition might have eeked out a point but better Motherwell teams than this have been cut to ribbons and recorded far worse outcomes than that against them. Most expected we'd lose and we lost, probably by less than anticipated.

Aberdeen was an excellent point and could even have been three. The organisation and shape that people were looking for was there for all to see. Definite progress.

Kilmarnock for me stole all three but a point would have been viewed as a decent return against a team on a fair bit of form. And that hard-to-beat quality that was again visible.

Inverness. The freak re-take of a dodgy penalty and deflected second gave us a hill climb up we found too tough. But performance wise not the worst and certainly better than many over the last 18 months even if the result wasn't ideal.

And then yesterday with three of the four most experienced members of the squad absent, succumbing to defeat at a venue where pretty much everyone else has over the last year and a bit.

It's early days. He has a limited squad to work with. Has he got things right so far? For me clearly. Has he got things wrong so far? Equally clear that he has. I have no idea whether he'll ultimately come good or not but a month or so I've seen enough to hint at the potential for enough progress to be made over the course of the season to keep us clear.

• Like 1

The slide started under McCall with a few average players replacing what we had. Baraclough..... signings appear to be less than average SPL and below and this is what McGhee (or any appointed manager) would have to work with. I'd reckon McGhee right now just wants to grind out any results he can to stay in an acceptable 'starting point ' come January. Where by then he hopefully can send some of the loans home and bring some capable players to get us out of trouble (probably just and no more by the way things are going).

Some truth in that. Over the past two weeks especially, injuries and suspensions have taken their toll. Big Mick isn't exactly playing the best footie if his career but MMcG said on Monday his experience would be missed yesterday and that we are light in central defence. A shocking refereeing decision in the Inverness game caused us problems yesterday.

Until January, the bossman has to get the best from what he has and change the style of play to suit the players. Some players may find themselves out of favour and others may get their chance. In January he'll need to wheel and deal and it seems defence and central midfield will be his priorities. This season results will be important as will getting a bit of luck. From TV highlights yesterday it seems to me that County's penalty was very soft - maybe those who were at Dingwall could verify this? Taken together with the penalty decision last week they have made the difference between 10th and 11th places. We can't rely on good luck though.

Samson cannot do more if he's not first pick so feel its harsh on him to suggest otherwise Unless you mean should Ripley move on in January

Sorry, Samson has not played so, you are correct, cannot doors. I included him in this group because of my perception of his abilities, rather than any comment on performances I have imagined. If Ripley does goin January, we probably do not need an immediate replacement because weave anSPL standard goalie on our books already.

Can't believe that people still think McGhee will get us out of this. Clueless morons

thats the wrong attitude to have he's the gaffer he's dealing with a less than standard team give him the january transfer then feb then say what you will and were a small support n need to split it with calling your fellow fans clueless morons

Some truth in that. Over the past two weeks especially, injuries and suspensions have taken their toll. Big Mick isn't exactly playing the best footie if his career but MMcG said on Monday his experience would be missed yesterday and that we are light in central defence. A shocking refereeing decision in the Inverness game caused us problems yesterday.

Until January, the bossman has to get the best from what he has and change the style of play to suit the players. Some players may find themselves out of favour and others may get their chance. In January he'll need to wheel and deal and it seems defence and central midfield will be his priorities. This season results will be important as will getting a bit of luck. From TV highlights yesterday it seems to me that County's penalty was very soft - maybe those who were at Dingwall could verify this? Taken together with the penalty decision last week they have made the difference between 10th and 11th places. We can't rely on good luck though.

It was a stonewall pen Dave, right in front of us county player was looking for it but Kennedy got wrong side and dived in ref had no choice

From experience, the tag "clueless moron" is one more often used by characters befitting that title as opposed to their intended targets.

I agree with much of what's been said with regards the beginning of our downward trajectory and the poor standard of footballer within the present Motherwell squad.

As a "clueless moron" I cannot see how any of the blame for this predicament in which we find ourselves can be laid at McGhees door. Probably the present boards greatest crime was signing 'gamble' players on long term contracts and blindly trusting Baracloughs judgement on transfer targets.

I sincerely hope, that during McGhees visit to Les' tropical tax haven paradise, they did lots of risk assessing and that he managed to convince our 'benefactor' to release funds for January and allow paying off some contracts early that will free some wages for players of McGhees choosing.

Which is the greater risk? Plough on with players who can't or won't make the grade and face a bludgeonous relegation struggle meaning ever decreasing gates, relegation and the potential financial ruin of the club or take the hefty financial hit mid season, cut your losses and get people in who can do the job.

By Christ it's worked for Ross County!!!!

Of course, many will say that McGhee cannot be trusted with the responsibility of signing the right players but like or not, he's the man in charge such matters and we'll just have to live with it cos as my dear old departed faither used to say "you can only pee wi the cock you've got!"

• Like 1

I don't know if McGhee will get us out of this but I'm prepared to support him until such time as I can make a reasonable judgment.

31 defeats in 53 league matches since the beginning of season 2014/15. McGhee is responsible for 3 of those to give it some perspective.

I don't know if McGhee will get us out of this but I'm prepared to support him until such time as I can make a reasonable judgment.

Even Sir Alex would struggle to get us out of this current slump. Unless we make changes to the player personnel, or by some miracle McGhee turns this squad around, we are heading for at least another play-off. I sometimes wonder in the long term if a spell in the lower divisions might just do us some good, by forcing us to bring through more young talent. Either way, it’s only November and I am already expecting us to be in a play-off with either Hibs or Rangers.

Even Sir Alex would struggle to get us out of this current slump. Unless we make changes to the player personnel, or by some miracle McGhee turns this squad

around, we are heading for at least another play-off. I sometimes wonder in the long term if a spell in the lower divisions might just do us some good, by forcing us to bring through more young talent. Either way, its only November and I am already expecting us to be in a play-off with either Hibs or Rangers.

Dont think its crisis time yet looking at the league table 2 or 3 wins and we could be in 5th place. But we have to get a bit of momentum going, McGhee inherited some crap but we have the basis of a squad capable of getting us up the table and away from the relegation fight. We need to get rid of some of the crap so the January window will be important if we get a few players in for key positions we will be ok

McGhee, stated injuries forced him to go with two wingers.

few queries from that:

1. He woud have rather have had an extra player in the middle, than one on the wing
  2. he didnt see the other midfielders he had available.
  3. or he would rather ignore selecting any of our youth, than setup his preferable formation
  4. he changed his tune after a beating, instead of admitting he got it wrong

I absolutely agree that the players that McGhee has at his disposal are, on the whole, absolute fucking shite, but having said that I don't think he has used them as well as he could have. For one, Jake Taylor shouldn't be allowed back near Fir Park ever again, and sadly I'm reaching the same conclusion about Chalmers. As for the rest, there is a good few that will have to do in the meantime but would like to see replaced ASAP. Central midfielder and a fullback (ideally 2 of each!) and a goalie in January as an absolute minimum if we want to stay in the top flight.