Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Motherwell V Cove Rangers Sat 9 Jan 15:00

gdalli10

It's a long time since we've seen such a clinical professional performance playing some excellent football. My only small criticism is our defending at set pieces. Notwithstanding having everyone back in the box and sometimes having a numerical advantage of 11-7 we still at times contrived to allow an opposition player to win the ball unchallenged.

Positive substitutions and it was good to see McFadden and Thomas on and the link up with McDonald who once again put an excellent shift in.

• Like 1

Positive substitutions and it was good to see McFadden and Thomas on and the link up with McDonald who once again put an excellent shift in.

Thought Dom Thomas was poor. I'm not ready to write him off just yet but he kills our counter attacks stone dead with his lack of pace. We are a far better team with Johnson as an out ball.

It was so obvious the instruction was to get faddy a goal on his farewell. It actually became a pantomime when he came on.

Still a professional job done and we are in the next round.

Thought Dom Thomas was poor. I'm not ready to write him off just yet but he kills our counter attacks stone dead with his lack of pace. We are a far better team with Johnson as an out ball.

It was so obvious the instruction was to get faddy a goal on his farewell. It actually became a pantomime when he came on.

Still a professional job done and we are in the next round.

Disagree he was poor. But it does become a different game tactically when you have Thomas and Faddy on. Became much more about quick touch and move rather than feed it out wide, run and cross.

Pretty much a formality after first couple of goals but enjoyed all the same. Agree with the Faddy goal setup panto stuff, first time I've ever seen Skippy try to set someone else up when it'd be easier to score but , hey, canny begrudge a wee bit of sentimentality for a Well legend. Some nice footwork and setup stuff from yer man, for me Pearo was the highlight. Onwards and upwards

Credit to McGhee going with his strongest team. And he was rewarded with the job being done in 6 minutes. As has been mentioned, it could have been 8 or 9 if we weren't obsessed with teeing up Faddy.

Only disappointment of the day was Dom Thomas not making the most of a rare opportunity. All the skill in the world but he done little to suggest McGhee could trust him in a premier league game.

So not the disgrace our old pal MJC is describing it as over on P&B?

If MJC is an old guy then he was sat behind me.

The usual moaner kermit the frog behind me was joined by his mate who apparently sits further up the east stand. The second half was non stop pish, moan after moan after moan. Hard to imagine we were 5-0 up at the time! Right, we get it, you don't like Lionel. Jesus.............

• Like 1

Thoroughly professional performance. Very welcome after a string of poor cup performances. Some really good passing football at times, although tried to be too intricate at times in the 2nd half when a simple ball or shot would have resulted in more goals. Cove werent as good as I thought they might be but they never gave up all the way to the end.

Nice away tie to somewhere off the beaten track please.

It's a long time since we've seen such a clinical professional performance playing some excellent football. My only small criticism is our defending at set pieces. Notwithstanding having everyone back in the box and sometimes having a numerical advantage of 11-7 we still at times contrived to allow an opposition player to win the ball unchallenged.

A good summing up as we said at the time. The game was won early on and we motored through the remainder of the 90 minutes. We did ease up a bit in the second half especially after Pearson was retired. Overall I'm happy with the result and performance.

• Like 1

It was pretty much everything I'd hoped for when the draw was made.

A chance to play against a "fresh" opponent, a good win to see us in to the next round and some good interaction with the visiting support that has seen our club come out of with it looking really good and with their reputation enhanced. All good.

The perfect start. There was no messing about, we took the game to them at pace and they were 2-0 down before they even had a chance to settle and think about a giant killing. To Cove's credit once they settled they looked half decent in spells. Not afraid to shoot and one or two or of their team looked impressive on the ball.

Our fourth was particularly good, ok you can argue it was "only" a Highland League side but cutting edge counter-attacking football at its best.

I must confess to being a little disappointed we didn't put further gloss on the scoreline being five up with around half an hour left but then I've always been greedy! On another day we could have added another two or three but it wasn't to be.

I've been pleased to read of how the Cove fans have enjoyed their trip. A good number of them and they appear delighted at how they were welcomed both by the club and 'Well fans.

And then there was Faddy's third debut too!

All good!

Despite pre match fears the pitch looked to be in relatively good condition and that's down to the efforts of our groundstaff - well done to them. Picking up on previous comments on Dom Thomas - he showed some very deft footwork and played well in flashes but on the whole made little actual impact on the game. As a few of us and MMcG have said he really needs to improve his final ball. A spell out on loan might help his development. Undoubtedly he's very talented but that skill needs to be more focused.

I thought we were very good yesterday and could have upped a gear at any time. it did become a bit like a training match toward the end.

I was Law's biggest critic this season but i thought he has come onto a game and was excellent yesterday.

McDonald looks like a different man to the one that started the season, he ran himself into the ground and its great to see.

COYW!!!!!!