Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Motherwell V Cove Rangers Sat 9 Jan 15:00

gdalli10

We struggled to get home from Inverurie to Banchory after the game as it was a blizzard. My wife came and picked us up and it took almost 2 hours for a 30min drive. Freezing cold at the game but was able to have a few drinks in the ground watching the game amongst the Inverurie fans. They don't make football like that anymore!!!

What do we know about Cove Rangers then?

cove%20rangers%20team.jpg

Watt, Park, Yule and Milne scored their four today in the replay , Nicol scored their goal in the first tie

Blair Yule and Daryl Nicol are their best players. The rest are experienced and rugged/solid players. Nicol is 23/24 and has something like 26 goals this season,he is moving to Australia so may be away by time we play. Yule is a very good young player,22 and a right back or central midfielder for the most part.

Take them seriously and do our job as professionals and we will win by 3 or more, but this is a potential Albion Rovers type banana skin. They are flying in the Highland League way abead of Brora,Turriff,Nairn & Formartine who have all spent a lot of cash on their squads

• Like 1

I doubt this will ever be beaten...

Inverness Thistle v Falkirk, January 1979, Scottish Cup, match postponed

Reason: Ongoing inclement weather

Outcome: Match eventually played at 30th attempt, Falkirk won 4-0.

Remember it well. Freezing conditions up there all month. Got the stage where the match was being rescheduled every morning for the following day until the "thaw" set in. I think even when they played it there were concerns about exposure.

Remember it well. Freezing conditions up there all month. Got the stage where the match was being rescheduled every morning for the following day until the "thaw" set in. I think even when they played it there were concerns about exposure.

Shouldn't have been flashing, the dirty sods lol

Blair Yule and Daryl Nicol are their best players. The rest are experienced and rugged/solid players....

Thanks Shaka, I'll be looking out for them over the next four or five weeks.

much more interesting than anything in the league, after all these groundhog days

Blair Yule and Daryl Nicol are their best players. The rest are experienced and rugged/solid players. Nicol is 23/24 and has something like 26 goals this season,he is moving to Australia so may be away by time we play. Yule is a very good young player,22 and a right back or central midfielder for the most part.

Take them seriously and do our job as professionals and we will win by 3 or more, but this is a potential Albion Rovers type banana skin. They are flying in the Highland League way abead of Brora,Turriff,Nairn & Formartine who have all spent a lot of cash on their squads

Is that the same Roy McBain that was at Inverness? Must be some age!

• 3 weeks later...

I've said it before that whilst there are still people around the club who were here when the Albion Rovers debacle took place that ***should*** be painful enough for them to ensure there isn't a repeat of something similar any time soon. But then you need only think back to East Fife so there are no guarantees!

But there should be no excuses for not doing the job professionally on Saturday.

Cove have played (and indeed are playing this very afternoon) when we've had games off and on different days from when we've been playing recently so there has been the opportunity there for the manager, his assistant or whoever in his coaching/scouting team to have them checked out.

They have a smattering of players with SPFL experience, one or two with promise who will be out to showcase their talent and with their recent successes have a confident, winning mentality so there is the potential for awkwardness....but...we have a team that's in pretty good form ourselves who have got into a very good habit recently of finding the net at least a couple of times each game. And of course we're at home. I would be disappointed if we didn't win by three or four.

It's a tie I'm looking forward to. Always great to to get something fresh in the Cup - a team you've never or rarely faced. A new ground to tick off. Something like that so getting Cove was great. It'll be good to see how many they bring down (also be interesting to see how many of our fans come back at £12 after yesterday being half decent) see what standard they are but ultimately I'm hoping for a smooth passage into the next round.

Id like to think that with our decent form and a sensible pricing structure we could get a good crowd for this. We used to always get good crowds for the Scottish Cup 3rd round (in old money) and with it being put back to its traditional place at beginning of January Im really looking forward to this. Love to see Faddy getting a wee cameo too.

3 zip and nice and easily through to the next round. Rest a few players and give some of the fringe players a game.

Never liked that tactic of resting players just because its a lower or non league team. Get the 1st choice team out and get right into them and score a few goals. when we are 4 or 5 up then bring on some of the fringe players.

• Like 2

Never liked that tactic of resting players just because its a lower or non league team. Get the 1st choice team out and get right into them and score a few goals. when we are 4 or 5 up then bring on some of the fringe players.

Absolutely Allan. Some young players, maybe Faddy, on the bench to bring on once the business has been done. Maybe five from from Samson, Watt, Laing, Thomas, Cadden, Fletcher, Mackin and Faddy.