Scottish Cup - Fourth Round Motherwell V Cove Rangers Sat 9 Jan 15:00

gdalli10

The real concern would be Cove travelling down. If it's not safe for them, then the game may be off...

This will be down to the Police. I don't know if Police Scotland is more consistent in its "advice" than the previous regional forces were. In the recent past some forces ie Strathclyde took into account the state of car parks whilst others seemed to ignore them. A few years ago I recall a midweek cup game at Inverness which involved travelling in shocking conditions - freezing fog. The car park at the ground was in horrific condition - we had to wade ankle deep through slush, ice and puddles to gain access to the stadium. The Highland Police weren't concerned in the least. To cap it all we played rubbish and got beaten 2-0.

Updates and photos on 'fishel Twitter and from Flow since last night. Pitch was being cleared until late last night, undersoil heating's been on since Thursday, not covered (because apparently that's not what you do for snow), clearing last of crusted snow this morning, volunteers helping to clear surrounding areas.

Motherwell Twitter has just posted some pictures under soil hearing is doing its job and melting the snow. Pitch should be fine providing no serious snow/rain prior to kick off.

However, they've asked for any volunteers willing to go down to help clear the car park, stairs, surrounding areas etc.

If the game is any doubt it'll likely be for the areas around the stadium, not the pitch itself.

If the game is any doubt it'll likely be for the areas around the stadium, not the pitch itself.

You're very likely right but it really is a ludicrous situation isn't it. If areas around a football stadium are tricky then the game may be postponed but if they are tricky around a pub, club or swimming pool then they don't have to close. You'd have thought that the first places closed by Police would be pubs/clubs given that some punters would be unsteady on their feet even in dry conditions!

• Like 1

I live 30 minutes away and have not seen one flake of snow, the game would only be in doubt if there was 2 feet of snow on the surrounding streets, I haven't seen any pictures to suggest there is anything other than a light dusting.

The issue may be ice but get a bit of grit down and everything will be fine.

I read a post last night saying there was 1-2 inches near Fir Park.

The snow seems very localised. I live in Glasgow but went out to Hamilton last night. The first I saw of snow was when I got onto the M74. Hamilton had a reasonable covering and I heard reports of buses getting stuck but there hasn't been any sign of snow in Glasgow (much to my kids' disgust).

You're very likely right but it really is a ludicrous situation isn't it. If areas around a football stadium are tricky then the game may be postponed but if they are tricky around a pub, club or swimming pool then they don't have to close. You'd have thought that the first places closed by Police would be pubs/clubs given that some punters would be unsteady on their feet even in dry conditions!

Totally agree, it's absolutely ludicrous! There'll be plenty more people visiting Buchanan Galleries today and pub & clubs all over the country tonight than there'll be at Fir Park but for some reason football fans can't be trusted not to fall over?!

I read a post last night saying there was 1-2 inches near Fir Park.

The snow seems very localised. I live in Glasgow but went out to Hamilton last night. The first I saw of snow was when I got onto the M74. Hamilton had a reasonable covering and I heard reports of buses getting stuck but there hasn't been any sign of snow in Glasgow (much to my kids' disgust).

Yeah I think it is very localised and to do a lot with the elevation of where you are. Just a small covering in Uddingston but up the road in Blackwood near Lesmahagow a couple of inches at my parents. Some rain forecast which could help melt some snow on the ground but hopefully not tip a wet park over the edge!

Yeah I think it is very localised and to do a lot with the elevation of where you are. Just a small covering in Uddingston but up the road in Blackwood near Lesmahagow a couple of inches at my parents. Some rain forecast which could help melt some snow on the ground but hopefully not tip a wet park over the edge!

Glasgow 0 feet, Motherwell 250 feet, Newarthill 500 feet, Shotts 700 feet. That's your basic elevation guide!