Partick Thistle V Motherwell Tue 2 Feb 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Don't know if I prefer Johnson through the middle or at left back!!!

Anyway, both teams were awful but as usual we seem capable of losing a match in situations like these. There was hardly any football played and it was summed up at the end with Pearson hoofing the ball anywhere, ball being launched back in and McManus heading it straight back to Thistle who then hit a shot to score via a slight deflection.

Worrying times again.

Everything about that was absolutely shite. Every player on the park, both manager's 'tactics', all of the substitutions, the weather, the park, the temperature, the slum-like bogs in Firhill, the ugly, ugly inhabitants of Maryhill and the fact that I was too late to get a pint before the game.

Even more annoying that Lawless was utterly dross for the full game and then scored a pish deflection. Thought Gomis was murder when he came on myself.

Close this thread.

• Like 1

It's fine margins again isn't it?

Didn't deserve to win. Certainly didn't deserve to lose.

A bit of discussion about culpability for the goal but in my mind's eye (which may well be miles out!) it goes right back to a panicky hurried clearance from an experienced campaigner that should know better (Pearo) that gave Thistle really cheap possession from which they were able to mount the attack they scored from.

I don't really see a great comparison at this stage of last season in all honesty. We''ve not been startling since the turn of the year by any manner of means but the performance levels are still way above where we after the first month of last 2015. It's a time for cool heads and a positive result (whoever it comes again) I believe will do wonders for the players confidence and help us get back on track.

I sense some masks are slipping when it comes to McGhee though. I see it a little damned if you do, damned if you don't. A manager makes a like-for-like change and he'll be accused of lacking a Plan B. A manager mixes it up a tight game with an unexpected switch and he's accused of being mad for deviating from the tried and tested. A little bit like Barraclough getting bitten when he allowed Ripley to go up for that corner against United early in the season. You know don't I mind a little bit of ambition or something a wee bit off the wall now and again in an attempt to flumox the opposition. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

That said whilst not against his idea of mixing it up a little in the midfield, the choice of Johnson to partner McDonald bombed completely and was very quickly evident it wasn't working and should have been rectified.

Disappointed but still have plenty of faith in the management and team that we'll be able to recapture the form of December sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Poor game. We can't keep a hold of the ball or real get it running apart from a few flurries. But I would say we do seem most likely out the two teams. We had a stick on penalty not given, ref went to blow then changed his mind. McGhee going ape.

Pearson having a particularly poor game.

Pitch is a nick but not cutting up really as ours used to.

I thought the ref was going to blow for a dive by Marv but then he waved on an advantage to Thistle where Pearson subsequently got booked.

I thought the ref was going to blow for a dive by Marv but then he waved on an advantage to Thistle where Pearson subsequently got booked.

Yeah that could be what happened. Would have expected a booking for Marv though. Looked a stick on to me but the manager said otherwise so I guess not.

Just watched the highlights and the conditions were awful.

A draw probably would have been a fair result, but it was a terrible goal to lose. Speculative high ball, weak headed clearance and Ainsworth ball watching on the wrong side of his man.

At the time I said that I thought putting Ainsworth on for Cadden was a poor decision as he had been blocking a lot of moves down that side which Ainsworth wouldn't do.

I took it that he was looking to have a go to try for a late winner. If he's going to have a go at Ainsworth then he needs to shoulder some responsibility for the substitution.

Looking at the admittedly limited tv highlights there was a lot more wrong with our performance than subbing Cadden. Again the full backs and midfield did not appear to be doing their job and allowed Partick players to see the whites of Ripley's eyes much more than they should have done. Partick worked hard off the ball to harry us, and deny us a clear sight of goal and we have to emulate that approach and quick. Hopefully Gomis can come in and solidify a defensively weak central midfield but in my view the full backs remain problematic positions. All that said the winning goal took a shocking deflection but again when you sit back thats just the kind of thing that happens (not forgetting Saturday involved a shocking refereeing decision late on and in our box).

Critics of McGhee don't need to look far at the moment to find evidence that he was a poor appointment.

We can't see out games we are winning and we can't grind out a draw in other games. Probably every other team in the bottom 6 can do the above with the exception of Utd (who have another notch in their belt that we don't have in that they have at least absolutely hammered a team this season!)

McGhees substitutions are atrocious and do nothing to contribute positively to the team.

Last nights subs were no different. Gomis for Moult moving Marv up front?!?! Really?!?!

Then bringing Ainsworth on in the last few minute when it was clear you were playing for the draw?!?! Ainsworth is the last player we have at our disposal who should be brought on to shore up a midfield!

We are architects of our downfall for sure, but it would have been a routine save by Ripley had it not taken a wicked deflection.

Letting Lawless have the time and space to shoot was bad enough, but again for our chances we are not getting the luck or breaks and generally when it does hit a defender it goes anywhere but to a Motherwell player.

Gutted by the late goal, but probably should have been an away point to add to an away 3 points at the weekend.

Criticise McGhee all you want and there are plenty on here waiting to do just that - probably even happy they have the opportunity !

We are a better side than under Baraclough and even latterly under McCall. Yes McGhee makes mistakes and his subs are at times baffling. If I recall McCall never put on any subs or not until the death. At least McGhee is prepared to try things to win or see out a game. Not working at the moment and he is partially to blame, but so is bad officiating and the rub of the green going against us.

Hopefully we can get a positive result v Caley in the cup and that can start to turn our season around.

• Like 1

We are architects of our downfall for sure, but it would have been a routine save by Ripley had it not taken a wicked deflection.

Letting Lawless have the time and space to shoot was bad enough, but again for our chances we are not getting the luck or breaks and generally when it does hit a defender it goes anywhere but to a Motherwell player.

Gutted by the late goal, but probably should have been an away point to add to an away 3 points at the weekend.

Criticise McGhee all you want and there are plenty on here waiting to do just that - probably even happy they have the opportunity !

We are a better side than under Baraclough and even latterly under McCall. Yes McGhee makes mistakes and his subs are at times baffling. If I recall McCall never put on any subs or not until the death. At least McGhee is prepared to try things to win or see out a game. Not working at the moment and he is partially to blame, but so is bad officiating and the rub of the green going against us.

Hopefully we can get a positive result v Caley in the cup and that can start to turn our season around.

Agree completely, margins are very small. With better refereeing and a bit of luck we should be 4 points better off after 2 tricky away games.

Critics of McGhee don't need to look far at the moment to find evidence that he was a poor appointment.

We can't see out games we are winning and we can't grind out a draw in other games. Probably every other team in the bottom 6 can do the above with the exception of Utd (who have another notch in their belt that we don't have in that they have at least absolutely hammered a team this season!)

McGhees substitutions are atrocious and do nothing to contribute positively to the team.

Last nights subs were no different. Gomis for Moult moving Marv up front?!?! Really?!?!

Then bringing Ainsworth on in the last few minute when it was clear you were playing for the draw?!?! Ainsworth is the last player we have at our disposal who should be brought on to shore up a midfield!

Did we not get a point at Pittodrie scored by one of McGhee's substitutes?

Did we not beat Kilmarnock after Moult came off the bench to net the winner?

It may not be sweetness and light but things are rarely as black you seem to paint them.

• Like 1

I believe it was one idividual, who went along with family members. (saw someone online mention he wasn't with them.)

I wasn't there myself but I am sick of seeing a load of photos of police having to get involved in our own end. It doesn't happen for nothing.

I believe it was one idividual, who went along with family members. (saw someone online mention he wasn't with them.)

I wasn't there myself but I am sick of seeing a load of photos of police having to get involved in our own end. It doesn't happen for nothing.

Wasn't there, so don't know what happened.

Part of me thinks Motherwell fans and specifically "the Bois" have their card marked and are victims of Heavy handed policing (as witnessed at Cappielow).

But then a lot of folk are a bit fed up of it, as they do invite this treatment to an extent and certainly relish the cat and mouse aspect, as well as always pointing the finger at heavy handed policing and rarely if ever accepting any responsibility for the actions (pitch invasion, smoke bomb, etc.) that lead to the police response.

I'd normally stick up for them, but I'm gradually finding it harder to defend them.

Not good management to single out one player. Ainsworth is an all out attacker, and like Sutton before him will switch off in his own box from time to time.

We aint playing that badly, and going by the radio we were the most likely to snatch a winner. But as normal, a nothing shot which for once was closed down, and flukes its way into the net. At the other end there player was in the right place to clear of the line. Fine margins.