League Cup - 2016

Kat

£2million a year, or on average around £50k per club. Not really ground breaking money, but if it is an increase then always welcome.

The group stage is a reasonable idea, though the concept of the the second place in only half of the groups qualifying could be a little unfair as it favours those with a weaker draw. They use this system with European rugby and, in the past, it has always favoured sides who have drawn an Italian side in their group. The bonus point for a penalty shoot out win after a draw is interesting. At least they are trying something a little different. I can vaguely remember them trying playing without offside in a competition, perhaps the League Cup, or maybe the Drybourgh Cup, in the early seventies.

For me, the last League Cup that really worked was the Skol Cup format of ties played midweek with a guaranteed finish on the night, with an Autumn final and a European place for the winner. May have been of its time though, and not likely to happen again soon. A winter break is not a bad idea though you never know when the bad weather is going to hit in Scotland.

They brought the groups back (quite a) few year ago and they didn't work out very well. Too many meaningless games after the half way point and crowds plummeted.

Prior to that, each tie was a 2 legged affair.

I think it was after the groups failed they updated the format to have single leg ties, guaranteed result on the night and winner before Christmas. I liked that approach, but interested to see how the new groups work out.

I think the European place was stopped by UEFA.

Perhaps, but at least they are trying something.

What goes on currently doesn't work, IMO, so may as well give it a go. It's got people talking about the League Cup again, which is a good thing. I'm sure for the first couple of games (as long as it's priced right) people might be enticed along on a nice summer's night to see a competitive game which may have a bonus penalty shoot out at the end of it.

The bonus point idea is a bit naff, and a bit gimmicky for me. However, I won't knock the SPFL for trying something a bit different. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work, and we go back to how it was before.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but at least they are trying something.

What goes on currently doesn't work, IMO, so may as well give it a go. It's got people talking about the League Cup again, which is a good thing. I'm sure for the first couple of games (as long as it's priced right) people might be enticed along on a nice summer's night to see a competitive game which may have a bonus penalty shoot out at the end of it.

The bonus point idea is a bit naff, and a bit gimmicky for me. However, I won't knock the SPFL for trying something a bit different. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work, and we go back to how it was before.

Pretty much nailed my thoughts. The competition has been on its arse for years. They are atleasting trying something to give it a bit more value. Also bringing in a further 7 figure sum through TV exposure.

Agreed with the additional point for a penalty victory. A little bit cringy and waiting for my mates south of the border to see it and give me a bit of stick...

It's the correct tournament to try these things out.

I like the group stage idea. Whether it works or not, we'll see. The timing of it is good thing, IMO. I think you'll find more fans will come through the gates when given the choice of paying £10-£12 for a competitive game against Falkirk/QOS/Morton, or £15 for a friendly against Preston North End or Newcastle Reserves.

Let's give it a go.

Happy with the group stages, always felt reintroducing them could add a bit of interest (and a few extra games if we ever went to a 16/18 team league in the future).

Don't necessarily agree it'll have any big impact on attendances though. I imagine we'll just see another few games with piss-poor crowds, particularly while a lot of folk are still on their holidays. If it's regionalised, playing the same teams every summer is going to get old fairly quickly and if it's not regionalised, away supports could end up being grim.

Bonus point thing is chronic patter though - sounds more like an American game show than a domestic football tournament.

I think you'll find more fans will come through the gates when given the choice of paying £10-£12 for a competitive game against Falkirk/QOS/Morton, or £15 for a friendly against Preston North End or Newcastle Reserves.

Let's give it a go.

This for me. i have stopped going to friendlies completely because it is simply a really boring walk through. These games will be competitive and mean that we manage more than 1 game in the cup.

A chance to play at a few different grounds round the country.

Bonus point thing is chronic patter though - sounds more like an American game show than a domestic football tournament.

Dumbarton Away in the final group game.

Pre-match pints on a nice summer evening.

Thrilling 2-2 draw.

Goes to penalties and Motherwell sneak through 5-4 to get the bonus point we need to qualify from the group.

Through to the heady heights of the Last 16 of the League Cup. Scenes!

• Like 1

I've nothing against bonus points personally, plenty of (non-American) tournaments use them nowadays.

Not sure I particularly like them being awarded for shoot-out wins, though -- in other tournaments they're normally used to reward attacking play, and at least some of the time, a team that wins on penalties has been hanging on for them and didn't really deserve to win at all, let alone an extra point for doing so. But I can see why awarding one for getting a certain number of shots on target in the 90mins or something wouldn't really be practical, even though that would be a better sort of thing to award the points for imho.

Dumbarton Away in the final group game.

Pre-match pints on a nice summer evening.

Thrilling 2-2 draw.

Goes to penalties and Motherwell sneak through 5-4 to get the bonus point we need to qualify from the group.

Through to the heady heights of the Last 16 of the League Cup. Scenes!

Me and you both know that we'd have been back in the Bowling Club midway through the second half regardless of how thrilling the draw was.

• Like 1

I think you'll find more fans will come through the gates when given the choice of paying £10-£12 for a competitive game against Falkirk/QOS/Morton, or £15 for a friendly against Preston North End or Newcastle Reserves.

Teams will still want to play friendlies before entering competitive fixtures where money is at stake. The small clubs will still want to put one over the bigger boys who in turn won't want to be caught cold. It'll probably lead to a shorter close season.

I think it depends on what the point of the change is. Is it part of a more "joined up thinking" approach or is it a purely isolated thing designed to somehow reinvent the League Cup? If it's the latter it's a bit like putting lipstick on a pig and they're kind of overselling the whole bonus point thing.

However if it's being implemented as a small step forward to address some wider issues that are being discussed (Summer football, winter breaks, viability of expanded league structure, match pricing etc) then it's interesting and it's certainly the right tournament to be experimenting with.

I think it will be treaed as a preseason

If that does happen, and a Premiership side finished 3rd in a group full of lower league teams, the fans wouldn't be slow in making their displeasure known. I think that team/those teams would change their tune the following season.

At the end of the day, there is a trophy at the end of the tournament. I'd very much like Motherwell to win it, so would expect us to treat the games seriously, as we would in any early round game of a cup tournament.

While it'll never please everyone, I think people are just moaning for the sake of it.

If that does happen, and a Premiership side finished 3rd in a group full of lower league teams, the fans wouldn't be slow in making their displeasure known. I think that team/those teams would change their tune the following season.

At the end of the day, there is a trophy at the end of the tournament. I'd very much like Motherwell to win it, so would expect us to treat the games seriously, as we would in any early round game of a cup tournament.

While it'll never please everyone, I think people are just moaning for the sake of it.

I just think the bonus points is a bit daft. Depending on how early this starts too. but I don't really have an issue with them revamping things.