Motherwell V St Johnstone Wed 30 Dec 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Not a classic but a good three points, particularly as we didn't play that well.

Negatives. Felt the use of Johnson on the right was a bit of a waste of him for much of the game. He looked better there when we went to 433 at the end of the game. Moult clearly played despite having been ill, and it showed. With Fletcher injured, we really don't have anyone other than Moult to lead the line (that McGhee trusts). If Robinson is out of the picture, and Fletcher isn't going to be fit anytime soon, a backup for Moult may be required. Clarkson has shown recently that he can contribute in cameo performances but at his age, he can't do the running that's required of our number nine over a 90 minutes, the way we're set up to play just now.

Positives. Everyone on the park made a contribution, no real failures. Defence had a couple of dodgy moments but look like they're starting to settle as a unit. And I don't think many midfields will outdo Pearson, Lasley and Grimshaw for workrate. We are creating chances now as well and we could have scored more tonight. Still three wins on the bounce can only breed confidence.

Niggling concern is the fact that McGhee only maybe trusts 12 or 13 of his squad (I remember him making a similar comment last time he was our manager). If someone picks up an injury or suspension, I don't know how we would adjust our style of play...

Great game to win. League very tight now. Looking up not down.

Cliche central.

What has happened to Kennedy? Wasn't even in stand and saw he has been back home for Xmas.

Bit disappointed that Kennedy seems to have been discarded totally. He had a couple of dodgy games but on occasions, he looked like a real prospect. Hall is playing well but have to figure there will come a point (injury or suspension) that we're going to need either Laing or Kennedy...

Thought the scoreline flattered us a bit as I think St. Johnstone probably had more good chances to score. Ripley was excellent tonight and saved three certain goals.

The first 35 minutes or so was pretty poor fair, both teams looked leggy but considering the number of game call offs recently and the fact that training has probably been disrupted by the recent weather maybe that wasn't so surprising.

We got better just before we scored and had St. Johnstone on the ropes for 10 minutes but both our goals were a little bit fortunate.

Second half was better but we didn't really hit the heights of the last few games but still a welcome three points against a decent side, albeit one that lost two of their best players early in the match.

Also have to mention Ben Hall, his goal might have trickled in but his defending was excellent tonight. Would have been my MotM if not for Ripley.

Excellent three points, especially as we didn't play as well as we have been. No failures tonight but special mentions should go to Ripley, MacDonald and Pearson.

At times Crawford Allan seemed to be refereeing a different game to the one I was watching. :fie:

• Like 3

Game was fairly even I thought until they lost Davidson. We then took control and got our goals. Second half they started better but we contained them from about 65 mins fairly well I thought and I didn't really think the result was in doubt.

No real bad performances for me. Ripley excellent in goals and 3 great saves, Hall and Mick excellent, Pearo and Grimshaw the same with Skippy putting in another great performance.

@MelvinBragg - I didn't think Fletcher was injured. Just not selected? Much like Kennedy, Robinson.

We have a fairly large squad so players are going to miss out. I don't think I would have had any of the 3 mentioned above over the bench we had today.

Think Kennedy's absence from the squad must be down to more than form. Strangely, I thought he was establishing himself as one of McGhee's favourites.

Kennedy had two horrendous games on the trot (Ross county and hearts) that's why he's dropped. We have a decent, arguably inflated, squad. We are now in the position whereby shite performances could cost your place in the team along with appearance money which may not be a bad thing. For too long too many at our club have been guaranteed a place in our squad irrespective of performance, If players cannot be motivated, even with financial incentive, to try and get back in the team then they don't deserve to be here. I'm not for a second implying that Kennedy is not willing to try and get his place back but competition can only be seen, in the long term, as a good thing.

Kennedy had two horrendous games on the trot (Ross county and hearts) that's why he's dropped. We have a decent, arguably inflated, squad. We are now in the position whereby shite performances could cost your place in the team along with appearance money which may not be a bad thing. For too long too many at our club have been guaranteed a place in our squad irrespective of performance, If players cannot be motivated, even with financial incentive, to try and get back in the team then they don't deserve to be here. I'm not for a second implying that Kennedy is not willing to try and get his place back but competition can only be seen, in the long term, as a good thing.

But he's not even sitting in the stand with the rest of them as far as I could see.

fletcher, leitch, Robinson, twardzik etc all there

Something worth pointing out from time to time. Josh Law is turning into a pretty solid right back. He'll never feature in MOTM polls but puts a shift in every week and seldom lets the side down.

Was watching the game tonight thinking "When did Josh Law last have a bad game for Motherwell?". And struggled to find an answer...

• Like 3

Could have easily been 1-1 but was 2-0 in a minute. Sometime u need the breaks.

It was the same story with one of McCall's last games in charge, also against St Johnstone. We should've equalised and 1 minute later we were 2-0 down (I think). Glad that went our way tonight.

Also special mention to the St Johnstone keeper for dancing about at Pearson's goal. I mean how does he not save that?!

Also special mention to the St Johnstone keeper for dancing about at Pearson's goal. I mean how does he not save that?!

Not to mention the ball going past Anderson about a foot or so away, could have made an attempt to clear it lol not complaining like, hard fought victory, hopefully keep the momentum going. Good to hear about Ripley signing until the end of the season, some fantastic stops the night.

Have to say I think we deserved to win however we needed some luck and our keeper.

Not sure we had much luck. Yes Saints lost 2 influential players but the ref gave them more than than their fair share of 50/50 decisions and they got the break of the ball more often than not. They could easily have finished the game with 9 players.