Motherwell V Hamilton Sat 2 Jan 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I had this conversation with someone the other day. I think there is definitely something in this, added to the fact that no matter how often they finish ahead of us we'll always be seen as the big team in Lanarkshire, gives them some sort of underdog mentality that seems to fire them up maybe more than our players (and fans, frankly). It's their big game, it's not ours...

On balance I agree, but what I don't get is why this "Accies mentality" has gone on for decades. Numerous managers and players have come and gone for them but they still seemed fired up i games against us - in many cases involving personnel with no knowledge of the history of the fixture.

On balance I agree, but what I don't get is why this "Accies mentality" has gone on for decades. Numerous managers and players have come and gone for them but they still seemed fired up i games against us - in many cases involving personnel with no knowledge of the history of the fixture.

As I hinted at there, Dave, I think it reflects fans' attitudes. An Accies fan at my work always seems to know how we're getting on whereas often I couldn't tell you how they're doing...

I grew up and Hamilton and haves lot of Accies supporting mates. Apart from last season, we always finished in a higher league position (or higher league!) than them. The derby matches were always their way of getting bragging rights regardless of the final league stats.

The slaggings would last for weeks afterwards, so always happy to beat them any way we can. In the grand scheme of things, however, we have never really been significant rivals, which is why I think our players and fans have more emotions invested in beating a team like Hearts.

I am just hoping for some points from todays game

I would like a win and clean sheet but that's down to the team

so fingers crossed they had a dry new year and did eat too many chocolates

I am also hoping Faddy get at least 45 minutes today if not a start but that's down to McGhee and he signed him so I am hoping he puts the Well's money to good use

I am also hoping Faddy get at least 45 minutes today if not a start but that's down to McGhee and he signed him so I am hoping he puts the Well's money to good use

In terms of Faddy, money is not an issue, and that speaks volumes for the man himself and his connection to the club.

• Like 1

I am also hoping Faddy get at least 45 minutes today if not a start

I would be happy if Faddy never made the team, as that would more than likely mean that we are still winning. He’s a great player to have around the club, however, in football there is no place for sentiment.

I would be happy if Faddy never made the team, as that would more than likely mean that we are still winning.

I'd have thought he'd be more likely to make an appearance if we're 3-0 up and cruising than if we're scrapping for a late equaliser.

Really frustrating end to the game. Purely by the MFC commentary the penalty sounded like a poor decision (one of many) but will wait and see the TV highlights.

Trying to keep it on a positive note, that's 5 unbeaten now, 15 points clear of Dundee Utd in 12th and we still have a couple of games in hand over those around us.

Probably deserved to win, feels like a loss but ultimately we have lost the lead twice at home to a team that wasn't in great form before today.

First half we started strongly and deservedly took the lead but after the goal we seemed to grow a little too confident, as if the game was already won at 1-0. Accies scored a goal from a set piece and suddenly found a lot of confidence from coming back. After that they started to boss us in midfield in a way that has been unfortunately a bit familiar to us in recent times.

We got the ideal start to the 2nd half and should have scored before Moult put us back in the lead. As the game came to an end we started doing what we always seem to do and sit back deeper and deeper with the inevitable result. Accies started bullying us in midfield again, pushed the play into our half and started causing us problems. It was frustrating to see as we should have made them pay on the counter attack a few times and every time we took the wrong option or just tried to waste time. I am very against time wasting as I think it makes players concentration go and that was evident to see. We looked shaky for most of the final minutes and Accies went close before the got the penalty. I didn't see anything but going by the reaction of the players it looks like maybe we don't have much to complain about.

Today we were good in patches but it also showed that or confidence level can be a little too high at times and also drop off, all in the same game. We need to concentrate and try as much as possible to get a consistency to our performances and remember that although we are much improved you won't get results unless you keep the work rate and concentration going for 90 minutes.