Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

its a poor show that ainsworth has been singled out for blame especially when mcghee didn't have the balls too come out and say he fucked up big time with his team selection at tynecastle.we clearly had problems in the dressing room towards the end of barralough's time i just hope were not looking at a similar scenario here as that's the last thing were needing.

Having not seen the game or watched the highlights yet I'm not sure how at fault ainsworth was, but to single one player out for criticism in the press and then send him out to do media duties doesn't seem right to me.

I'm sure it's discussed in every dressing room up and down the country how goals are lost and who is at fault but for me it should stay in the dressing room.

The only reason I can see for McGhee doing this is if Ainsworth is the type of player to be motivated by criticism and he'll aim to prove everyone wrong and get the managers trust back. If he's not, and is one of those guys that will lose confidence and go into his shell, then it seems a very odd thing to do. Hopefully McGhee is a good judge of character/personality and has made the right decision!

Just watched the goal and its buildup again and our "senior defenders" had two opportunities to clear lines

Firstly Hammell boots ball up to centre spot rather than putting it out of play for a throw.

Second and more unforgivable is McManus's woeful attemp at headin the ball clear' might have been better if he'd tried to blow it clear given all the wind he seams to have it might have travelled further, thereby giving Ainsworth the opportunity to run at Thistle.

In addition law halfheartedly attemps to block allowing the deflection (either be brave and block it or don't try)

Greeting sick of the way this club is being managed from the top downwards.

We have a team capable of winning matches when we play to our strengths rather than loosing because we have to defend in depth (managers work ethic everyone behind the ball) which only works when you have good defenders which we clearly do not have. Lost count of the number of opposition attacks where their full backs are able to attack because we have to have everyone behind the ball given Johnston, Moult and Ainsworth's pace.

It would be interesting to know which senior players had a go considering most of them have blew hot and cold all season and are all culpable for finding ourselves in this dogfight.

Singling one player out for a succession of errors from many fucking stinks.

I don't understand the scapegoat accusation. He has admitted himself he was at fault. Blaming Macmanus for a poor header or even Pearson for a rushed clearance appears to be more about deflecting blame away from ainsworth, a fan favourite, who has been a real disappointment all season.

It's clear from from Mcghee's previous interviews he rates ainsworth very highly but has been made plenty of promises which have never materialised on the pitch. This is obviously a last resort.

• Like 1

Ainsworth has been poor by his standards this season but he was only just on the park the others were on the whole game allegedly, at least they made up the numbers of nothing else. The game was crap two evenly matched teams, one whose central defenders won every header something we can't do.

I don't understand the scapegoat accusation. He has admitted himself he was at fault. Blaming Macmanus for a poor header or even Pearson for a rushed clearance appears to be more about deflecting blame away from ainsworth, a fan favourite, who has been a real disappointment all season.

It's clear from from Mcghee's previous interviews he rates ainsworth very highly but has been made plenty of promises which have never materialised on the pitch. This is obviously a last resort.

Was just going to say this. He wasn't really out and out blamed by name. Ainsworth just said an awful lot in three press conference.

Folk get shouted at in dressing rooms all the time. You just don't usually hear a player taking about it.

References to Ainsworth having a poor season, he hasn't really been given much of a chance since McGhee has arrived has he? Meanwhile Marvin gets 90 minutes every week despite having similar flaws in his game to Ainsworth.

It's worth bearing in mind we wouldn't have got the memorable win at Parkhead without him, not to mention he's proven to contribute 20 goals a season if he gets ample opportunity.

Hope he gets the chance to get it right up McGhee on Saturday.

References to Ainsworth having a poor season, he hasn't really been given much of a chance since McGhee has arrived has he? Meanwhile Marvin gets 90 minutes every week despite having similar flaws in his game to Ainsworth.

It's worth bearing in mind we wouldn't have got the memorable win at Parkhead without him, not to mention he's proven to contribute 20 goals a season if he gets ample opportunity.

Hope he gets the chance to get it right up McGhee on Saturday.

I think you can also put Faddy in that category, the reason these teams are beating us is that they play as a team and the defenders are willing to put there self in front of anything that's coming their way. As far as the senior players are concerned none can say they've had a good season,

McManus :constantly gives the person he's marking yards of space so they can gather the ball and turn.

Hammell best left back we've got by a country mile but passing some times suspect.

Pearson genuine box to box player who recently seems disinterested with the role he has been given,

Lasley 100% guy who's main fault is trying to hard stick to your own job and do it well.

Skippy dreadful start to the season but back to being integral in the team (match fitness has now been attained)

Lionel may have been guilty of a bit of ball watching for the goal, but he wasn't the only one, and the guy had only been on the park a minute or so. No defence I know, but the team had failed to really create or test Thistle most of the game. While Ainsworth should take his share of the blame, I haven't seen much mention of his run a minute or so later cutting through a good few Thistle defenders and squaring the ball into the box. A big big chance our senior players couldn't finish off. At the end of the day, you generally know what you are getting with him. He's the creative guy who can turn or win the game. Putting him on at that stage, you have got to be prepared for the gaps at the back it will leave.

When he came off the bench against County, first corner he took we scored from it. No-one wheeled him out in front of the press that day.

• Like 2

There isn't one of the senior players who shouldn't be thinking they need to do more so the idea of them all piling onto a guy who was the park for five minutes is a joke.

McGhee sending him out to the press to cough up to the defeat when he himself avoids any and all blame just confirms what we've known for years about his character.

• Like 3

I watched the highlights and i am sorry but if Ainsworth had been a bit more forceful with his tackle and launched the ball into the stand then they would not have scored. Yes there were defensive error in the lead up play but Ainsworth was ball watching never got on terms with Lawless and stuck a leg in hoping for the best when if he had been tracking properly he might have made a decent tackle. So yes i think he was at fault for the goal and i have no problems about McGhee naming and shaming him, if it drives him on to try harder next game then it was worth it.

I watched the highlights and i am sorry but if Ainsworth had been a bit more forceful with his tackle and launched the ball into the stand then they would not have scored. Yes there were defensive error in the lead up play but Ainsworth was ball watching never got on terms with Lawless and stuck a leg in hoping for the best when if he had been tracking properly he might have made a decent tackle. So yes i think he was at fault for the goal and i have no problems about McGhee naming and shaming him, if it drives him on to try harder next game then it was worth it.

You'll have also seen McManus didn't cover himself in glory with his clearing header or Pearson - in space, time to control & make a better decision & perhaps try and find one of our men or take responsibility by bringing it out himself. Instead he blindly launched it straight to one of the opposition. 2 to 3 touches later we were beat... That's your 'senior players' for you. Trying to give McGhoo the benefit of the doubt this time round & he's went and made one of our player's cry - shite state of affairs.

You'll have also seen McManus didn't cover himself in glory with his clearing header or Pearson - in space, time to control & make a better decision & perhaps try and find one of our men or take responsibility by bringing it out himself. Instead he blindly launched it straight to one of the opposition. 2 to 3 touches later we were beat... That's your 'senior players' for you. Trying to give McGhoo the benefit of the doubt this time round & he's went and made one of our player's cry - shite state of affairs.

As i said defensive errors were made by a few in the lead up to the goal but if Ainsworth had tracked his man and tackled properly Lawless would not have scored. Also i dont think for a minute that McGhee guessed that Ainsworth would go all girly and start greetin, he should have manned up in the interview, shit happens in games and got on with it instead of greetin.

As i said defensive errors were made by a few in the lead up to the goal but if Ainsworth had tracked his man and tackled properly Lawless would not have scored. Also i dont think for a minute that McGhee guessed that Ainsworth would go all girly and start greetin, he should have manned up in the interview, shit happens in games and got on with it instead of greetin.

Aye, if your aunt had grown balls she'd be your uncle.

Can you honestly say ritual public humiliation is good management skill? I'd surmise it's highly unlikely to have any positive effect on Easy Lionel at all - and will highly likely kill what little confidence he has left after a recent stint on the bench. Given the soft nature of goals we concede, why he was singled out in a way that our erm, 'senior players' escape criticism is beyond me. Poor decision making that costs us isn't unique, he shares some company... our captain, McManus or Hammell to name but a few?

Edited by Andy_P
Tried to tidy up the quotes a wee bit there