Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

I know exactly how this thread is going to go now.

1) We were still in the cup when Louis Moult came on the field

2) We didn't improve any when he came on

3) The 90th minute goal was due to Moult not putting a challenge in on the guy that scored and then turning his back on him and jogged up the park while his man blasted in the top corner.

The fans got what they wanted today and it blew up in their face, but, hey, let's blame McGhee anyway.

Our fans were an absolute disgrace today, screaming, yelling, booing a manager when his team is sitting at 1-1 with half an hour to go.

We are going through a period right now where we are having no luck whatsoever, and how do the fans react - like they did today.

This rabid dog stuff is an absolute embarrassment.

Louis Moult is to blame for a goal that was coming 15 minutes before he came on? Aye, very good.

There is only one individual to blame for that today. The guy that sent out a team that had us on the back foot for much of the game. Two or three individuals played poorly today but the shape was the problem.

The manager is not nearly as clever as he thinks he is and when he tries to prove otherwise, it blows up in his face...

• Like 1

Gutted is an understatement. McGhee's tactics cost us big style today. One man up in a must win cup game, taking Lasley off when he was one of the better performers and leaving it til about 2 minutes to go to bring Lionel on. Big blow to the finances as well now.

Louis Moult is to blame for a goal that was coming 15 minutes before he came on? Aye, very good.

What has 15 minutes before he came on got to do with the moment when the winning goal was scored?

Also 15 minutes before Moult came on, we were pressing Inverness back and eventually equalised. Inverness were no threat at that point in the game.

Taking off Lasley was McGhee's big mistake today.

What has 15 minutes before he came on got to do with the moment when the winning goal was scored?

Also 15 minutes before Moult came on, we were pressing Inverness back and eventually equalised. Inverness were no threat at that point in the game.

The entire shape of the team ensured that we couldn't retain the ball in the Inverness half. Inverness had several chances prior to getting the winner, it was coming...
  • Like 1

What a stubborn, pig headed, arrogant manager we have. From blaming Ainsworth in public during the week to coming up with a tactical disaster today, that he then refused to change until 15 or so mins to go. Not often mad after our games (disappointed a lot), today there is one man to blame for our defeat and he's the one that makes (or doesn't) the big decisions. Not quite demanding his head but he really needs to take some responsibility for that shambles. The set piece goal (which to be fare may have come from him) should not deflect how bad that was today. Not a Pearson fan to be honest but much of his poor performance today was down to where the manager deployed him. Cadden tried hard but should not have lasted the whole game and Lasley had his poorest game for a long long time, again due to the system.

• Like 1

Not a chance. Lasley was hopeless today. Barely any passes made their target. Headless chicken today, I'm afraid.

I was shouting for Moult for Lasley after about 50 minutes.

• Like 2

You don't win the cup if you keep giving away late goals. It might have been a pleasant diversion but we are out now and need to concentrate on the job in hand which is picking up enough points to survive in the top flight for another season.

I am confident that we have enough talent in the squad todo so, but they need to screw the nut and put in a professional shift to achieve this. We need to be fitter, better organised and concentrate for the full game. No point in feeling sorry for themselves and no point in looking for someone to blame. The supporters need to get behind the team and hope they deliver.

As I've said I had to resort to the radio today and I was slightly taken aback by the noises coming from the ground. However I suspect that his approach to the game compounded the bitter taste stemming from the treatment of Lionel on Tuesday.

For those not there, the reason McGhee was getting it in the neck was a combination of factors.

- Mind boggling formation playing 1up front at home, players not even looking confident in positions

- Dire first half

- Launching aimless punts up the park

Top scorer and top assist player on the bench despite needingba goal to get back in the game. Even when we svored he sat Moult back down. When he finally brought him on, he should have put lionel in there as well to provide some service. At 1-1 it looked as though we were playing for a draw.

Yes, its unfortunate to give away last minute goals three games running, unlucky the way they all went in even, but McGhee today really made it difficult for us to try and win the game.

And im saying this as a McGhee supporter!

Poor playing with just 1 up and lumping the ball up to him, is it the players or poor management, every other team appear to be able to bully us and get away with it by again poor refereeing. Not blaming the ref by the way but it's clear that something is going wrong is it bad luck, once yes two maybe but three no, way

At least there's no messing about with a midweek trip to Inverness (not sure who would have been confident in that) and the team can concentrate on the elephants mess were are in in the league.

Again we have become an easy mark...cant keep the ball out the net and donst score enough (as we did 2 seasons ago) to cancel them out.

Transfer window wasted, most thought itbwas good to clear fringe players, but many that remain are championship level at best.

So much for the 25th year cup-anniversary dreams

As I've said I had to resort to the radio today and I was slightly taken aback by the noises coming from the ground. However I suspect that his approach to the game compounded the bitter taste stemming from the treatment of Lionel on Tuesday.

Out of interest, where does your belief in McGhee come from? Barring an exceptional 6 months at Motherwell where he had exceptional players at his disposal, he has been an absolute failure for over a decade. There is no doubt he is a talented coach but time after time his arrogance and stubbornness undermine his ability. A very poor mans Gordon Strachan in my opinion.

When he returned he said our position last season was 'embarrassing'. That may well come back to haunt him.

Was in the POD today and when you hear the Cooper start booing the manager you know we have problems. Then the East Stand started in with you don't know what you're doing. Then it appeared folk in the POD started. At this point he's calling Moult over to go on and we score. So he then sits and waits the best part of another 15 minutes before any changes, you have to ask why?

I was surprised that Lasley went off, I'd have taken Pearo off. Even Marv was looking done after a few knocks so Ainsworth should've been on earlier not with 2 minutes to go..... so much for the comments where he sees AInsworth as a game winner, two minutes ain't enough time for that to happen.

As for the late goal again....... not a lot that I can say that would be suitable for the board.

I know exactly how this thread is going to go now.

1) We were still in the cup when Louis Moult came on the field

2) We didn't improve any when he came on

3) The 90th minute goal was due to Moult not putting a challenge in on the guy that scored and then turning his back on him and jogged up the park while his man blasted in the top corner.

The fans got what they wanted today and it blew up in their face, but, hey, let's blame McGhee anyway.

Our fans were an absolute disgrace today, screaming, yelling, booing a manager when his team is sitting at 1-1 with half an hour to go.

We are going through a period right now where we are having no luck whatsoever, and how do the fans react - like they did today.

This rabid dog stuff is an absolute embarrassment.

Don't understand why you think the fans got what they wanted, they wanted changes around the hour mark, they didn't come. Throwing a couple of guys on late on with no real time to get involved in the match was not what the fans wanted.

First time in about 30 years I've left before the final whistle. Someone needs to take control of this situation I saw Robinson remonstrating with McGhee to change it with about 20 mins to go it looked like he was being told to calm down.

The senior players should now be taken to task as very few had pass marks.

Law never make a football player

McManus 5 minute spell of total determination pity about the other 85.

Lasley tries to hard at times every pass bar two that went to our players went to McManus.

Pearson out of position disinterested moved back to his position still disinterested.

Skippy tried his heart out caught offside continually plying up front after playing deeper all season.

The manager is not nearly as clever as he thinks he is and when he tries to prove otherwise, it blows up in his face...

This. Like all managers, he has good points and bad points, but one of his biggest flaws is when he overthinks tactics and tries to be too cute with his selections.

There wasn't really anything in the tie to be honest Inverness were just as average as we were and won it with yet another Fir Park worldy. A replay would have been a fairer result.

McGhee was right to try something different but playing Mcdonald as a lone striker was never gonna work and he did take far to long to change it.

It was a bit bizarre hearing 'Well fans shout you don't know what your doing at the manager and booing every long pass. The sarcastic cheering both times when Moult was about to come on was quite comical as well.

Disappointed to lose a late goal again especially in the cup. Killie next week really is a must win

We looked solid with Lasley on and shite with him off.

Moult for McDonald or Pearson.

I didn't think we looked solid with Lasley on the field. But Moult for Lasley was the change about 60 minutes. By the time the change was made, Cadden (man of the match) was tiring and Moult should have been brought on for him.

The shape was all wrong today. When your centre forward is having to go back to the centre circle to pick up the ball, you're too deep. Other aspect of our shape is by playing one out and out winger and the ball is always going to him, it's very easy for teams to shut you down. Particularly if certain players hold on to the ball too long. If Johnson is being doubled up on, we need to switch the play quickly and have someone providing width on the other side. Something which, on today's evidence, Cadden is capable of providing..

• Like 1