Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

Pearson was nearly up front for half the game, it is Stephen Hughes at left mid all over again. We had one decent bit of play in the second half when Cadden set up Pearon on a plate to miss the ball completely with the goal gaping. We equalised from a corner Inverness defended horribly and that convinced McGhee to sit Moult back down, our formation was not in any way working.

Moult for Lasley was the right change but it should have camr a hell of a lot sooner to give Moult a chance to get in the game. Why we took of McDonald for Ainsworth when you could see Cadden was about burst as well.

McGhee is an arsehole of a man and we'll overlook that if he gets results but his massive ego will likely get in the way of that.

I thought the setup was fine starting out. We had to nullify Caley Thistle and stop them playing around us. Which we did most of the time bar a few passages of play in the first half. We had most of the gane up until their goal. What didn't work well was Johnson and Cadden didn't play close enough to McDonald. So rather than it be a 4-3-2-1/4-3-3 it turned into a 4-5-1 with limited chances.

We did leave it too long to change it and even when we scored the equaliser we should have went ahead with the change rather than wait I think.

no post match interview? normally up by now.

He was on the BBC. Didn't say much. Changed the shape to nullify Caley trying to control the game from deep. Mostly spent the interview complaining about the foul on Gomis in the lead up to the winner.

Thought Marv should have been subbed early second half .Looked too 'lightweight' for that game and obvious he was struggling .No leadership or oginisation with everybody doing their own thing.Something badly wrong in that dressing room. Substitutions were farcical. Should have made changes a lot earlier ,don't know how McGhee thought that the team on the park for most of the game we're going to win it. Sad that two of the best players on the day on the park for us were the youngest were the youngest and a loan deal.

According to my brother, who heard a bit of Clyde 1 for some reason, McGhee has kicked a hole in the referee's dressing room door and swore on his Clyde interview. I've no idea what he was complaining about although the post above about a foul on Gomis may be the reason

Can someone please tell Mark McGhee that we cannot play in the same formation as Leicester City as we don't have the same quality of players. What a ringpiece he is for not spotting we needed to revert back to the formation with Moult and 2 wingers when we were chasing the game.

I am a Muttley fan, but fuck me if he's not a biligerant prick who is costing us a decent cup run by adapting to try and nullify ICT instead of playing a system the players were familiar with.

Post match is on YouTube.

Seemingly we aren't good enough to go with two strikers against Inverness. Killie game was always the priority.

And a good cup run with extra money in the coffers isn't? What a fuckin arse of a man. If making the Killie game the priority over the cup game was his objective then he sure as hell better win the game!

For what is worth (not a lot I know) but I would have started three in midfield today too so not going to criticise too much on that part cause that's where Inverness have had our number in the past. But my god anyone and their dug could have seen it wasn't working from about 20mins in til the end and should have been changed quicker. High balls to Mcdonald - what the fuck?? But Mcghee seemed more determined to prove he was right and accept a draw at home to Inverness in the cup. It's that how much we've fallen that we are playing for draws against partick and ict within the matter of a few days

Not surprised by all the varied opinions on who/what was wrong today. For my part I thought the shape was meant to be 4-3-2-1 and that Johnson and Pearson were supposed to be supporting McDonald with Cadden one of the midfild three. We have to stick with the formation that the players are comfortable with and perform to the best of their ability. Pearson especially is being asked to play in a different role nearly every game and i am sure that makes him look uninterested when really he is unsure of what role is being asked of him. If we are expecting Gomis to be the saviour of our season then we are in trouble if not already. In him and Lasley we now have the the two slowest midfielders in the country operating in our engine room. Caught in possesion far too often and easily brushed off the ball. We also appear to make drastic changes to the shape when substituions are made. In the latter part of match Gomis appeared to operating between Law and Kennedy. Expecting Ainsworth to make a difference with minutes left is unreal. He more than anyone needs time to get into the game.

Can someone please tell Mark McGhee that we cannot play in the same formation as Leicester City as we don't have the same quality of players. What a ringpiece he is for not spotting we needed to revert back to the formation with Moult and 2 wingers when we were chasing the game.

I am a Muttley fan, but fuck me if he's not a biligerant prick who is costing us a decent cup run by adapting to try and nullify ICT instead of playing a system the players were familiar with.

I agree with the general point of your post - though I do have a little more faith in Mcghee - but I'm not sure I understand the Leicester comparison. Don't they usually use a simple, old fashioned 4-4-2? What I seen from us today was an overly complicated experiment that totally backfired.

For what it's worth formation-wise it looked (to me) like a 4231 with Gomis and Lasley in the holding roles. Basically matching ICT's formation.

I'd have understood trying that out if he had started Ainsworth in place of Cadden but seeing as he didn't it just seems an odd re-jig not least because it pushed both Pearson and Cadden into more unfamiliar roles.

Either way, I didn't think there was much between the two teams. Launching the ball long to McDonald was just lazy and again the subs and subsequent change of shape has cost us a late goal.

I thought we did ok for most of the game today. Better team first half and Law cost us the goal.

Second half we were poor and got a goal from nowhere. After that we have to go for the win but McGhee made an arse of it. If you decide to make a sub there is surely a reason behind it, why would you change because of a jammy set piece? It's like tossing a coin about whether you should put a sub on.

Ego McGhee needs to concentrate on job instead of talking as if he should be in a top job. He hasn't had top job because he isn't good enough. Today he wascso stubborn with not making subs earlier but some fans need to get a bloody grip. Booing players and moaning non stop ain't going to help. On plus side Gomis looks a great addition but jeez we need a right back

I have never seen such an ego-centric person.

How dare we , as mere paying punters, have the audacity to question his wisdom.

Going to two up front would have likely lost Us another goal?

Ffs, by the time we equalised we could've been three or four down, and had shown next to nothing in attack.

And the traditional deflection of blame, IT'S NEVER HIM, IS IT!?!

What a disappointment to exit the Cup again, with barely a whimper.

• Like 1