Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

Another example of those not in the team having their ability magnified. Thomas has had one good game and that was against East Fife when he came on when he probably looked better than he was as the other ten were awful.

Yes, I accept that to an extent. The problem is that Johnson is best suited to an open game where he can run onto balls and attack the defence. Today's game just wasn't like that. In short it became clear by half time that he was not the answer. I quite accept that Thomas has his faults (not big enough and his poor final ball). However whilst we know that Johnson was not the answer, we know that Thomas might have been the answer. In short try something that might work as opposed to sticking with something that isn't working.

First time in about 30 years I've left before the final whistle. Someone needs to take control of this situation I saw Robinson remonstrating with McGhee to change it with about 20 mins to go it looked like he was being told to calm down.

The senior players should now be taken to task as very few had pass marks.

Law never make a football player

McManus 5 minute spell of total determination pity about the other 85.

Lasley tries to hard at times every pass bar two that went to our players went to McManus.

Pearson out of position disinterested moved back to his position still disinterested.

Skippy tried his heart out caught offside continually plying up front after playing deeper all season.

Read this post as Tony Soprano.

It works

Yes I thought keeper made a mess of first goal and thought he was slow to get across for second goal too.

For my tuppence worth on formation, I would have brought Moult on for Pearson, dropping McDonald deeper into the number 10 role. I would have taken Johnson off (as he looked disinterested) and replaced with Ainsworth.

Don't think I can fault the keeper for the second, a rocket.

Having just watched the highlights on sportscene, it reaffirms that there really wasn't much in that game today. They certainly had no more real chances than us and you swap their wonder strike for Pearson's glaring miss and it's a different game.

The formation played is one that a I've seen suggested for the game either here or on P&B along with a couple of people suggesting that moult dropped out. If we had a more open formation, the same people would be on here complaining that we didn't match them in the middle.

I actually feel that there is a number of fans delighted we lost today as it gives more backing to their anti McGhee beliefs. That's a sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

Some brilliant tactical analysis tonight from motherwells finest tonight. Surprisingly no-one has yet pointed out the obvious.

Right, so there's about a thousand words you could've used aside from that, so, yknow, gonnae?

Some brilliant tactical analysis tonight from motherwells finest tonight. Surprisingly no-one has yet pointed out the obvious.

I rarely post on here now mainly due to arseholes like you but in a day when we had a minutes applause for a young disabled fan who sadly died to come on here and use a word like that is unforgiveable.

Why dont you go and crawl back under the stone you came out of.

• Like 4

The formation played is one that a I've seen suggested for the game either here or on P&B along with a couple of people suggesting that moult dropped out.

That struck me too. I've very very rarely seen us play well with 1 out and out striker. To do so you have to have wingers who link well with the striker and midfielders who can bomb up and down to support him. When we play with 1 striker you tend to find that invariably he has no support and/or drops back to a deeper position - which is exactly what happened today. I looked at our line up today and asked where exactly is our attacking threat going to come from?

• Like 1

I know exactly how this thread is going to go now.

1) We were still in the cup when Louis Moult came on the field

2) We didn't improve any when he came on

3) The 90th minute goal was due to Moult not putting a challenge in on the guy that scored and then turning his back on him and jogged up the park while his man blasted in the top corner.

The fans got what they wanted today and it blew up in their face, but, hey, let's blame McGhee anyway.

Our fans were an absolute disgrace today, screaming, yelling, booing a manager when his team is sitting at 1-1 with half an hour to go.

We are going through a period right now where we are having no luck whatsoever, and how do the fans react - like they did today.

This rabid dog stuff is an absolute embarrassment.

The fans got what they wanted? Did they?

This is one of the most moronic statements I have ever read on these forums.

Did the fans want Moult to be put on the park with 10 minutes to go with the game in the balance? No.

No they did not.

Did the fans want Scott McDonald up front on his own trying to bring down long balls. No.

No they did not.

You are an embarrassment.

Not the several thousand fans who all seemed to agree.

• Like 1

The fans got what they wanted? Did they?

This is one of the most moronic statements I have ever read on these forums.

Did the fans want Moult to be put on the park with 10 minutes to go with the game in the balance? No.

No they did not.

Did the fans want Scott McDonald up front on his own trying to bring down long balls. No.

No they did not.

You are an embarrassment.

Not the several thousand fans who all seemed to agree.

Just for the record I would start every game with McDonald and Moult up front but that's not what I'm talking about.

If Motherwell fans continue to behave like they did today no manager worth his salt will want to touch this job. It will become a poisonous chalice. Instead of supporting the team today when we equalised, all we got was jeering, ironic applause, "you don't know what you're doing" sung from the stand, boos, verbal abuse of the manager etc, etc. It's pathetic, over the top, completely out of order and self defeating. It was 1-1 in a game we were competitive in!

Why? Because the manager didn't put on a player who, incidentally, later cost us the match. Or was it about something else, eh? Cause I doubt such a reaction has come about due to his won 4, lost 5, in the league or the fact that he's improved the standard of play immeasurable since coming in.

The tactics and formation did not lose us the match today, any reasonable person can see that because its as clear as day, or it should be to anyone not having an apoplectic fit because we got put out the cup for the 24th year in a row. We lost because Law and Moult failed in basic footballing tasks and that is beyond the powers of the manager.

Oh and I couldn't care less how many people 'seem to agree'. A thousand people who are wrong are still wrong.

• Like 3

Just for the record I would start every game with McDonald and Moult up front but that's not what I'm talking about.

If Motherwell fans continue to behave like they did today no manager worth his salt will want to touch this job. It will become a poisonous chalice. Instead of supporting the team today when we equalised, all we got was jeering, ironic applause, "you don't know what you're doing" sung from the stand, boos, verbal abuse of the manager etc, etc. It's pathetic, over the top, completely out of order and self defeating. It was 1-1 in a game we were competitive in!

Why? Because the manager didn't put on a player who, incidentally, later cost us the match. Or was it about something else, eh? Cause I doubt such a reaction has come about due to his won 4, lost 5, in the league or the fact that he's improved the standard of play immeasurable since coming in.

The tactics and formation did not lose us the match today, any reasonable person can see that because its as clear as day, or it should be to anyone not having an apoplectic fit because we got put out the cup for the 24th year in a row. We lost because Law and Moult failed in basic footballing tasks and that is beyond the powers of the manager.

Oh and I couldn't care less how many people 'seem to agree'. A thousand people who are wrong are still wrong.

You're right that you shouldn't agree with the fans just because there are lots of them. I generally don't either. But just because you think what you say is right doesn't make it any more true, and when you say they are wrong, I say that in this instance you are completely incorrect.

Yes, Louis Moult made a mistake which cost us a goal late in the game. He was on for bareltly 10 minutes and looked defeated. The same guy who was giving everything and chasing lost causes not so long ago seemed to give up. McGhee's motivarional technique of dropping the top scorer working wonders. Still, he should have tracked his man. And the game against Thistle was Ainsworth's fault. Not McGhee. You say tactics and formation didn't cost us the game? Well, I thought EXACTLY the opposite and I think that that is as clear as day to a reasonable person. I'm all for supporting the team and manager but I think you need to make it appropriate to the contribution and from the intial team set up it looked like the manager had made a mistake and that was the way the game played out. McGhee will blame players (again) but only so many of these incidents can be blamed on individuals. Eventually the manager will need to take some responsibility for his decisions as well.

Just watching the highlights on Sportscene. I think it is a day Josh Law will want to forget, I think he has shirked out of a tackle at both goals which is disappointing because I think he has been one of our better players this season.

Also on McGhee's claim of a foul on Gomis - not for me. Strong shoulder challenge to win the ball is perfectly legal and it is either a masterclass in deflection or claret and amber specs. He had a genuine grievance last week but not this.

Big big game next week and the trick now is to get the heads up for it.

I looked at our line up today and asked where exactly is our attacking threat going to come from?

Yet week in, week out you make the case for the type of set up which is going to result in exactly that happening!

In our current guise beefing up the midfield as you crave to prevent us being bullied by these tough tackling physical sides you refer to is almost invariably going to result in our attacking edge being blunted.

Off the top of my head I recollect a midfield three working for us with varying degrees of success on a couple of occasions. The first was when you had Jamie Dolan anchoring a midfield that had the likes of Lambert, Davies and the energetic O'Donnell doing great things backed up by ball playing defenders such as Martin and Krivokapic.

The other was under Jim Gannon where he totally changed the dynamic to have Hateley, Forbes, Coke and occasionally Jennings in central midfield. That initially worked to an extent in that we played lots of good football and sprayed it about but generally got nowhere fast and lacked a cutting edge.

There are times and places to play three in midfield but if McGhee wants to adopt that setup on a regular basis for me he is going to require to revisit it after he's made some fairly major personnel changes for adopting it regularly with Pearo, Lasley and Gomis is going to make for frustrating watching.

• Like 1

Must admit tae being a bit baffled by the comment that we can't play two forwards against Inverness. And equally confused as tae why experienced pros like Pearson are so limited to positions the can play. Surely a guy like Pearo can at least play left or centre midfield either in an attacking role or a defensive one.

What about Ripley for the first goal? Should have dived outwards and caught the ball! Also people seem to have forgotten about Laws tackle in 2nd half after McManus made an arse of a back pass back to Ripley. The point is that it's hardly ever only 1 persons fault!!!

McManus - Shite

Law - Double Shite

Long ball to a tiny striker wasn't working, one goal from a set play doesn't change that fact.

That said you can't account for a 30 yard rocket.

Both weren't at their best yesterday granted but law and McManus have been decent recently so will cut them some slack. Law stopped a certain goal with a block after McManus error too. And McManus assisted our goal. Both need to be better on Saturday however although that could be said for most of the team.

There's a lot of knee jerking went on yesterday and I was guilty of it too. We need to take something positive (including points) from our next two games though or the knives are going to be out for Mcghee. For what it's worth I still think he's the man for the job.

What about Ripley for the first goal?

To some extent you're right but the real fault lies with Law and/or Cadden. The Inverness No 3 runs up our right flank unchallenged and neither player picks him up. Law cottons on belatedly probably because he was watching another Inverness player but Cadden just stops and ends up covering no-one. The No 3 is given time and space to fire across a Davy Cooper type cross into the 6 yard box.

For the second goal Law doesn't look too clever. He makes a poor, half hearted attempt to close Roberts down and allows him space and time to showcase his shooting skills. Had it been the other way around, we would have seen 2 Inverness players harrying, hassling and bodychecking our forward to deny him the chance to shoot. Both very poor goals to lose and totally preventable.

• Like 1