Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

I also believe he's still the man for the job.

However, I wish he would change this, my way is always right attitude!

He has been prone to it previously and it backfired. Sometimes, he overthinks things!

Too much talk about the technicalities of ICT and nullifying them and not enough thought about us tearing them a new one.

He maybe feels that we can't play an expansive game like he wants and things will take time.

However, I'm confident that we'll survive and with a few new players joining for next season, things will progress.

You've got to hope!

Just watching the highlights on Sportscene. I think it is a day Josh Law will want to forget, I think he has shirked out of a tackle at both goals which is disappointing because I think he has been one of our better players this season.

Also on McGhee's claim of a foul on Gomis - not for me. Strong shoulder challenge to win the ball is perfectly legal and it is either a masterclass in deflection or claret and amber specs. He had a genuine grievance last week but not this.

Big big game next week and the trick now is to get the heads up for it.

Haven't watched the challenge back yet, at the time I thought it's one of those ones you usually get nowadays , but we didn't and the rest is history.

I think Josh Law has been ok, felt for him a bit when he was berated week in week out on here, but I don't have much confidence when he's on the ball.

Thought at the time yesterday he pulled out of any tackle for the 1st yesterday as it was right in front of me. However he was the only one who reacted when Las and Kennedy had an argument after a loose pass from Las. Initially thought a free kick had been given as everyone seemed to stop apart from Law and a couple of ICT players. If he hadn't we'd have been a goal down and a whole team to blame..

Haven't watched the challenge back yet, at the time I thought it's one of those ones you usually get nowadays , but we didn't and the rest is history.

I think Josh Law has been ok, felt for him a bit when he was berated week in week out on here, but I don't have much confidence when he's on the ball.

The challenge in isolation wasn't that bad and sometimes you get them. But for me the frustration was a few minutes before Inverness got a foul for a very similar, albeit softer challenge over beside the dugouts, because the whole Inverness bench claimed for it. The inconsistency in refereeing is awful at the moment.

Josh law has been one of our better players this season, he may have been caught ball watching however McManus wasn't watching his man. Caden has been pretty brilliantly and as good as ainsworth is u can't take out cadden at the moment. Meanwhile u could start to think why changes weren't made earlier with Johnson who done heehaw, Pearson never tried a leg and McDonald shattered.

Caden has been pretty brilliantly and as good as ainsworth is u can't take out cadden at the moment.

You raise a good point. If you look at our squad on paper we seem to have a lot of options but that isn't really the case. I still haven't fully sussed out Cadden yet but he seems to a right sided version of Pearson, but with more of a tendency to play wide. IF thats the case then you couldn't really accommodate Ainsworth and Cadden together. Ainsworth is the better attacker although he can't defend. Cadden is probably the better defender, although a bit raw - I'd like to see him play more in the centre to test him out there. Likewise I don't think Lasley and Gomis can play together and if they are picked again in the same team then the alarm bells should be ringing.

You raise a good point. If you look at our squad on paper we seem to have a lot of options but that isn't really the case. I still haven't fully sussed out Cadden yet but he seems to a right sided version of Pearson, but with more of a tendency to play wide. IF thats the case then you couldn't really accommodate Ainsworth and Cadden together. Ainsworth is the better attacker although he can't defend. Cadden is probably the better defender, although a bit raw - I'd like to see him play more in the centre to test him out there. Likewise I don't think Lasley and Gomis can play together and if they are picked again in the same team then the alarm bells should be ringing.

Was not there yesterday Dave but having seen Gomis a few times for Hearts I think he is the better option of the 2, Lasley has lost that half yard of pace in the last couple of seasons, he is 2nd to just about every ball this season and ends up chasing for most of the game. The problem comes at the end of the season though, assuming we don't sign Gomis permanently we need to replace Lasley as I have my doubts as to whether he is up to another season.

Was not there yesterday Dave but having seen Gomis a few times for Hearts I think he is the better option of the 2, Lasley has lost that half yard of pace in the last couple of seasons, he is 2nd to just about every ball this season and ends up chasing for most of the game. The problem comes at the end of the season though, assuming we don't sign Gomis permanently we need to replace Lasley as I have my doubts as to whether he is up to another season.

Yes, at the moment he is the better option of the two but I think his deal at Tynecastle runs out in the summer of 2017. I don't see a future for him there though. Big decisions at the end of this season for us. It would be totally wrong to blame Keith Lasley for yesterday's defeat and I'm not. In his defence he was playing in an unfamiliar midfield where players weren't comfortable with what they were being asked to do. However he was bullied by the much bigger and faster Ross Draper but you can't fault him for that - it was simply an unequal contest. He did though hold up our attacks by dithering on the ball and as I said earlier repeatedly passed to colleagues who were being closely marked, Marvin Johnson being a perfect example. Others' off the ball movement didn't help him to be fair.

Gomes is the better option and is a fantastic player IMO and should be playing in front of lasley. We can't be a club always there playing club legends cos they are club legends we need to be ruthless and think more going forward and we same with faddy and possibly hammel. Look at Chelsea with terry possibly one of their greatest players but yet they have turned their eye at it as they know they need to bring in younger and fresher players who will be doing the job.

Don't let the minority put you off, always the same reaction to cup defeat, here,facebook,twitter, pub...

Disgusting behaviour by the minority getting upset at losing a winnable cup tie.

I'm just gutted they cut the prices as watching the ball flying through the air to a wee striker was definitely worth full price.

The thing that annoys me most about yesterdays game is the nonsense that ICT are so good we needed to play one up front for fear of being over run. Just bollocks, fair enough doing that if we had a lead to defend late on perhaps but they are a bang average SPL team not even in the top half of the table.

Now I am a massive fan of Lasley and reckon he still does an ok job, but he isn't the player he was and frankly in Gomis and Pearson we could have had a central midfield two more than able to mix it with the physical stuff and play a bit of football, with Cadden on the right offering a bit more of a rounded game than Ainsworth and Marvin on the left we should have been looking to take the game to Inverness at home with our top score and McDonald up front.

A simple change that in all liklihood would have seen us carry significantly more attacking threat. Leaving us options on the bench in Fletcher, Ainsworth even the raw and slightly overhyped Dom Thomas if we needed to change up our attacking options and a bit of experience in Lasley to throw on if we had a game to see out. Not shoehorning in Gomis and pushing Pearson up the park looking like a fish out of water.

Utter shite from McGhee in his justification, tries to be to clever by half and despite thinking he is twat I'd much rather put up with him winning games than losing games. There has been bad luck in amongst some of our recent bad results and I wouldn't be calling for his head at the moment early signs are he is no different from the last time he was here. Essentially has some good managerial qualities but after a few decent reuslts he reckons he is the messiah and is all about laying the blame anywhere he can when it isn't working with his elaborate tactical genious not being appreciated but us ungrateful plebs.

Granted the abuse Mcghee got yesterday was certainly over the top but I think a lot of animosity still sits in relation to the ainsworth comments midweek. For me, no matter what the results we have are I do not want him at the club. He is a poisonous arrogant man who shouldn't be anywhere near our club in my opinion.

• Like 1

The thing that annoys me most about yesterdays game is the nonsense that ICT are so good we needed to play one up front for fear of being over run. Just bollocks, fair enough doing that if we had a lead to defend late on perhaps but they are a bang average SPL team not even in the top half of the table.

Now I am a massive fan of Lasley and reckon he still does an ok job, but he isn't the player he was and frankly in Gomis and Pearson we could have had a central midfield two more than able to mix it with the physical stuff and play a bit of football, with Cadden on the right offering a bit more of a rounded game than Ainsworth and Marvin on the left we should have been looking to take the game to Inverness at home with our top score and McDonald up front.

A simple change that in all liklihood would have seen us carry significantly more attacking threat. Leaving us options on the bench in Fletcher, Ainsworth even the raw and slightly overhyped Dom Thomas if we needed to change up our attacking options and a bit of experience in Lasley to throw on if we had a game to see out. Not shoehorning in Gomis and pushing Pearson up the park looking like a fish out of water.

Utter shite from McGhee in his justification, tries to be to clever by half and despite thinking he is twat I'd much rather put up with him winning games than losing games. There has been bad luck in amongst some of our recent bad results and I wouldn't be calling for his head at the moment early signs are he is no different from the last time he was here. Essentially has some good managerial qualities but after a few decent reuslts he reckons he is the messiah and is all about laying the blame anywhere he can when it isn't working with his elaborate tactical genious not being appreciated but us ungrateful plebs.

How is it utter shite ?

In my opinion right now Inverness have a better team and midfield than we do. Not a great deal in it, but they won our last home game 3-1, albeit with a dubious and re-taken penalty.

If we went two up front we could have been easily outnumbered in midfield which would have made our odds of winning a lot less. Imagine that had happened and we lost be a wider margin, people would be on here asking why we did not shore up the midfield. He cannot possibly win.

His tactics got us to within seconds of a deserved replay, but for a wonder strike and a foul that ought to have been given. Gomis was in front of Roberts and was barged from slightly behind. As someone has already stated on here an almost replica of a foul Inverness were given near the dugouts.

Seeing the goal again, Moults attempt a tackle was every bit as poor as Laws. 91 minutes and after last 2 games he should have cleaned him out. When will we learn.

A real sickener. But we can concentrate on staying in the league and hoping a modicum of luck comes our way.

Plus point was Gomis. I thought he was excellent yesterday. I would be inclined to drop Lasley from midfield, which is not something I say lightly. Just feel Gomis and Lasley are too similar and on yesterday's form Gomis would get the nod.

For me the problem with Lasley is the simple observation that he commits more and more "all or nothing " tackles- but ,unlike a few seasons ago , he just doesn't spring back to his feet and get back in the game quickly enough. Costly in that it leaves midfield gaps which our opponents exploit all too often. Gomis is no spring chicken but on yesterday's showing he looks a more solid option

• Like 1

Well first of all add up the point tally of Inverness and ourselves over the last season and a half and you'll see that there is a bit of a gap there, they have proved themselves a better team than us. There cup anniversary is also a bit smaller than ours.

Secondly think back just a few months ago to when they came to Fir Park and beat us fairly easily.

Whatever you think of McGhee, and unlike most or any fans, I'd beat he poured over that match and came to some conclusions to give us a better chance of winning the match.

Will anyone deny that we were more likely to win, based on the performance, on Saturday than during the previous defeat? As I've said I thought we were marginally the better team, a big improvement on the previous match.

It's not a 'tactical disaster' if you'd still have been in the cup if the ref had blown a minute earlier or if you are eliminated by a shot that the lad Roberts will probably never replicate in his career.

That's nothing to do with tactics.

Well first of all add up the point tally of Inverness and ourselves over the last season and a half and you'll see that there is a bit of a gap there, they have proved themselves a better team than us. There cup anniversary is also a bit smaller than ours.

It's not a 'tactical disaster' if you'd still have been in the cup if the ref had blown a minute earlier or if you are eliminated by a shot that the lad Roberts will probably never replicate in his career.

That's nothing to do with tactics.

I can't recall any previous manager building up a provincial team as much as Mark McGhee did with Inverness on Saturday. From his comments he's left me, never mind his players, s**t scared of playing them ever again. They have a very good midfield granted but are they really that good? Did we treat the likes of Ross County, Aberdeen and Hearts in the same way at Fir Park - from memory I don't think so. In fairness he may have told the players something entirely different but actions spoke louder than words at the weekend in terms of team selection and tactics. In short I think it was a tactical disaster.

Was the defeat all down to tactics? Of course it wasn't. It was also down to rank bad play at both goals. Shocking defending played a major part as did some players just not playing well throughout the game. However, is it not up to the manager to factor in his players' weaknesses and also leave room for error? If a team plays as we do ie defend very deeply and narrowly then any error at all can be very costly. By defending this way we have lost 3 costly late goals in just over a week to: a refereeing error; a wicked deflection and a speculative wonder goal. All we missed was an individual blunder. I believe in defending higher up the pitch - if you make mistakes there then you can recover. If McGhee says that we don't have the players to do that then fine, but damn well bring them in at the first opportunity. Other provincial clubs on a limited budget can source them why can't we? In fairness Stuart McCall and Ian Baraclough also played this way.

• Like 1

Braved it to watch the highlights on Sportcene, didn't really think it was a foul on Gomis, but refs do tend to give those ones nowadays.

Both goals are preventable if Law puts a half decent challenge in ,sorry to pick on the guy, especially second goal, there are others though, who could have done better.

Helluva strike by the boy, though

Defending for both goals is criminal. For the first one Law really should've cut it out and why Ripley doesn't stick an arm out when the ball is crossed 3 yards out beggars belief.

For the second one? Just bring the guy down!! Numerous players back off as well! I did think it was a foul on Gomis in the build up but there was still opportunities to stop the shot getting away.