The Stewarding/policing Thread

Razz1074

This is turning into another standing v not standing argument when it does not have to really.

Basically...don't hang over a barrier, drunk or not, with food and drink if there are people below you on the other side in seats. At the very least it is only fucking polite.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but if you encounter someone doing it don't demand a blanket response against a load of people who haven't done anything wrong. I'm sure Melvin will be happy to confirm that nobody behind him has ever pelted him with food or drink over the years.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but if you encounter someone doing it don't demand a blanket response against a load of people who haven't done anything wrong. I'm sure Melvin will be happy to confirm that nobody behind him has ever pelted him with food or drink over the years.

No, just poor quality patter. In fairness, I do as much pelting back with that...

Not sure I read it as the supporters

back in this thread who demanded the blanket response? Rather they complained about their own situation and maybe some others did and the club responded by implementing what they saw the best way to deal with it?

I certainly don't want to ruin anyones matchday experience, nor have people being thrown out the ground. I also have no issue with people standing and as I said the club seems to allow provision for this at the South Stand end (and on that I would happily support the return of standing areas for those that want to stand at a match)

My issue is that I don't want people hanging over the barrier behind my seat. The problem is, and I eluded to it in my post, how do you police that. If you move everyone away then people get upset as they feel they have done nothing wrong to merit being moved (and I completely understand this), but if you leave it up to individuals to ask people to move from behind their seat then you run into issues that I experience a couple of weekends ago.

What I absolutely shouldn't have to do is move from a seat that I have been in for many years because someone decides it's fine to stand behind me in a part of the ground that is designated as a no standing area.

I certainly don't want to ruin anyones matchday experience, nor have people being thrown out the ground. I also have no issue with people standing and as I said the club seems to allow provision for this at the South Stand end (and on that I would happily support the return of standing areas for those that want to stand at a match)

My issue is that I don't want people hanging over the barrier behind my seat. The problem is, and I eluded to it in my post, how do you police that. If you move everyone away then people get upset as they feel they have done nothing wrong to merit being moved (and I completely understand this), but if you leave it up to individuals to ask people to move from behind their seat then you run into issues that I experience a couple of weekends ago.

What I absolutely shouldn't have to do is move from a seat that I have been in for many years because someone decides it's fine to stand behind me in a part of the ground that is designated as a no standing area.

Whilst you made valid points, not sure we need them repeated with contradiction. 'how do you police that' By your own admission... 'The police always seemed to enforce the no standing in the passageway behind the seats when the game is in progress'.

This has become an issue in a poor layout upon a terracing complete with seats. Another view point, is moving between the seats holding hot/cold food & beverages not equally as dangerous?

As for the last statement - Pompous. 'part of the ground that is designated as a no standing area' Oh, please! No provision has been made, the safety certificate will state as much - the turning of a blind eye approach has served the club well. But, your ideal seems to be 'it's alright, just not where I sit'.

• Like 1

put up screens all along the east stand on the back row so if you are not in your seat you cant see the game so no need to hang over anybody in their seats, it might make people actually sit in their seats..simples

Excellent suggestion which would cure the problem at source. Folks should remember that if any serious accident/incident occurred due to fans standing at the very back, the club would get hammered for it. I've always believed that if someone does you a favour, you don't abuse it.

It's been a few years since I moved from the East to the back row of the Cooper.

So up until the weekend, could you get away with standing behind the barrier for the bulk of the game? Stewards used to pretty tetchy if you attempted to stand there for a few minutes.

I had never really noticed it other than in the last few minutes, with folk trying to get a sharp get away.

That was until the stjohnstone game, I went for a pie, and noticed it was really busy along the barrier at the back.

Seems like they've maybe turned a blind eye to a handful of folk for a while, but it had got out of hand.

I absolutely stand by my comments. If someone abuses a fellow fan, spits on them or whatever it may be, then they should be papped out. However, to suggest that some drunkard spitting on you should lead to season ticket holders who have stood in the same spot without incident for a number of years being forced behind a yellow line is absolutely ridiculous.

And, while it couldn't possibly be enforced as a rule, I'd suggest that in a stand with the layout of the East, anyone in the back couple of rows should observe the etiquette of either standing up or at the very least not complaining when others do.

If you're looking to encourage people back to Fir Park, running to the club demanding action against innocent punters to the detriment of their matchday experience is not the way to go about it.

I used to sit in the East Stand but moved to the Cooper some years ago. My understanding is that the club accepted people standing in the end section and this developed to people also standing behind that section. This seems to have been popular and it has spread to people standing behind the backs of other areas where people are sitting.

Are you now saying that etiquette requires people that have been sitting in these areas for some time to move or stand up because people are standing behind them?

Perhaps the situation has developed differently but it doesn't appear to me that it is the sitting fans that should be considering etiquette.

The incident detailed by WellEast is horrible but it would not surprise me if there have been other complaints to the club by fans who have not wished to complain to stewards due to fears of similar reactions.

(Edited to correct making an arse of quoting).

• Like 1

Aye, rightly or wrongly, the current laws say "no standing". I was never in favour of that, and would happily support in changes that would reintroduce standing areas inside grounds.

For now, however, fans no don't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) when it comes to these arrangements as the law is pretty clear. The club turning a blind eye doesn't change the law, as stupid as we think that law might be.

• Like 2

I used to sit in the East Stand but moved to the Cooper some years ago. My understanding is that the club accepted people standing in the end section and this developed to people also standing behind that section. This seems to have been popular and it has spread to people standing behind the backs of other areas where people are sitting.

Are you now saying that etiquette requires people that have been sitting in these areas for some time to move or stand up because people are standing behind them?

Perhaps the situation has developed differently but it doesn't appear to me that it is the sitting fans that should be considering etiquette.

The incident detailed by WellEast is horrible but it would not surprise me if there have been other complaints to the club by fans who have not wished to complain to stewards due to fears of similar reactions.

You've just made that up. And it doesn't help...

I've not made anything up - that view was based on comments I've read on this forum over the years.

I stated at the very beginning that I don't sit in the East Stand so I don't know exactly how the standing situation has developed - if I'm wrong in this case, I'm more than happy to be corrected. Please explain because that would help.

I saw the incident at the Accies game as my seat is just down from it. I'm not surprised that a complaint was made to the club but I feel it's been handled very poorly & the solution doesn't address the shitbaggery of the 'yella jaikit' that let the situation escalate.

I felt sorry for the kid, who clearly was a bit anxious that the clown behind him was giving his family grief. The steward (who was a supervisor) should have seen this and told the guy to move or else he was leaving. Iirc, the guy was spoken to three times before he eventually got booted out when he should've been punted for ittimidating WellEast & his family after the first talking to.

But this standing back from the barrier rule is utter pish. Dempster relaxed the stewards over standing in the ground to put an end to the complaints of ourselves in the back row (and the last two sections in the East) who aren't obscuring anyone's view of the game. Someone on here said to me years ago, that the back row of the East is "prime real estate" as we can get standing without worrying that we're annoying those behind us. More and more people have regularly joined us behind us the barrier, enjoyed the game and not obscured anyone's view.

Disregarding the hot drink as anyone can spill a drink under any circumstances -drunk or not (as the "Bovril Two" will attest to); I personally think it's a joke for the club to impose this rule instead of dressing down a steward with an inability to do his job.

If folk want to stand at the barrier and they're not causing any bother, let them do it. If they cause bother then chuck them out. Effectively, just enforce the same rules for addressing troublemakers that are seated.

• Like 1

Excellent suggestion which would cure the problem at source. Folks should remember that if any serious accident/incident occurred due to fans standing at the very back, the club would get hammered for it. I've always believed that if someone does you a favour, you don't abuse it.

Dave, you were one of the original group with us that bought season tickets at the back specifically with the intention to stand. Now you're wanting screens up....?

Just to clarify- I have a season ticket for a seat in the back row of the stand. I chose that seat, despite the terrible view, specifically so I could stand up. As there is far more space behind the barrier, I stand there and lean on said barrier rather than squeeze into my seat. It has never caused any issue with any other supporter and have been doing this for many years.

What I don't understand- and maybe the original poster/complainant could clarify- is the rationale for choosing a back row seat if you want to sit down throughout the match. The view is terrible and there will always be people over the top of you, yellow line or not.

What you are doing is entirely reasonable. Unfortunately it seems the actions of a small number (or even one individual) are ruining things for everyone.

When the seating was originally put into the East Stand I had a season ticket about three rows from the back and in those days the majority of seats around me were taken, including the back row. It may well be that some people have stayed in the same seats through habit over the years even although there may be better views elsewhere - let's face it, people don't like change.

the area behind the seats is a designated concourse. Not a problem with the last 2-3 rows of seats plus the end sections being allowed to stand but why do some folk always rip the arse out of it?

Its a fucking concourse,its to allow folk to walk to the bogs/pie stall/leave the ground etc safely and WITHOUT OBSTRUCTION! not for watching a game, would you go to a gig/theatre show/cinema and stand in the concourse area?

The club must feel like theyre pishing into the wind here,we have a 3000 seat capacity terrace,fans greet cause they want to stand,club designate 25-30% of the seats in said stand to become an area the club "will turn a blind eye to standing" in. Now we have fans greeting cause they cant stand in the fucking concourse to watch the game.

• Like 6

the area behind the seats is a designated concourse. Not a problem with the last 2-3 rows of seats plus the end sections being allowed to stand but why do some folk always rip the arse out of it?

Its a fucking concourse,its to allow folk to walk to the bogs/pie stall/leave the ground etc safely and WITHOUT OBSTRUCTION! not for watching a game, would you go to a gig/theatre show/cinema and stand in the concourse area?

The club must feel like theyre pishing into the wind here,we have a 3000 seat capacity terrace,fans greet cause they want to stand,club designate 25-30% of the seats in said stand to become an area the club "will turn a blind eye to standing" in. Now we have fans greeting cause they cant stand in the fucking concourse to watch the game.

I'm not one for enforcing stupid rules or rules for rules sake.

But, you're spot on.

Nothing wrong with standing in the back few rows or the last couple of sections of the east stand.

What the fuck do folk want? I quite fancy sitting on the wall at the front of the east stand or bringing a stool and sitting it in the stairwell...

:lol:

• Like 1

its an all seated stadium the SFA / Spfl or whoever makes the rules does not allow standing at games so until this is changed we need to live with it. So why dont people just sit down in the seats and watch the game instead of standing in passages giving people grief and blocking access to and from the stand, 99% of everybody else at the game manages it so its not difficult.

• Like 2