Hearts V Motherwell Sat 16 January

Graeme Bremner

It's not 100% on McGhee, of course not. The manager is responsible for choosing the team, and getting them to carry out his instructions.

In his team selection, McGhee got it horribly wrong today. While our defence isn't exactly airtight, it has been fairly settled, and looked like a more cohesive unit. He undid all of that today by accommodating for a missing midfielder by moving two defenders out of position.

The players are responsible for the execution on the park, but today, we were unsettled from kick off. Any communication and understanding built up in previous weeks by McManus/Hammell, Hammell/Johnson, Hall/Law, was undone by the team selection.

Very few players performed today, but they were out of sorts from the start. It was always going to be tight against Hearts, but there's always a chance if you stick to what you do well, and players perform on the day.

If there was a day for things to go wrong though, I'd much rather it happened today, than against Killie, Dundee Utd, or Partick.

We've been much better in recent weeks, so this is now all about how the players pick themselves up and get back in the game for the County match.

• Like 1

He didn't change a settled defence because he wanted to, he changed it because he had to make changes. He tried something, it didn't work, move on. We have very, very few options outside our strongest XI and he was damned if he didn't, and damned if he did, going to maybe the hardest ground in the country to get a result. Do you think we'd be sitting here with 3 points if Louis Laing had played in midfield or if Jack Leitch had replaced Grimshaw. I'm going to speculate we would still have got a drubbing, making those simple mistakes, showing that attitude and playing against a good team in what is to all extends and purposes a fortress for them.

As for 100% blame, its never anyone to blame 100%. We put out eleven players today who we are all paying for and they got absolutely steamrollered. The players need to put up their hands over this as well.

Hardly McGhee's fault we gave away two penalties, couldn't win headers in the box etc.

Just please do me a favour and think back a couple of months.

Bang on!

Surely playing Laing, cadden or leitch in there would have been better?

In fact I heard McGhee say in his interview that playing law CM was his only option. He also said that pearo then had to play as the holding playmaker. Surely Laing plays deeper and allows pearo to play in his natural position?

Almost everyone in normal positions and with the same back 4 as previous we wouldn't have conceded 6.

Chalmers is awful, so out his depth

There's no denying that what McGhee tried today didn't work but every single Motherwell fan could've told you that Law isn't a centre mid and Chalmers is never a premier league footballer. It is widely recognised that Hammell being missing from left back, that's left back, I repeat left back most of the season was a massive reason we were so abject for so long. Laing in midfield doesn't work, Clarky/Faddy/cadden probably wouldn't have either but swapping solid players about to accommodate 1 or 2 who were missing meant the whole rhythm of the team was disrupted. And he kept them there the full 90!!

Saying it again,if your a 'Well' fan results like this happen ,I hate the thought of that lot humping us but it'll not stop me being 100% behind my team Motherwell FC next week. Don't feel the need to rip anybody aprart or over think why we got beat. We lost and hopefully we bounce back next week as I've seen us do loadsa times. Not worried at this ,sickened but will get over it.

• Like 1

The chat of McGhee not trusting Cadden or Leitch doesn't wash with me. Or more to the point, I'm pretty sure I don't trust McGhee after today if he thinks that deployment of players and moving Hammell about and Law (who's barely a right back, let alone a centre mid!!) about and bringing in Chalmers (who's barely a fucking footballer!!) was the right thing to do!

Then after 22 minutes when we go 3-0 down he doesn't change it. Or keeps them there after half time. And indeed the full 90 minutes. Really?!?! At what point did he think moving those players about and also disrupting the partnerships they had formed with their team mates (Hammell and Johnson etc) wasn't working?! I'd love to know.

The smart thing to do today, and only thing we really could've/should've done was bring in Ainsworth for Grimshaw and any one of Leitch, Cadden, or even Laing, even Clarkson, or even Faddy in for Lasley, but you leave the rest of the fucking team alone!!!

This is spot on.

Missed a sitter today.

Not convinced (from when we do see him) he's actually any good. Comes across as a bit of a walloper as well.

Hopefully he can improve, but with Skippy and Moult playing well, he's a million miles away from the starting 11.

His best shot is showing McGhee he has more to offer than Robinson and Clarkson as backup. If ge cant do that then we are screwed if injuries start affecting our front two

• Like 1

Ainsworth in for Grimshaw was a given, but it makes no sense to me that we played hammel, law and Pearson out of position and brought in a guy who just returned to u20s action this week, when we could have put one of our backup midfielders in midfield and left the rest alone. You can also argue that moving hammel also made Johnson less effective.

I wasn't expecting anything today, and maybe McGhee wasn't either so decided to try some stuff again?

Utter shite, in saying that we could have had it back to 3 each with more composure, which shows that Hearts aren't the Brazil 70/82 clone that the radio are making them out to be. McGhee got it spectacularly wrong today in the first half(the last 15 minutes the players had all but given up) so much so that the mind boggles as to just what the fuck he was thinking.

Chalmers is so devoid of confidence, add in his very limited ability, that you're really hoping that we can move him on quickly. Law is a right back, never a centre mid in a million years and Hammy doesn't, and never has had, a right foot.

Just when I was jumping on the Mark McGhee bandwagon he does something to show what an utter bawbag he really is. Thanks Mark, I can truly keep hating you now. That was humiliating today, thanks to you.

What a feckin ridiculous post away and have a look at yourself ya muppet.

• Like 1

Ainsworth in for Grimshaw was a given,

I'm not sure that it was. I think it was WeeYin who said we ought to play with 3 central midfielders and he was right. We should have kept the defence as was and played Laing in the middle along with Cadden or perhaps even Reid. That set up would have given the defence much more protection.