St Johnstone V Motherwell Sat 20 Feb 15:00

Yabba's Turd

A draw would be acceptable. They seem to be struggling though, so three points are not out of the question.

I suppose we have to be realistic and accept that a win won't keep us up and a defeat won't relegate us. We do not seem to cope with pressure so maybe another away fixture works in our favour.

By all accounts, McFadden made a difference last night and the two wing backs performed very well in an unfamiliar role.

Absolutely no idea how we will shape up on Saturday as McGhee has a few selection headaches all over the park.

Is it possible to get Faddy, Johnson, Skippy and Moult in same team again while playing a conventional back 4?

Perth performances have been pretty dismal in recent years. Wee result on Saturday would give us some much needed breathing space and drag St Johnstone right into the playoff scrap.

Is it possible to get Faddy, Johnson, Skippy and Moult in same team again while playing a conventional back 4?

Answer to that one is probably not, short of playing McFadden on the right wing and then you lose Cadden's energy. The temptation would be to go with the same lineup as last night. You would then have the likes of Pearson, Ainsworth, Hammell and Law on the bench giving you a few options from the bench. Other option would be to replace Lasley with Pearson if Lasley is suffering the aftereffects of playing while not 100%...

My only concern with the same line up would be the wider park at Mcdiarmid might mean we're a bit more exposed down the wings.

Having said that I'm not sure how St Johnstone set up?

Last nights system might fall on its backside if you don't get the 1st goal?

Pearson will be back in the squad, and wouldn't be gutted if he cave in for Lasley or Gomis, who I thought were 2 of the weaker players last night.

Higher than Hearts?

The full statement is here: http://dufc.co/news/statement-from-the-chairman/

Stephen Thompson, Chairman of Dundee United Football Club, issued the following statement this morning:

“As Chairman of the Club, I would like apologise to all Dundee United supporters for the abysmal performance last night against Motherwell. The current position at the bottom of the Ladbrokes Premiership is wholly unacceptable. It is not where Dundee United should be under any circumstance.

“The board and myself have made certain decisions in the last eighteen months which in hindsight were incorrect but were made for the greater good of the Club and with the ambition of maintaining our position at the top of Scottish football, something we have done successfully for the last eight years. This included supporting a playing squad that commands the third highest wage bill in the Ladbrokes Premiership.

“However, we have failed miserably on the pitch with only three wins in 25 league matches and an early exit from the League Cup. Performances such as last night simply cannot be tolerated. The current playing squad now have thirteen matches to preserve the Club’s premiership status and redeem their own professional reputations.”

Really struggling to arrive at a prefered line up for this given the massive changes last night. As mentioned I think we lined up this way specfically for Dundee Utd and I can't see McGhee doing this again. The question I would pose is why change a winning formula however you have to temper this by remembering who we were playing against. A really big headache for the manager but regardless I hope the team/formation selected is not the same as the team who performed so poorly in the last two home matches. We need to find a way to get the likes of Laing, Hall, McFadden and Moult in the team.

I am hopeful we will bring a sizeable support on Saturday with a positive mindset off the back of the win last night.

The importance of the next 4 games cannot be emphasised enough and could be make or break, all are winnable.

I think we need to look to be getting atleast 7 points. In saying that if we win on Saturday I am hopeful we could go on some sort of run.

St Johnstone (A)

Partick (H)

Hamilton (A)

Dundee Utd (H)

Edited by Lukemfc1

They were 442 when they lost to Dundee at Dens on Friday night.

Mannus

Fisher Anderson Shaughnessy Scobbie

Swanson Lappin Davidson Wotherspoon

Cummins MacLean

No wonder they lost lost with that defence Anderson is the only one I rate out the 4. If they they play that back four again I'd be confident of getting at least a point

Anderson is a smoking timebomb, always liable to blow up and do something erratic discipline wise.

Really? I've always been reasonably impressed with Anderson. However there was one game in Perth where he started left back and got subbed off in the first half because Humphrey was giving him an absolute roasting. I miss hump

Catching them at a good time, no wins in 7 and St. Johnstone have gone from looking like dead certs for a top four place to potentially being dragged into the relegation zone.

St. Johnstone have had a very, very good home record over the past couple of seasons but they've not had a win at McDiarmid since early November.

The full statement is here: http://dufc.co/news/statement-from-the-chairman/

Given he's under pressure for selling their best players and pocketing the cash it's not a shock he's claming they are spending enough.

Hearts have a bigger squad, a better squad and logic dictates that with double the average attendance they will be spending more on player wages.

Given he's under pressure for selling their best players and pocketing the cash it's not a shock he's claming they are spending enough.

Hearts have a bigger squad, a better squad and logic dictates that with double the average attendance they will be spending more on player wages.

Aberdeen have quite a small squad and Hearts are probably being run with strict financial overview by Ann Budge. Example - they brought in Souttar and Cowie in the transfer window and Billy King and Gomis went straight out on loan.

Dundee Utd have brought in 'name' players like Kawashima, Riski, Sinama-Pongolle, Demel who will all be on decent money and they have one of the bigger squads in the first place.

I watched with interest how last night's formation panned out. The big bonus was having the spare central defender able to go forward and attack high balls or to sweep behind the other two. This worked well. I don't think we were attacked down the wings which is the concern I would have if we played this against a more competent team. Although Cadden got forward a few times I thought that Marvin's forward play was suppressed by his defensive duties but then we had Faddy creating a little bit of creative spark so that maybe balanced out. In short, no idea what formation to play on Saturday.