Alan Burrows, What's The Deal?

ankles

How he has done can't possibly be up for debate, because we don't have the slightest clue what he does. (As it should be in my opinion).

Everything's up for debate. Not having the slightest clue about what you're debating has never been an issue on here before.
  • Like 2

Everything's up for debate. Not having the slightest clue about what you're debating has never been an issue on here before.

You are desperately trying to make a story from nothing, but carry on if it keeps you occupied, the rest of us will worry about the real issues i.e. how McGhee can get the team to concentrate right up to the final whistle in matches and trying to avoid the playoffs

You are desperately trying to make a story from nothing, but carry on if it keeps you occupied, the rest of us will worry about the real issues i.e. how McGhee can get the team to concentrate right up to the final whistle in matches and trying to avoid the playoffs

You're absolutely correct, what was Graham thinking expressing an opinion about Alan Burrows in a thread about Alan Burrows!

Or is this just a place for his fan club to check in?

• Like 1

You're absolutely correct, what was Graham thinking expressing an opinion about Alan Burrows in a thread about Alan Burrows!

No fan club, just me failing to see the point of the thread, why not let him do the job he is paid for and if and when he does something that warrants praise or makes a complete James Hunt of something then we can discuss the merits of it on here, at least then we would have a definite issue to comment on.

That's the thing, nobody knows his remit so nobody knows if he is stealing a wage because he is hopeless or if he is going for employee of the season anywhere in Scotland.

What is undoubted is that his heart is in Motherwell, he gives everything he has for this football club and nobody will hurt more than he does when we go through bad runs. Give me a Burrows any day of the week rather than someone who sees us as an employer but in the grand scheme of things doesn't give a shit if we win, lose or draw.

That doesn't mean he is beyond criticism or without fault. His views on summer football are, in my view, wrong but on the other hand a lot of people agree with him. Just hope we don't give him another play off ticketing headache!

• Like 1

I think some of the interest/criticism stems from the original announcement of Dempsters departure and the degree of ambiguity around the remit of his instant promotion.

He clearly puts his heart and soul into the job with the required competence and professionalism, as fans we can't wish for much more. Possibly by his own admission, it would naturally have taken some time to settle into his new role (for whatever reason the preparation for 2014/15 wasn't good) but he seems like a quick learner. From the outside, his approach to the Rangers playoff has been his finest hour to date.

Rightly or wrongly, I sometimes criticise the running/budgeting of the club and I think the WS project has derailed us somewhat. However it's imperative we have the expertise and dedication of folk like Burrows at the heart of the club.

You couldn't be more wrong. I made one comment and then replied to a couple of responses to what I had said. What's desperate about that? I'm not in the slightest bit worried about Alan Burrows being GM or the job he is doing. By all accounts he's Motherwell to the core and is putting his heart and soul into the job and I applaud that. That's my first comment on the job he is doing so what is the story I am trying to make?

It's people like yourself who seem desperate to keep something going by quoting me and talking crap which will always get a response.

No fan club, just me failing to see the point of the thread, why not let him do the job he is paid for and if and when he does something that warrants praise or makes a complete James Hunt of something then we can discuss the merits of it on here, at least then we would have a definite issue to comment on.

The point of my thread was that I struggled to see how the guy got so much stick,even for things I thought were out side his remit as general manager even when it was obvious he was the kind of person who stepped up to the plate when the most trivial things needed done for the club

Posters with an opinion on a club employee = good guys.

Posters backing said employee= fan club.

It must have rocked the business world when Motherwell filled a job from within rather than hiring externally.Things like that absolutely never happen in real businesses.

Posters with an opinion on a club employee = good guys.

Posters backing said employee= fan club.

It must have rocked the business world when Motherwell filled a job from within rather than hiring externally.Things like that absolutely never happen in real businesses.

Posters who have completely missed the point = mjw

You have no idea which side of the debate I fall on.

I actually agree with Spiderpig in that there is nothing to talk about, as I believe the issue ankles has highlighted doesn't actually exist in that I don't think Burrows actually gets a hard time.

If you ignore the zoomers who would blame him for them stepping in dog shit outside the ground then I think the majority of fans are willing to sit back and see how he gets on. Whether they think he should have got the job in the first place is a completely separate matter.

• Like 2

The problem is he was the cheap easy option. No experience doing the job, just right place right time. Yes he's a Motherwell fan and probably bleeds claret and Amber, but that isn't a quality for a job. Lasley is Motherwell to the core, would everyone be happy if he had become manager because he was the cheap option and in the right place at the right time? Someone with no managerial experience? Burrows always offered a dream job and went with the heart, but the head should have told him he was way out his depth!

• Like 1

I've known Alan since we were teenagers on the Bellshill supporters bus and can confirm that he is indeed 'Motherwell through and through'. Haven't seen or spoken to him in years, and can't comment on what his remit is....which I think is the problem. Everyone assumed that he had taken on Dempsters job and that's why he may come in for criticism from time to time

I think Burrows does a good job from what I have seen. I totally admit I don't know the ins and outs of his day to day role but the things you do see I think have been for the greater good of the club.

The way he stood up for the fans and the club in rangers play off game was first class. For the first time that I can remember he stood his ground for what he thought was best for Motherwell as a club. In recent memory we have had chairmen/gm or whatever moving season ticket holders from their regular seats to accommodate the old firm, so this was refreshing to see someone sticking up for us and not just rolling over and letting them tickle our bellies like we have done in the past.

Yes he will and has had made mistakes but who on here hasn't made a mistake or made a judgement error at work? Having a Motherwell man through and through in such a position is a great thing in my opinion.

The problem is he was the cheap easy option. No experience doing the job, just right place right time. Yes he's a Motherwell fan and probably bleeds claret and Amber, but that isn't a quality for a job. Lasley is Motherwell to the core, would everyone be happy if he had become manager because he was the cheap option and in the right place at the right time? Someone with no managerial experience? Burrows always offered a dream job and went with the heart, but the head should have told him he was way out his depth!

Excellent, 4 pages in and we finally have someone 'in the know'. Please enlighten us -

If he's the 'cheap option' does that mean the GM salary is incremental? What's the scale and how much did the club save by employing someone at the bottom rung of that scale? Or did they just pick a number out of the sky? Also, what's the current role and remit of the GM and how does that compare to the Press and Media Manger post? Which parts of the GM post is beyond that of a multiple award winning press and media manager?

• Like 1

I've known Alan since we were teenagers on the Bellshill supporters bus and can confirm that he is indeed 'Motherwell through and through'. Haven't seen or spoken to him in years, and can't comment on what his remit is....which I think is the problem. Everyone assumed that he had taken on Dempsters job and that's why he may come in for criticism from time to time

I wasn't there, but I believe at one of either the club or Well Society Q&A's 'Flow's duties as GM were explained, including how they were different from the work that Dempster had been doing.

Four pages? Four fucking pages?

I've known 'flow for a long time, is he capable of doing the job he's employed to do? Lack of P45 and UB40 card suggest he is, his contract of employment and duties are between him and the club, if he's a cheap option then well done to the club for being frugal and getting someone in willing to put in the hours for little coin. I'm also sure if he was shite at his job he wouldn't have one, I doubt Motherwell are "pity fuck" employers

I do think the club still require someone with Dempster's drive and authority,but that's never going to be Mr Burrows

• Like 1