Away Crowds

CoF

Anyone know how the crowds we take away compare to those that come to Fir Park?

I probably go to one in three away games, and it always feels like we take a decent crowd comparative to the size of our home gate. This might be down to me choosing games which naturally seem a bit more appealing to the majority.

On the other hand, the away crowds at Fir Park have been poor for a few years (I think) and seem to have declined further this year. At first glance the sense of scale won't help, given that they sit in the huge away stand but the announced figures do seem smaller than we would take to an equivalent fixture away from home.

I've tried to do the math myself, but finding these figures is proving difficult.

Anyone know how the crowds we take away compare to those that come to Fir Park?

I probably go to one in three away games, and it always feels like we take a decent crowd comparative to the size of our home gate. This might be down to me choosing games which naturally seem a bit more appealing to the majority.

On the other hand, the away crowds at Fir Park have been poor for a few years (I think) and seem to have declined further this year. At first glance the sense of scale won't help, given that they sit in the huge away stand but the announced figures do seem smaller than we would take to an equivalent fixture away from home.

I've tried to do the math myself, but finding these figures is proving difficult.

I'd guess that Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts and Dundee United bring larger crowds (no surprise there then). We certainly take bigger crowds with us than Hamilton, Ross County, Inverness, St Johnstone, Killie and Partick. Probably the same as Dundee. So, you're probably right in that we punch slightly above our weight. You have to take gate prices and travelling costs, as well as geography into account. Killie's away support (and indeed home support) has plummeted in recent years. For their size Dundee united have a relatively poor away support.

I think it can be difficult to quantity as much depends upon timing and circumstance.

For example Dundee Utd coming to us for their first away game of the season on a Saturday with a 3pm kick-off is going to see a different volume of support to when they next come next month for a Friday night game, that's live on TV with them inching towards the First Division.

Similarly although the number of Caley fans who came down for the Scottish Cup game recently at £15 a head was a good bit more than the hundred or so they brought for paying £22 or £23 for the league game in November.

Just pointing out that sometimes you aren't always comparing like for like and things like that have to be taken into account when comparing crowds be that home, travelling or average crowds over a season.

Motherwell might be better placed but Kilmarnock has a capacity of something like 5000 in excess of Fir Park. An odd situation like we had a couple of years ago with three visits from Celtic in the one season; or even two visits that attract full houses, have the potential to really skew their average attendance when compared with their peers.

There are just so many variables involved that plain figures just don't always tell the full story.

Geographically Motherwell is better placed than somewhere like Kilmarnock in terms of getting to other grounds. It's also close to the motorway and is a major rail hub.

True. But that wouldn't explain why we (seem) take more to Killie than they bring to us. That's a hunch I've got about most our opposition.

Would agree with that for most teams but do we really take much of a support to Dingwall and ICT? I've always assumed their supports at Fir Park are boosted by Glasgow based students and that there's not much of a difference with those teams. But I'm basing this on nothing other than my imaginings as I don't generally go to those away games.

True. But that wouldn't explain why we (seem) take more to Killie than they bring to us. That's a hunch I've got about most our opposition.

Killie's support has plummeted over the past 3/4 years. In part it may be due to internal bickering with the owners but I think there was a rumpus a few years ago about ticket allocations at the then OF games, when home fans got shafted..

Away support averages about 10 -15 % of our home gate that's about under 400 to over 600 on a good day. Like to know how that % compares with other teams. Not based on hard facts just observations of the others around me with nothing else better do on a Saturday when we play away.

I always think the £23 we charge away fans is pretty steep, don't think they benefit from any of the free kid deals you get with your season book either.

Putting on a better offering, be it free kids, or cheaper adult or a bit of both could make Motherwell an away day people mark on the calendar. There's folk that go to games and will go to away games, but maybe just need a bit of persuading...

Not sure if the ICT example is a fair comparison, as it was the cup, but on face value, folk are willing to travel from Inverness at £15, but not at £23...

As an example, back when I used to go to all games home and away, I always said if I were to give up some if it got too expensive then I'd give up home games and continue to go away. As that has bourne out, it has proven to be the case. I make maybe 3 or 4 home games per season, but much more likely to go away.

Was talking to my friend about this and i think its a combination of factors i think we would get a bigger attendance if prices were lowered to 12 pounds home and away fans all teams

Secondly i think its intimidating for families that our ultra group are so close to the away fans so id maybe look to moving the bois elsewhere i mean yes we are used to our bois but travelling support parents dont want theyre bairns next to all that noise hence why stadiums have family stands

and to keep this on our own travelling support it is great ive only missed 3 away games all season and not missed a single home game

the one thing as a support i think we have taht is great which is why i travel across lanarkshire to watch this team is i think as far as passion for football i think our fan base is probably one of the most passionate supports in scotland at least when

Was talking to my friend about this and i think its a combination of factors i think we would get a bigger attendance if prices were lowered to 12 pounds home and away fans all teams

Secondly i think its intimidating for families that our ultra group are so close to the away fans so id maybe look to moving the bois elsewhere i mean yes we are used to our bois but travelling support parents dont want theyre bairns next to all that noise hence why stadiums have family stands

and to keep this on our own travelling support it is great ive only missed 3 away games all season and not missed a single home game

the one thing as a support i think we have taht is great which is why i travel across lanarkshire to watch this team is i think as far as passion for football i think our fan base is probably one of the most passionate supports in scotland at least when

Wow. Just, wow. More sinister things afoot in the queue for the pie stall methinks. I say we should move the kiosks to the far end of the East Stand and keep all the intimidating shenanigans in the one area.

Wow. Just, wow. More sinister things afoot in the queue for the pie stall methinks. I say we should move the kiosks to the far end of the East Stand and keep all the intimidating shenanigans in the one area.

Does seem a stretch!

Kids are known for hating noise, colour, flags...

:lol:

My 2 1/2 year old moved to sit closer to the end section at his last game.

He genuinely was more scared at an earlier game by one of the "porridge dribblers" in the season ticket sections hurling abuse (probably at one of our own players) and spraying him with pie.

vUz30nl.jpg

• Like 1

Its a suggestion i think if you were to talk to some of the other fans and ask them why they dont come to fir park (i mean for the away team) it could be one of the reasons like i say call me a bed wetter or name call however much u like

But i do like some of the stuff the bois do but theres a lot that they or to be fair to them some of the hangers on do that repulses me

I was sitting on the bus watching them brawl with st johnstones ultras ive been walking through kilmarnock and seen them fight not a mile away from the police station

i mean numbers came out and i mind someone else on this forum posted it we have one of the records for most incidents during the course of a season why is that open ur eyes and actually look at it

The bus i as well as many other of your fellow fans was on was held up last saturday cause your beloved bois wanted a brawl but im sorry i have a home to be gettin to and work to get ready

anyway enough said on the matter i have my opinion name call all you like but i really dont care calling me a bed wetter or any other nonsense aint gonna change my mind about them

Its a suggestion i think if you were to talk to some of the other fans and ask them why they dont come to fir park (i mean for the away team) it could be one of the reasons like i say call me a bed wetter or name call however much u like

But i do like some of the stuff the bois do but theres a lot that they or to be fair to them some of the hangers on do that repulses me

I was sitting on the bus watching them brawl with st johnstones ultras ive been walking through kilmarnock and seen them fight not a mile away from the police station

i mean numbers came out and i mind someone else on this forum posted it we have one of the records for most incidents during the course of a season why is that open ur eyes and actually look at it

The bus i as well as many other of your fellow fans was on was held up last saturday cause your beloved bois wanted a brawl but im sorry i have a home to be gettin to and work to get ready

anyway enough said on the matter i have my opinion name call all you like but i really dont care calling me a bed wetter or any other nonsense aint gonna change my mind about them

So, you have your opinion, they are like arseholes right? You aren't going to change your mind... This prejudice helps how?

Name call all I like? Beloved Bois? Wind your neck in. Give the text speak a bye too, it grates.

Speak to plenty of fans from other clubs & not one has mentioned not putting Fir Park down as an away trip given the location of the most intimidating of our support. If anything it's admired & offers something a little different to the mundane & general malaise around Scottish top flight football.

Unfortunately some were held up post match, not ideal, but, it wasn't the first time & certainly won't be the last. Given, I see off-field action as folly in this day and age, but, I'd expect any fan to defend against attack. Are you telling me this wasn't the case on Saturday? It's a long way around McDiarmid Park to where the buses are located from where the locals entered & left the stadium - how was this allowed to happen by stewards or those paid as upholders of the law?

As for open my eyes? Police Scotland statistics - the reasoning behind them has been done to death & truth is they mask against what IS happening. Definitely no more at ours than any other club. If those attached to our club were instigators in the main at home & on their travels, you can guarantee a clampdown by Officer Dibble would have been had long before now.

In current times, our 'Bois' align with the shift in fan behaviours in this country. As a more established group, I suspect, can set them as a target, I mean St Johnstone? Incidents where Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock & there like have become commonplace in recent seasons - wouldn't have been tolerated in years gone by. I've seen plenty of evidence where they rise above that, just so happens there is a need to stand up for themselves from time to time also. Not all the 'Bois' fault, as in any grouping, there will be hangers on, perhaps an unsavoury element - they can only self police so much.

Some valid points raised by some, many not so valid & just false. I would hope those who read them, take the positives & perhaps act on them.

• Like 2

You have got to be fuckin kiddin me

• Like 1

245 away ICT fans at Hearts tonight which seems a surprisingly large away support for them, particularly midweek, when we've seen them bring smaller supports to us on Saturdays. Is this just down to them having fans living in Edinburgh because it's a hell of a trek from Inverness if it's travelling fans?

Right. Some posts are beginning to smell of the ridiculous legislation bought in to victimise football fans.

That aside, I will state my experience. My stepdaughter, ex and I attended games from when the little one was twelve. We went to the family stand for her first Celtic game, having always been in the East Stand. I was concerned about the language, atmosphere and general hostilities, but mainly from the close proximity to the away end.

She hated the experience. The atmosphere was sterile and even at a young age, missed the banter and the screaming. On reflection, that is what football is about.

Voicing my opinion, which I'm entitled up do, but please, stop this 'bois removed' narrative.

There is no stereotypical football fan just as there is no "average" person. Some like to sit some like to stand. Some like a lot of noise in close proximity ie a drum others avoid it at all costs. Some like an end view and others like a centre of the pitch view. The trick is for clubs to try to cater for all tastes within the current legislation. Most fans do like a bit of atmosphere in the ground as a whole. Each to their own.