Radio Scotland - Team-Mates

grizzlyg

My Thistle supporting mate has just confirmed that it was Partick as he was at the game. Anyone got any pictures of this event?

bottom of this pagehttp://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Glasgow%20shawfield.htm , pretty sure thats Fir park, , theyre guessing 1998, maybe a different occasion,and prettty sure it wasnt a Rangers game but since the date 14th March 98 is mentioned , any excuse for this:

• Like 1

I know a bit off cup final topic but watching that win against rangers brings back some mixed memories. An absolutely fabulous win from a team that given the money spent putting it together, should never have been in the league position that they were.

There were some great players in that side, Tommy Coyne and the invaluable Owen Coyle (a player that I'd loved to hate before he came to us but was definitely McLeish's only truly decent signing) and if I recall big buff and Craggs at the back.

But of course, we also had Shaun McSkimming, Willie Faulkner, Kevin Christie and John Hendry to counter that balance.

It was also great to hear kirkie and fergie reminiscing the cup run and fergie was right, our name was on the cup all along. I just knew that after the Falkirk game, we were away.

I wonder who kirkie was referring to when he said about the striker that was just signed and got a start in his first game prompting kirkie to say to fergie "there he'll start the day and then he'll (wee tam) need to call on the professionals to come dig him out the hole and save his job".

Any guesses????

I don't remember him referring to any particular game. My first thought was Joe McLeod or Paul Kinnaird but it could've been any one of the multitude of McLean signings throughout his tenure who came and went such as Mark Caughey, Jamie Fairlie or Davie (armitage) Shanks.

I seem to remember a big guy who came up from England (maybe Doncaster), had a bit of skinhead and built like a brick shithouse and looked more at home stood wi the ss at the cage than on the pitch.

He had a rocket shot on him but little else and just sort of ran about pissing people off. There was some scandal about him either twatting somebody in training or in the pub and then disappeared?

bottom of this pagehttp://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Glasgow%20shawfield.htm , pretty sure thats Fir park, , theyre guessing 1998, maybe a different occasion,and prettty sure it wasnt a Rangers game but since the date 14th March 98 is mentioned , any excuse for this:

Still remember the headline: 'Muddy Marvel' on the back of the Motherwell Times; picture of Willie with his arms aloft. Tremendous day.

I know a bit off cup final topic but watching that win against rangers brings back some mixed memories. An absolutely fabulous win from a team that given the money spent putting it together, should never have been in the league position that they were.

There were some great players in that side, Tommy Coyne and the invaluable Owen Coyle (a player that I'd loved to hate before he came to us but was definitely McLeish's only truly decent signing) and if I recall big buff and Craggs at the back.

But of course, we also had Shaun McSkimming, Willie Faulkner, Kevin Christie and John Hendry to counter that balance.

It was also great to hear kirkie and fergie reminiscing the cup run and fergie was right, our name was on the cup all along. I just knew that after the Falkirk game, we were away.

I wonder who kirkie was referring to when he said about the striker that was just signed and got a start in his first game prompting kirkie to say to fergie "there he'll start the day and then he'll (wee tam) need to call on the professionals to come dig him out the hole and save his job".

Any guesses????

Not sure Craigan ever played alongside Martin. Our centre backs at that time were McCart, Krivokapic, Philliben, van der Gaag.

For any of the kids out there Kevin Christie was some player. The lanky white Tony Straker of his day. 90% of the time when the ball came to him it was akin to throwing a ping pong ball at a frightened kitten but occasionally he pull off a sort of Brazil 1970 skill that would take your breath away.

Also remember that Kevin Christie co-existed with Stevie Woods and Eddie May. Some back line. Aye, the football in those days put hair on your chest.

Craigan was signed by Alex McLeish and made his first few appearances under him and Martin was here until Kampman's cull of the veterans so not inconceivable that he would have played with Brian Martin at some point.

But Kevin Christie, aye..... from pinging pin point accurrate 40 yard cross field passes with ease one minute to being unable to find a team-mate four feet away the next.

Thinking about Kevin Christie, was having a conversation about our right back situation on Saturday. Kevin Christie is another example of a player we converted to a right back. Paul Quinn was a centre back initially (and is so again), Tom Hateley was a midfielder (or thought he was),

Luc Nijholt was a centre back converted to full back. Fraser Kerr also. I think Craig Reid played central defence before he came to us Other than Corrigan, Shannon and Burley, we've had a lot of people filling in at right back when it wasn't their natural position. Which is amusing given a couple of seasons ago, people on here were going on about us having a surplus of right backs...

Again, my memory isn't always the best but didn't Eddie May spend a lot of time at right back too? And yeah, Didn't Craggs only serve as a filler at that stage and was behind Greig Denham(?) in the pecking order?

What I do remember though is that those were dark days. A bit reminiscent of now really, we had previously enjoyed a period of success and were now suffering the hang over. Fan backlash was similar to now, the east stand (my usual haunt of the time) was not a happy place and would often empty with lots of game time left on the clock.

The players often looked disengaged (the only Motherwell team I have ever questioned the commitment of) and whilst the sequences are a bit out, you could swap Harri Kampman for Ian Barraclough (in terms of sheer ineptitude) and dare I say McGhee for McLiesh (in terms of dividing opinion).

May was a goal scoring left sided midfield before he came to us. He did to a job upfront in the Ian Ross game mind you.

That's what I remember May being like (Hibs & Falkirk ?) before McGinger tried to make him a right back. Did he not score in his first couple of games ?

Colin mcnair good pal of mine. Very troubled lad who's life just spiralled out of control.

Very talented footballer as well and such a waste.

What ever happened to him? Remember him being very highly rated but only made a handful of appearances before getting sacked, anyone happen to know the story with him and Jim Griffen? - Pretty sure I read once that McNair was found unconscious in a McDonalds toilets after injecting heroin which he did time for.

What ever happened to him? Remember him being very highly rated but only made a handful of appearances before getting sacked, anyone happen to know the story with him and Jim Griffen?

I'm sure Colin McNair was reported to have punched Jim Griffin and broken his jaw in a training ground bust up. As a result of that he was fired or so the story went.