Motherwell V Dundee Utd Fri 11 Mar 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Only saw the last twenty five minutes and the round up. United were sinking the clug later on but McDonald's elbow shot into Donaldson's face - he can argue he didn't mean it all day but I expect most refs would send you off for that. United's tackle that led to our first goal was an absolutely perfect tackle. Oh and Paton should have been off at the end.

However in the bit I saw live it was good to see us trying to play such nice stuff, we won nearly every second ball and other than a couple of corners United looked absolutely bereft of a plan.

By the way Chris Sutton is one tiresome bastard.

• Like 1

Chuffed with that thought the first half was relatively even, although the bt pundits felt Dundee United had the better of it. McDonald was extremely lucky not to get a red card and I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a game or two ban now when they have a look at it. Hopefully lasley and Pearson are ok , they didn't seem too bad so fingers crossed!

I thought tonight was like a match from a bygone age, both teams were wide open from start to finish, the complete antithesis of the modern game. I also thought we showed a lot of bottle tonight, Dundee Utd might be bottom but on tonights display they were far from the worst team we've played this season and looked very dangerous going forward, their pace and movement caused us a bit of bother.

Thought we were marginally the better team when Utd scored but they had definately been sharper in the final third. After that we looked a bit rattled and I was really sitting waiting for Utd's 2nd, it looked like it was coming. Luckily Ripley had a decent match on a night that was always going to be difficult for goalkeepers. Slowly got back into the match and scored just in the nick of time before the 45 half was up.

Second half I felt we dominated for most of the half and we actually played some really slick stuff at times and is was especially impressive in that we have three players basically kicked off the park and had to make changes at times when ideally we wouldn't have made them. Dom Thomas coming on for Lasley helped set up the second goal, caused problems down his side of the pitch and also got behind the ball and put a foot in.

Got a bit nervous in the latter stages as Utd pumped long balls into the box and used their height and strength advantage but we held out relatively comfortably.

Hard to pick a man of the match as I thought five or six guys could have got it. Hall and Cadden were excellent, McDonald and Moult did the work of two men each, Ripley had a good game between the sticks, Johnson, who I thought was rubbish in the first half, had a blinder in the second, all the subs came on and did well also.

Good stuff, entertaining match, if a little bit frightening at times, and a good atmosphere.

Two more wins will guarantee top level football but we should be aiming to finish Top 6. We might not manage it but I think that should be the aim. We have some tough matches coming up but we can take points of any of those teams if we perform to the level we are capable off and we should be confident enough to try and get those 6 points we need from the next 3 matches.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that tonight. Right good battle and we managed to play some good football at times while keeping our bottle throughout.

Credit to Skippy, Cadden and Thomas for their contributions when Lasley when off. Moult ran himself into the ground as usual while Marvin's quality made the difference.

Big 3 points but it could obviously be costly. McDonald is like to get a ban but hopefully Pearson and Lasley are ok. That was a helluva hit Lasley took, his attempt to get up epitomises the sheet steel of the man.

• Like 1

A good and important win.

Utd can whinge all they like about decisions, but any team that tries to waste time from the 23rd min of a game. kick and impede players off the ball, and fail to defend properly then tough titties.

I like Hammell alot, but his defending for their goal was pathetic. Play to the whistle, block the shot, etc. As for the right side of our defence in the first half, where was it? The second half the work rate, guile and commitment from all the players was immense, and for that we deserved our win.

I thought ferdinand and scholes had the petted lip cornered, but it seems Jackson has muscled in! Craigan and McAllister stayed neutral, but Jackson just grumpled utter biased mince. Get it up you Jackson.

• Like 1

was really open game and some great tackless.lasley off injured was like tackles that used to be the norm.we were better than them and thats not being biased but they looked dangerous as well. mcghee I feel is looking to do what served him well last time with 3 forwards but last time was better with mccormack.clarkson and porter but I hope im proved wrong as our front 3 now look gd. onwards and upwards and gomis was perfect when he came on.

Yes they are , showed it repeatedly saying has to be red.

Cheers will need to see highlights. Too far away to see and TV in cooper is an antique that should be on bargain hunt. If it was then fair enough will just need to take the punishment which will be sore as he was at the heart of everything tonight. playmaker/ midfielder/ defender/ chased down there keeper when wasting time so very early on and then the old head at the end killing time and always being an option for a pass. Guess who my MOTM is. ?

On one last note I hope UTD stay up and Hamilton and Killie go down with there plastic pitches that are Anti football also there pathetic away supports. Hats off to the 900+ UTD fans that made the trek on a Friday night with the game Live on TV when we can barely get over 3k for a home game home fans minus UTD BTW

• Like 2

A very satisfying evening indeed.

It is something we can be accused of on occasion but I thought we showed tremendous character to get the win.

United started as expected and were ripping us to shreds when they poured forward at pace, but had that chance from McDonald gone in that the keeper saved on the line it might have unnerved them. As it was we had to win it the hard way.

Fine goal by Anier. Not prolific but he always had a goal in him in his spell here and seems to be doing similar at last with Utd. But a great time for us to level and when you score through a Marvin Johnson header, well, perhaps you know it's going to be your night.

I thought the goal completely spooked Dundee Utd. They were never at the same level in the second half. We got the bit between our teeth and deservedly went ahead. By this point they had manage to destroy our central midfield inside an hour which made the getting in front and holding out as well as we did even more creditable. Sure he had to pluck the ball out of the air a couple of times but did Ripley have a save to make in that second half?

Lots of good passages of play, some fine performances and great endeavour from all.

The challenge is for them to continue to show the same level of intensity in the remaining three games to try to finish in the top half, and ensure we can't get dragged back into it, but there is no question players and management have done magnificently to get nine of nine from our last three games.