U20S In Cup Final

Coolhandluc

There was apparently 2500 fans (including jambo's as well) there which was much more than I'd expected.

I thought Hearts slightly shaded the first half but there was very few chances all round and we dominated the second half with Hall's error being the only downside.

The last two goals were terrific I'm looking forward to seeing them back on the highlights. I'd agree with most people that Campbell, Cadden and Thomas were the stands out but hopefully a few more of the youngsters will make the step up to the first team.

The first ever Motherwell team to win a youth Scottish cup. Happy days

Was surprised to see Ferguson and Mackin as I thought they were on loan at Airdrie. In fact Mackin scored for Airdrie at the weekend unless I imagined it!

Anyway, great to see a young Motherwell team triumph, they deserved it in the end.

Thought we started slow though and Hearts were the better team until their keeper made a rick of a corner and then we went 1-0 up. After that we found our stride and I always felt we could score as we were too hot for them in the wide areas. Of course Motherwell being Motherwell we made it hard for ourselves with two poor goals to give away, a free kick right before half time and then a bit of a defensive blunder. Overall I thought we looked much more potent going forward than Hearts did.

Robbie Leitch's goal looked a beauty from where I was sitting, will look forward to seeing that on the highlights. Falconer finished his chance well too.

Silverwear, maybe the big team will follow suit in the near future and it will be interesting to see how these young players get on as well.

Development loan rules allow them to play with their parent clubs 20s I think.

Aye, they have been turning out for the U20s most weeks and then playing for their 'big' team at the weekends.

On a different topic, we must surely have set the record for the number of Dylans in a Cup winning team.

Well done to the young lads and the management team of Stephen Craigan and Keith Lasley. We do seem to have real talent in the squad and I hope many of them progress to the first team. It will have been an experience for them to have played at Hampden, put in a good performance and won a cup. Some cracking goals to boot.

• Like 1

A fantastic result and the lads deserve full credit. With the exception of Leitchs little bit of magic, all goals came from some very good link up play.

Granted, the hearts goalie had an absolute 'mare, but the boys were clinical with the chances presented. Cads and Dom had their entire left side on toast but for me, they all won their individual battles.

I think the thing that impressed me most though was the manner in which Crags and Las has them playing, some excellent passing and movement. Because of this, they made far better use of the big pitch and particularly in the second half, stretched the jambos at will.

Fantastic stuff!!!

That was a cracking ball from Thomas for the 5th goal, and Cadden looks like an absolute beast compared to the rest of them. Really pleased with how he's progressed in the first team and looking forward to seeing how he kicks on next season.

There are a number of players I'm quite excited about, we seem to be in a fortunate position, Thomas was excellent, Campbell looks like a great player, even the bench looked strong was very impressed with Leitch.

The only negative was Makin interview after game, man of few words.

I thought the Alba coverage was superb

Having watched it again this morning, I have to say I still don't think the free kick we opened the scoring from was even a free kick, let alone a booking. Mind you, the one Hearts scored from didn't look like one either, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

The only negative was Makin interview after game, man of few words.

Looks like he's straight out of the Lee Erwin School of Media. Fair play tho he's just a young lad, most come over as morons anyway but if they can play, who cares.

Fantastic result and performance from a team of young lads, most of whom will be eligible for this team for another couple of seasons.

By all accounts Craigan was pretty ruthless with the young lads who’ve played in most of the games and were benched for the final, basically told them they weren’t good enough!! Lovely to see young Leitch has a bit about him to say “f**k you, I am good enough” when he came on. Also wee Falconer with a great finish for a 16 yr old!! Looks like a really good crop of youngsters, just hope they can make the step up in class over the next couple of years. Things definitely looking bright.

Wasn't Thomas Tony - number 17 (Robbie Leitch).

So it was. Excellent pass over the defender, pure Y-button stuff. It was good to see how much it meant to the likes of Lasley, Hammell, McFadden as well. I know they've been involved on the coaching side, but still good to see how much they enjoyed it.

By all accounts Craigan was pretty ruthless with the young lads who’ve played in most of the games and were benched for the final, basically told them they weren’t good enough!! Lovely to see young Leitch has a bit about him to say “f**k you, I am good enough” when he came on. Also wee Falconer with a great finish for a 16 yr old!! Looks like a really good crop of youngsters, just hope they can make the step up in class over the next couple of years. Things definitely looking bright.

Who played most of the games and didnt get playing the final? Looking at the stats Hall + Cadden played in most rounds of the cup. Don't think it was ruthless, I think we played our best team, who are all under 20, regardless of whether they have now made the first team.

i was talking with regard to Leitch who's started all the games. Leitch highlighted this in his interview afterwards?

I'm not saying ruthless in an entirely negative way either, sometimes you have to be harsh with certain players to get the best or more out of them. I don't disagree at all with the team selection as we should be playing our best team. What I was happy with and what I thought I highlighted was the attitude of the boys coming on who wanted to prove a point. It's easy for a boy of 16/17 to be told he's not playing and not good enough, to go into a shell......clearly they didn't......which is good!!

I think its worth bearing in mind that the team who won the cup last night was not just the product of Stephen Craigan & Keith Lasley's guidance over the past year or so (they have done very well) but also of our scouts from 2/3/4 years ago. A feature of youth schemes is that they take several years to bear fruit and it takes along time to find out if they are working or not.

Two more interesting thoughts - Hamilton, who are recognised as having a very good youth scheme have never won the cup. How many of our lads from last night have been picked to represent Scotland?

I think its worth bearing in mind that the team who won the cup last night was not just the product of Stephen Craigan & Keith Lasley's guidance over the past year or so (they have done very well) but also of our scouts from 2/3/4 years ago. A feature of youth schemes is that they take several years to bear fruit and it takes along time to find out if they are working or not.

Two more interesting thoughts - Hamilton, who are recognised as having a very good youth scheme have never won the cup. How many of our lads from last night have been picked to represent Scotland?

No denying a successful youth system takes time to bear fruit. But, when the head of youth development and the man appointed to take the helm at the development squad figured they had the 'worst crop' of youngsters you have to say the sterling work done to even get them to last night's platform is just the product of their guidance...

But, when the head of youth development and the man appointed to take the helm at the development squad figured they had the 'worst crop' of youngsters you have to say the sterling work done to even get them to last night's platform is just the product of their guidance...

Really? I wasn't aware of this.

Thought Thomas and Campbell were the difference in the game. Felt to me that Hearts had more of the game but when one of those two got on the ball something could happen which didn't really happen going the other way, their goals being from a set play and a cock up highlighting as much.

Lots to be positive about and would love to see the two mentioned getting a start (not necessarily the same game) for the first team before the end of the season and would expect some of the others to be there next season or the one after. Suspect Campbell is maybe a tad lightweight but would give him something to work on over the summer to bulk up a bit by letting him see that now.

Thought Thomas and Campbell were the difference in the game. Felt to me that Hearts had more of the game but when one of those two got on the ball something could happen which didn't really happen going the other way, their goals being from a set play and a cock up highlighting as much.

Lots to be positive about and would love to see the two mentioned getting a start (not necessarily the same game) for the first team before the end of the season and would expect some of the others to be there next season or the one after. Suspect Campbell is maybe a tad lightweight but would give him something to work on over the summer to bulk up a bit by letting him see that now.

I was actually amazed by how relatively strong Campbell looked. He's come on a fair bit since I last seen him and closer to the first team than I thought.