Accies Chief Rips Into Spl Over Well Pitch Fine

Wellworn

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa..._pitch_fine.php

HAMILTON chairman Ronnie MacDonald has slammed the state of the pitch at Motherwell's Fir Park.

Accies were forced to shell out £550,000 to rip up their artificial Field Turf pitch and relay a natural grass surface with undersoil heating to meet SPL criteria after their promotion to the top tier last term.

And St Mirren were forced to do likewise at Love Street despite the fact they had already posted their decision to move to a new stadium.

And the New Douglas Park supremo has been left raging as Well have received a nominal £20,000 fine for a heating system that has been erratic over the past two years.

advertisementempty.gifMacDonald said: "It cost us a lot of money to tear-up a state-of-the-art surface and yet Motherwell are allowed to let their pitch get into that state.

"The ridiculous thing is we could have used the Field Turf, but only if we had undersoil heating under an artificial pitch.

"It is common knowledge that Fir Park's undersoil heating hasn't worked for some time, so it is up to the SPL to get tougher rules, not on ensuring undersoil heating, but ensuring pitches are in good condition."

Meanwhile, SFA chief executive Gordon Smith has admitted he is looking at a way to push through emergency loans to keep clubs solvent during a proposed two-month winter shutdown.

Smith was shocked at the state of Fir Park after taking in Sunday's clash between Motherwell and Celtic.

"Now he wants a winter shutdown pushed to the top of the game's agenda. He said: "If there was an agreement then we could look and see if there was some way of taking care of the financial aspect.

"That will need to be looked at because it would take away the cash-flow argument. The Fir Park pitch is pretty poor. They have had more problems than most.

"I feel that playing through January and February is what does most damage to the pitches."

Pat Nevin offers an insider's view in the Sun today.

Very enlightening .............. for the Sun that is :D but according to him the pitch will never be fixed and we'd be cheaper moving.

I can see us ground sharing with the Filthies while The Craig is built. :wacko:

I'd rather we play at Livingston! No way would I go whilst in the knowledge that were paying they mingin jypo's to play on their shite!

Accies were forced to shell out £550,000 to rip up their artificial Field Turf pitch and relay a natural grass surface with undersoil heating to meet SPL criteria after their promotion to the top tier last term.

Lucky for Accies SPL look lightly on Undersoil Heating not working properly. Last time I checked Accies didn't have a fully working USH either...