Inverness Ct V Motherwell Sat 2 Apr 15:00

Yabba's Turd

After the monumental effort that's taken us from 11th to 4th in 2 months, I'd be surprised if McGhee was willing to take risks with youngsters and end the campaign with a whimper in 6th place. I think we will see a few untested come in here and there from the 20s at comfortable points in games (comfortably winning or comfortably gubbed), but I think he'll still be aiming for a very strong finish to the season.

Aye would be good to see some of the other boys get a run out.

It's about £110k extra for finishing 5th instead of 6th (and another 100k or so on top of that if 4th)

Not to be sniffed at

WTF was our formation for the last 15? It kinda fucked any momentum we had cause we had no mosfield and so bypassed it in favour of the 5 strikers lol.

Moult is a great worker and Marvin is a talent,both will command us fees. Bog Kennedy was commanding too,similar to big Hutch.

we really need to replace Law & Las in the summer tho. Law was relatively solid but lost his man a few times at the back post, 1 time when we should really have been punished. Lasley was the worst player on the pitch as well. Half an hour late to every tackle,couldnt find a man with amy kind of pass and just generally slow and awful. Not convinced Gomis is the answer eithet

Was at the game today what an ending from Johnson didn't see that coming!

Me neither, we very poor, even diabolically bad at times, Ainsworths mis hit goal, with the keepers help, typified the match for me.

The saying " if you can win when not playing well" comes to mind. Absolutely no creativity in centre mid. If we can get to fourth with the present players what could we do with some skill in there.I can only remember Johnson getting one pass in the first half and that was a foot from the line. Dare I say it again, Lasley and Gomis cannot play together, Gomis is slower than Lasley.

I would agree with much of what you say Andy but I'm with Ya bezzer. Swansea City are a cracking example of that.

Managers come and go but if the infrastructure is there, then it'll be easier and more attractive to deliver their required job description and deliver the footballing side of business plan. That in itself will attract other clubs and potential talent to nurture, be it footballers or managers. Mark McGhee, Ian Baraclough or Mickey Mouse it doesn't matter, make it work and they'll look to push on for a "better" job.

Also, I don't get this whole "McGhee left us in a mess" stuff. If I remember it correctly, McGhees playing budget was reduced considerably whilst with us and the majority of that squad was allowed to walk away by the then board/owner.

Such decision making does not sit entirely with a manager and again (happy to be proven wrong as it was some years ago now) Gannon was recruited to source cheaper, raw talent from England and develop the youngsters.

Again, I'm not entirely sure why McGhee should get the blame for that.

Yes, next season will be more of a challenge than this one, it'll be stronger and we will lose talent. But none the less, the signs are promising that McGhee will can maintain our SPFL status, which should be the realists objective.

• Like 1

Thought it was a poor match, with only one team actually looking as it they were going to win it, with us looking like we were playing for a draw from early on. Out with the two goals, we had one or two other half chances and that was about it. The ICT keeper made a complete mess of the opener and it was a breakaway for the winner. ICT never created too much themselves but did have a bit of pressure, especially at the end.

Thought Lasley had a shocker yesterday and would have taken him off instead of Gomis myself. Thought McManus was solid at the back and won everything in the air with Kennedy. Kennedy looks solid in the air but a bit of a bomb scare and will be good for a few bloopers a season.

Thought the ICT number 28 (Mutombo??) was the best player on the park but a mile. Caused us lots of problems.

5/5 for McGhee and top 6 all but confirmed! His win record is better than it was in his last spell!

I would agree with much of what you say Andy but I'm with Ya bezzer. Swansea City are a cracking example of that.

Managers come and go but if the infrastructure is there, then it'll be easier and more attractive to deliver their required job description and deliver the footballing side of business plan. That in itself will attract other clubs and potential talent to nurture, be it footballers or managers. Mark McGhee, Ian Baraclough or Mickey Mouse it doesn't matter, make it work and they'll look to push on for a "better" job.

Also, I don't get this whole "McGhee left us in a mess" stuff. If I remember it correctly, McGhees playing budget was reduced considerably whilst with us and the majority of that squad was allowed to walk away by the then board/owner.

Such decision making does not sit entirely with a manager and again (happy to be proven wrong as it was some years ago now) Gannon was recruited to source cheaper, raw talent from England and develop the youngsters.

Again, I'm not entirely sure why McGhee should get the blame for that.

Yes, next season will be more of a challenge than this one, it'll be stronger and we will lose talent. But none the less, the signs are promising that McGhee will can maintain our SPFL status, which should be the realists objective.

A fair and reasoned response Gadgey and indeed earlier from Ya Bezzer and Sinjy also. I totally get that interest in our manager if and when it came would mean things have gone well.

Again I acknowledge I may well be worrying about nothing since there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of interest or itchy feet but I can't shake the feeling at the back of my mind that McGhee still seeks to attain that fulfillment as a manager he believes he hasn't had - and I'm not so sure that would be at Fir Park.

Swansea is a decent example of a seemingly seamless transition from manager to manager but a little closer to home clubs such as Dundee Utd and Hibernian illustrate the importance of having the right person at the helm where in the recent past they also had a rich pool of talent coming through and a structure in place.

As regards McGhee's first term important to make a distinction between McGhee "leaving us in a mess" as you put it, which wasn't at all what I was trying imply, and him being not appearing to be overly keen on a rebuilding job on a lower budget. In reference to Gannon and what he did in terms of recruitment, you actually make my very point that this was what was required but McGhee chose to go elsewhere rather than do it.

I'm not apportioning blame at all on him for the board deciding to move on promising players and cutting the budget but the fact of the matter is that we are likely to be revisiting this very scenario very soon, and potentially more than once in the coming seasons. I just wonder what he'll do this time around and where it leaves us.

Ultimately of course the root of my concern is that when we seem to be in a pretty good place I just fear something that knocks us off course.
  • Like 1

Anyone else having problems viewing/accessing the highlights on the Club site?

Getting an error message saying that the highlights have been removed.

That's working for me. They had problems with it playing on mobiles last night, dont know if the old videos been removed.

The ball from Ainsworth for the winner was excellent, Marvin's first touch was excellent, that was the point that I realised he wasn't going to lob the keeper as I expected, then he passed it into the net, he must have only put the ball 6 inches past the keeper. Remember the days when we didn't score from outside the box.

A very important win yesterday for us although the performance wasn't that impressive. We were and still are due a bit of good luck and Inverness will rue missing their chances. Marvin's goal was fit to win any game and coming as it did at the death made it all the more enjoyable for those who travelled.

I wasn't at the game but based on comments on this board and from those who did go it seems it we lacked creativity in the central midfield and that maybe wasn't surprising given the combination of Gomis & Lasley. We also seemed to allow Inverness a lot of freedom down our flanks. However the team won and credit should go to Mark McGhee and the management team and of course the players. Make no mistake it was a big result.

Was at the game yesterday, this is the first time I've had the chance to share my thoughts.

The first half was very flat from both us and Inverness. There were a lot of misplaced passes but neither side seemed to be playing with the urgency to capitalise. We looked dangerous from a few set plays and Inverness managed a couple of moves but we defended well and the few times they won the ball one of McManus or Kennedy were close enough that they couldn't get any purchase on shot or header.

What was clear was that Lasley looked a yard off his normal pace, especially in the opening 30 minutes and it seemed clear to me that bringing Leitch on would have been the thing to do but McGhee persevered and his stiffness seemed to wear off as we neared half time. What was really impressive was the way we pressed yesterday. There were a couple of times Inverness were nearly at our D and we were able to force them to pass it back to Fon Williams.

The start of the second half wasn't much better but Gomis was on the receiving end of a heavy tackle and for all he looked OK, like Lasley he didn't seem to be able to reach top gear and Leitch replaced him. Bringing Ainsworth on for Cadden seemed to stretch their defence a bit when we did attack and for all Cadden hadn't done much wrong this was the change that gave us a bit of space to play in.

Less said about our first goal the better. Possibly the weirdest I've ever seen. Likewise the less said about Lasley's tackle the better too. I think that forced McGhee's hand into removing him as he was a bit slow and Fletcher deputising saw the unusually quiet McDonald into midfield.

As we closed in on full time Inverness were really going at us but McManus and Kennedy were excellent and we got the breakaway as they over-committed. I think Inverness shaded the game but probably didn't do enough to deserve to win it but I can see why John Hughes was sore to lose. But at the end of the day, other than the penalty we generally defended properly and they didn't and that is why we took three points.

Thought Hammell really struggled yesterday and apart from fleeting moments we really struggled to get Moult and McDonald into the game, but three excellent points and really good to see us looking a threat from set plays and also defending them a lot better. Ainsworth is so frustrating, bringing him on probably won us the game but so lazy when the ball is with his direct opponent.

McGhee certainly has made us harder to beat and he has us believing and in this league confidence is worth a goal of a start just about and that is what saw us home.

Onwards to the Celtic game.

In fairness he was returning from injury and the players had had a few days off.

I know that I just called it out because although Lasley > Leitch, I think Leitch > Lasley minus a yard and once it was clear in a match environment that he was a yard of the pace we should have made the change which in turn may have prevented the penalty.

Just watched the highlights. How the hell did that ainsworth goal go in? Not that I don't like that we got the luck for once. Even worse than Cammy Bell one as the defender on the line missed it too.lol

The funniest part was Ainsworth holding his head in anguish at sclaffing his shot and then watching it go in.

Looked like his left foot just gave way under him as he hit it, but no way the keeper should have let it in.

Happy to take it, though.

• Like 1